Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Are you F*&$%#@ kidding me?!?
FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2005 at 23:38
Are you F*&$%#@ kidding me?!?

Space vehicle propelled by the pressure of inflationary vacuum state

US Patent #6960975

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with the patent examiners at the USPTO?

[Edited on 15-11-2005 by FrankRizzo]
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 15-11-2005 at 03:28

Yes, another piece of pure BS patented by someone. All too common, I’m afraid.

I have personally lost faith in the patent office. It seems that anyone can get a patent on anything these days. Many of these patents out there are completely ridiculous, for example all the perpetual motion machines.

Then there are patents on things that already existed, e.g. genes. I’m sure we’re all sick of those things by now.

But software patents are the worst of these offenders. They often patent something trivial and obvious (like opening a file with a web browser). Instead of plainly saying what they claim, however, the patents are written in a language so totally unintelligible that even patent lawyers can’t make heads or tails of them.

Some reforms are needed, and fast.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 15-11-2005 at 03:36

Thank god they didn't allow software patents in the EU ... as per ruling recently. I hope it lasts. One thing where the EU's done a good job me thinks.

Have a look here, the famous patented webshop:
http://webshop.ffii.de/index.en.html
A tabbed palette is patented, who'd have thought? Every developer on earth would have to pay royalities to the ingenious developer :o
The ironic thing is, major software developers (M$, Sun, Oracle, etc etc) don't sue each other over it, cus they know they'd sue until the end of time. Instead, they use the sueing for the small boys, so that they can't grow big --> less competition.
Capitalism in that form *sucks*!

Edit: Did you understand how that space vehicle works? Apparently it generates a gravity well (aka space time curvature) in front of the vehicle, to which the vehicle 'falls' and is thus continuously accelerated, while of course the curvature is continuously moved forward.

Sounds remarkably like a perpetuum mobile.

More to the point - how do you generate a space time curvature other than putting a great mass there?
It says
Quote:
A cooled hollow superconductive shield is energized by an electromagnetic field resulting in the quantized vortices of lattice ions projecting a gravitomagnetic field that forms a spacetime curvature anomaly outside the space vehicle

:o:o

[Edited on 15-11-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2005 at 10:48

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo

More to the point - how do you generate a space time curvature other than putting a great mass there?[

Right, you can't, as this would assume an infinite amount of energy being available.
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2005 at 14:02

Very simple actually:

E = mc

thus it follows (after some simple reasoning) that

1 = 0

So, a mass of 1 x 10^10 kg in front of your ship will create a gravitational pull on your ship of

G * mass<sub>ship</sub> * 10^10 kg / (distance ^ 2)

while your ship will produce no gravitational pull on the mass. Since you obviously connect the mass to the ship (to prevent their coming apart), the ship and the mass will accelerate indefinitely.

Simple, no?
FPMAGEL
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 22:07

"Many of these patents out there are completely ridiculous, for example all the perpetual motion machines."
And the world was flat 200 years ago, until the weight of all the creatures on earth bend it.

To move in space great a magntic field> solar radation and there was something else that will make the craft move.

As you can tell i think i have invented a PMM deivce, these one down side to stop it speeding up indefinitley is to use energy to slow it down. The best way i can think is a friction break with a wind turbine produce energy to power a cooling system.

Anyone out there that is building a PMM this will come in handy +1 + -1 == 0 , +1 + 0 == +1 , ie 0 == balance +1 or -1 == change. I'am not going to tell you how it will come to use, I NEED $10,000 NZ, anyone intersedted?
azaleaemerson
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 05:57

Check out the inventor's website:

http://borisvolfson.com/

He's selling the idea.

azalea
sylla
Alchimiste Belge Notoire

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 09:59

If all you want is to be rich, then patent stupidity.

What I claim : I invented a new and original way of acting like an idiot. I will call my invention stupidity.

1/ Stupidity is new and original. My invention looks like something absolutely inexisting and new.

2/ Stupidity hasn't be known by the public. My invention is new, the proof is that nobody ever mentionned that he has been stupid.

3/ Stupidity can be achieved at industrial scale. My invention is useful for the sake of humanity.

From these days, anyone acting like an idiot will have to give me royalties. Thank you and may the stupidity be with you.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 12:46

"Seriously, what the hell is wrong with the patent examiners at the USPTO?"
Nothing. It was never their job to establish whether or not an invention worked- just that it was novel and not obvious.
It seems a little harsh to criticise them when they are doing what they get paid for.

Just out if idle curiosity, roughly what do you think the patent office would cost to run if they had to experimentally verify all the new inventions?
Now you know why that's not their job
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 15:06

Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino
Very simple actually:

E = mc

thus it follows (after some simple reasoning) that

1 = 0

So, a mass of 1 x 10^10 kg in front of your ship will create a gravitational pull on your ship of

G * mass<sub>ship</sub> * 10^10 kg / (distance ^ 2)

while your ship will produce no gravitational pull on the mass. Since you obviously connect the mass to the ship (to prevent their coming apart), the ship and the mass will accelerate indefinitely.

Simple, no?

E = mc² :P

assuming the gravitational distortion would be 2km in front of the ship and the ship would have a mass of 5 * 10^5kg (500 tonnes) it would require more than to 58 million years to achieve near c-speeds. :P

Oh and that's ignoring relatavistic effects which would make it take even longer :P

Oh and, if the grav. dist. is fixed to the ship that would mean the ship would be pulled apart by the grav. dist.

[Edited on Tue/Jan/2006 by Nerro]
FPMAGEL
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 04:00

I can't remember the name(though i was at the site today), but if you put to flat surfaces(FLAT), one atom apart it makes a proper vaucum. You want to hear fucked thoerys some people belive they can great anti-gravity by have a large disc rotating quickly and 65telse Mfield on the inside of it. Yes two magetnics repel each other, and they don't even mention close to sub zero temptures. How the hello are you going to get into sub-space with all that heat around, damn you would need all the power on earth.

[Edited on 14-1-2006 by FPMAGEL]
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 09:27

The first thing you mentioned is known as the Casimir effect. You won't get any useful energy or motion out of it.

Go To Top