The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 22-12-2014 at 15:58

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
blogfast, that's such a legit title.

Please explain what you mean?

Oh, I just meant :HITLER & FLUORIDE added High Dose to Water at Concentration Camps Keep People LIKE WALKING DEAD was a good title.
Saponification videos usually have really bad chemistry tidbits in them.

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 23-12-2014 at 12:37

Proof God exsists; peanut butter, The atheist's nightmare.
I actually liked the video, because the poster clearly posted it as satire, although the person who's talking thinks he's right.

Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 23-12-2014 at 12:54

Testing explosives from The Anarchist Cookbook
This is one of the worst videos I've seen. Terrible safety measures, scientifically illiterate idoits creating lame "explosives" - non of which are actual explosives.
Using the wrong equipment, and worst of all, they tested the shittiest "explosives" in the damn book!
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 23-12-2014 at 20:39

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
I'm surprised no one seems to have linked to this one yet (correct me if I'm wrong on that): extraction of uranium from a high count carbonaceous U ore by the pool side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRdZouC7CRo

Watch him dry his impure U compound with a blower heater! (in the comments he claims it was fine because... the garage doors were closed! Ooo-kaay)

It's an impressive case of a guy who on the one hand seems to understand the chemistry well, yet on the other hand is clueless with regards to radiation hazards...

[Edited on 14-12-2014 by blogfast25]

Help me a little here. Just how radioactive is the.materual he is working with? He has concentrated several kg of ore down to a couple of grams. But how potent are those rocks to begin with? What does 4000 cpm mean in terms of hazard value?
You can tell I have zero actual experience of radioactive substances beyond a smoke alarm.
I will admit that the whole process freaked me out a but. If it was a mercury or cadmium ore and he applied the same lack of care I would be very concerned. How much more concerning is this U refinement with both chemical and radiation risks?
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2014 at 07:38

J_sum:

The man to ask about that here is Dan Vizine.

blargish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Mode Push

[*] posted on 24-12-2014 at 09:02

This isn't a bad video per se; very entertaining :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dj34MYvnY

The guy who accidentally sets his lithium metal alight on his desk (presumably in his bedroom) takes the cake!

BLaRgISH
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 24-12-2014 at 13:11

Hahaha "Is this gonna come off?":D
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 24-12-2014 at 14:08

Quote: Originally posted by blargish  
This isn't a bad video per se; very entertaining :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dj34MYvnY

The guy who accidentally sets his lithium metal alight on his desk (presumably in his bedroom) takes the cake!

Actually it is rather bad. Missed opportunity to give some interesting information/education, terrible safety (with good chance of getting burning alkaline metal on skin X 2, glass shards into eyes, or burning down a house X 2).

It was still funny, and at times hilarious.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2014 at 14:44

The following video is, in my humble view, terrible because it shows a teacher who is handling 5 molar HCl without any protection - even his labcoat is not buttoned up (not like that would make a terrible difference). Furthermore, he involves a child to help him, likewise with no protection. I take umbrage at the scandalous behavior of this educator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOS45xk-58M
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2014 at 07:26

This one isn't exactly terrible, but the way the dude whacks the table with the bottle, and his many unsuccessful attempts at re-igniting a blown-out wick make it funny. And a bit bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX3NKWe-5TY
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 25-12-2014 at 09:04

Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  
The following video is, in my humble view, terrible because it shows a teacher who is handling 5 molar HCl without any protection - even his labcoat is not buttoned up (not like that would make a terrible difference). Furthermore, he involves a child to help him, likewise with no protection. I take umbrage at the scandalous behavior of this educator.

Are you insane? :o The concentration of that HCl is less than 20% (5M). Many labs actualy recomend not to use gloves when handling HCl in such concentrations so one does not lose sensibility in the hands. If some of it gets into your hands, just wash it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daQtnshQD2U
Here The Home Scientist explains what I've just written and makes a pratical example (he puts some HCl in his hand).

And this goes for the lab coat. Non required. Perhaps, some googles, to avoid splashes from the exothermic reaction. What this teacher did was show some very interesting chemistry to a bunch of students without making it appear like he is messing with the devil, like many do.

Really what's scandalous here is you describing the teacher's behaviour as scandalous.

[Edited on 25-12-2014 by HgDinis25]
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2014 at 09:35

I agree, 5 molar HCl couldn't hurt anything unless you dont have access to water. Treating all chemicals like they're super dangerous leads to more chemophobia.
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 25-12-2014 at 10:17

This is an interesting one. It's not action packed it's really just a video of some guy babbling about his titanium dioxide speculations. Kinda funny. Nothing against the guy, but I mean, mind control? hahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEZ1CmGqz9A

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2014 at 10:23

I think this video was linked in the pseudoscience thread, but it deserves a nuber one spot here. Claiming piss and distilled water are the same and many other gems.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2014 at 10:34

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
I think this video was linked in the pseudoscience thread, but it deserves a nuber one spot here. Claiming piss and distilled water are the same and many other gems.

