Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TNP and Ammonium Picrate
Deceitful_Frank
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pensive

[*] posted on 15-11-2005 at 10:59
TNP and Ammonium Picrate

This may seem a little far fetched but the other day I was at the "range", this is a large store that seems to sell pretty much everything and anything... maybe similar to the "walmart" that some of you guys have in the states and in canada.

I noticed that they sold mothkiller but not as napthalene but as 98.5% 1,4 dichlorobenzene and earlier today I learned that TNP can be made very efficiently from chlorobenzene.

Any ideas on how to get rid of that other chlorine atom (if this is necessary) or should I just go out and find the cheapest source of asprin available?

Also, what do you chaps think of converting TNP to ammonium picrate? Is it more powerful, safer or a better explosive than the former? I have heard that ammonium picrate is similar in power and sensitivity to TNT though I am not sure if is castable and as "usable"

Thanks in advance
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 15-11-2005 at 11:14

Check out orgsyn.org

REDUCTION OF ORGANIC HALIDES. CHLOROBENZENE TO BENZENE

Submitted by: D. Bryce-Smith and B. J. Wakefield
Checked by: William G. Dauben and Louis E. Friedrich
Published in Annual Volume 47, page 103
Collective Volume 5, page 998

Substitute the quantity of chlorobenzene required by an equimolar quantity of your paradichlorobenzene, you'll end up with some benzene and some dichlorobenene remaining but likely you will get a respectable yield of chlorobenzene. The only real hangup to the reaction is the solvent used although a substitue could likely be found. Mind you that 2-propanol is just isopropyl alcohol in the reaction if you decide to follow up on it.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 15-11-2005 at 15:56

I was thinking about this myself a while ago, but for the chlorobenzene, not to make picric out of. I just thouht of this now, it should work in theory, but some side reactions I may not have thought of may occur.. React the PDCB with 1mol ratio of silver nitrite, for p-nitrochlorobenzene, reduce using whatever, Sn in HCl perhaps, diazotize, react with (I think) ethanol(specific conditions here, which I forget currently) and you are at chlorobenzene!

Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 15-11-2005 at 17:00

The following patents are relevant

US1366048
GB126685

Go To Top