Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Clean Ethanol from OTC Yeasts and chemicals
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 7-12-2014 at 02:05

Quote:

I will try to put up some photos. This one is a, "what's wrong with this picture?"

Hah....the thermometer port! Well why not, if it fits and you can plug the center opening, I see no cracks in this particular setup. Except perhaps a reflux ratio regulator and the size of the system.

I've been active in the EtOH field for a looooooong time :)

A couple of pointers for clean fermentation of sucrose:

1) Do not use dry east. It will usually produce a lot of byproducts and nasties that have to be separated by the still afterwards. Use fresh unfrozen bakers yeast whenever possible.

2) Time factor is of great importance. Ferment quickly at suitably elevated temperatures (e.g. 35C) with ample amounts of fresh yeast. Say 70g of yeast for 1kg of sugar in the solution. It may sound like a lot, but it will make all the difference in the world. The whole fermentation should be over in a total maximum of 7 days.

3) Do not stress the yeast with high concentrations of sugar. A maximum of 20% sugar solution should be used, the lower the quicker and cleaner will be the resulting brew. If one goes higher, the result is a lagging, stressed and dirty fermentation with a lot of losses that leave a bad taste.

4) Concept of simplicity...the more crap you throw into the fermenter, the more you will have to remove from the resulting brew to get a clean product. So forget about all the yeast accelerators, feeds, fertilizers and organic additives. Keep it simple and quick: sugar+water+plenty of fresh yeast+elevated temperature for 7days. It's practically impossible to screw up.

[Edited on 7-12-2014 by markx]

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 16-12-2014 at 21:02

Well I still havnt got the GAS for the GC/MS, this was a admin thing to do with having Hydrogen, I have that side sorted so just raising the cash to get the first bottles. BUT I have been experimenting ALOT with yeast and bacteria and fermentation.
Yes I am currently trying out mutations, I am also isolating the organisms from any batches that seem to distil well, until the GC is up and running I cant quantify anything accurately.
All batches except what I call my promise batch are 400ml, currently I have 26 batches running. Isolation of the organisms and selection was proving a PITA!
Then dad showed me a really neat trick for quick selection! You get a wood cylinder and stretch silk tightly over it, this is just the correct size to fit into a petri dish. The silk has thousands of tiny points per sqr inch, so you press this gently onto the master plate, the little needles act like tiny pipettes and when you inoculate new agar dishes with the silk (upto 12 I have managed from one press of master), it gives a precise replica of the master plate, so if you have say a yellow colonie in the right corner and a white one in the left its the same for the new plates.
You can then develop the plates and flood with selective agents to see what remains. Sorry if I havnt explained that well, apparently its common practice in micro labs and I will look in the books and grab a reference.
I have attached a brewing paper, it isnt great in places as some the info is now a little out of date.
Fascinating stuff when you get into it, I am trying to build up a small stain collection etc but they cost a fortune here in the uk, I did order a set from the states, it was great value but for reason they stuck duty and collection and admin costs on it at customs because the company wouldnt say it was a gift! and low value :(, in the end I couldnt afford the tax and so I never got it!! Loosing money like that stings!!
I dont have as much access to dads stuff biology wise because of the whole chain of custody thing for experiments, the uni he does research for has tightened up on off site experiments, so any time I borrow a stain he risks being told the results of what he is doing are not valued because of potential contamination.
yeah I guess he could lie and turn a blind eye......But he isnt like that, he wont risk a hard won reputation on a cock up of mine lol.
ANYWAY............. At some point I will run all the samples I have kept through the GC and swamp you all with data! With yeast I am finding immobilization in spheres under 2mm works really really well if you use isolated colonies from agar plates.
I wash them straight after the waster wash with HCL 25% for around 23 seconds, then into Bicarb for 30 secs then distilled water before putting into fermentation culture. Since doing this I have had no wild run offs from cells escaping off the side of the alginate balls.
I rigged up a stretched glass pipette so its realy thing, this goes into a jar of the microbe solution va silicon tube, the jar is sealed and another tubes uses aquarium air pump and valve to produce a constant fast drip rate of tiny beads into the water bath where they go solid on contact.
I can make huge amounts of alginate balls in around 5 mins this way.
LG

Attachment: microbiology of maltinf and brewing.pdf (1.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 615 times

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top