Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can I use Al tubing?
blindreeper
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-3-2003 at 22:23
Can I use Al tubing?

I have plans for a home made condenser but it reqiuers a HNO3 resitant material. Is Al tubing good for it? I only want to concentrate my 70% HNO3 with H2SO4 to make the odd batch of RDX. I have all the glass and stoppers but will the Al tubing do? Also I am using rubber stoppers and they will get eaten by the HNO3 but if I put Al foil around it would that work? Or even better petrolium jelly (vasiline) would that be reistant or would it just get eaten?
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid

[*] posted on 1-3-2003 at 23:25

Yes Al tubing will work. But it must be 100% pure or else it will get eatten away slowly. Al foil will work but only use it one time it will get attacked slowly. And NO don't use petrolium jelly. Al foil is good enough. You may want to create a better seal by using teflon tape its chemically resistant to almost anything.

TNT
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

sad.gif posted on 2-3-2003 at 15:22

Al is resistant towards HNO3 but absolutely not towards H2SO4...then best way to dehydrate it would be to use nitrate salt dehydratants!

I don't know if Al will be more resistant in a mix of H2SO4/HNO2 than in H2SO4 alone?

Maybe make a trial with a sample of Al pipe see if it corrodes:
-In HNO3 cold
-In HNO3 warm
-In H2SO4 cold
-In H2SO4 warm
-In HNO3/H2SO4 cold (60/40) mix
-In HNO3/H2SO4 warm (60/40) mix

:P

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
DeusExMachina
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-3-2003 at 10:40

cover the part of your rubber stoppers that are going to be exposed to the HNO3 with teflon tape... my chmistry still isn't good( and even worse since I left it for like a month and im just starting to get back to it now) so I i don't know for sure if Al will work. Don't make the same mistake as a me and waste money on copper tubes.. ahaaha i'm stupid

Anders Hoveland
Banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 00:11

Al dissolved in my 60% nitric acid.
However, it seemed resistant to 10% H2SO4, however that may have been because it was pool grade and contained a corrosion inhibitor ?
Aluminum foil did not get burned by pure NaHSO4, but when a little bleach was added, it did slowly burn, even though the solution was still acidic.

I used aluminum foil to direct sulfur trioxide vapor without problems.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 02:03

Quote:
I used aluminum foil to direct sulfur trioxide vapor without problems.

I can see Al resisting anhydrous SO3 but a trace of H2O should make SO3 rapidly corrode Al. . .

Go To Top