Waffle, waffle... 'it [TiO2] gets into your pores and into your blood stream!'

No, it doesn't, you doughnut!

nlegaux
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-12-2014 at 17:47

HF... With no gloves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2zOphNGPpg
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-12-2014 at 18:34

Unbelievable. I couldn't even make it all the way through.
How many errors per sentence is it possible to make? Good thing that his thesaurus supports him.
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 25-12-2014 at 19:44

This is amazing. I cannot believe how convoluted and wrong absolutely everything is in this video. It's great because he's making shit up that he could of easily fact-checked all for the agenda of getting more people to drink their own piss. "Drinking urine is like fuel injector cleaner" That's some life changing shit right there lol.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2014 at 07:11

As so often with those goofballs, the comment section is the real fun, for instance:

Quote:

What Mr. Webber is explaining is, quite possibly, the crime of century. To not have an inexpensive water distiller in EVERY home is criminal offense, war against the general health of its citizens and for what, irresponsible corporate profit with intentional decimation of our precious resources?!

Tap water: more deadly than chemtrails! The Great Cull is upon us...

[Edited on 26-12-2014 by blogfast25]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2014 at 07:34

Here he is again (this guy's a serial offender!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74iskWrYz8

Basically, if you remove all the I-N-O-R-G-A-N-I-C matter from your body, you develop a force field! That's why saints glow, man!

Oh and he's got a website too:

http://aquariusthewaterbearer.com/

[Edited on 26-12-2014 by blogfast25]

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 26-12-2014 at 09:25

His website has a picture of him. He totally looks like a punk.
But the "Will this come off?" In regards to the lithium video was totally the best. Probably because it reminded me of (and possibly was) an old friend of mine from elementary school.

DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2014 at 12:54

Quote: Originally posted by HgDinis25  
Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  

Are you insane? :o The concentration of that HCl is less than 20% (5M). Many labs actualy recomend not to use gloves when handling HCl in such concentrations so one does not lose sensibility in the hands. If some of it gets into your hands, just wash it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daQtnshQD2U
Here The Home Scientist explains what I've just written and makes a pratical example (he puts some HCl in his hand).

And this goes for the lab coat. Non required. Perhaps, some googles, to avoid splashes from the exothermic reaction. What this teacher did was show some very interesting chemistry to a bunch of students without making it appear like he is messing with the devil, like many do.

Really what's scandalous here is you describing the teacher's behaviour as scandalous.

[Edited on 25-12-2014 by HgDinis25]

You have quite the nerve calling someone "insane", while completely ignoring that 5M HCl is a 18% solution, which is still very corrosive. It is a concentration that can cause burns with many kinds of skin, especially longer exposure. And if you get this concentrated HCl solution on your clothes, that's exactly what you end up having - an extended (as in time but also area) exposure.

And so I am "insane" for advocating a cautions approach, and because I think children who don't know any better at this point should learn to show respect for corrosive liquids? Sure, HCl is tame compared to other acids and concentrated alkaline solutions, but it's still dangerous enough that it can cause burns. Learning to be mindful and disciplined with handling dangerous chemicals, even if they are not that dangerous, pays dividends in the long run - you learn to cross your T's and dot your I's when you handle the more dangerous stuff.

I am baffled by your statement that "the lab coat is not needed" - as little protection as it may give, it's still better than getting 18% or so concentrated HCl on your own clothes. I am even more baffled because you felt indignant and haughty enough to call me "insane". When someone has such strong opinions, I do not have any hope to actually have a reasonable scientific conversation (a conversation where one of the parties can actually see the argument and accept it) but I didn't want to simply report your post - I wanted to make sure this is written down for those who might read this thread later. I didn't want to leave your self-confident and very wrong post unchallenged, a someone who knows no better might be convinced by the tone of it.

For the record, at my (main, I have two affiliations) institution we handle HCl solutions with the same safety equipment as we do the other corrosive substances, which includes full face shield, long thick gloves and tyvek-like apron. This policy has saved us a lot of problems in the last 10 years since the institution was opened. Thousands of people have worked there during this decade, and I guess the lab engineers responsible for safety know their business rather well and have a good track record to support them.

Now I know for a fact that safety in US research institutions is lax compared to ours (and other North European institutions in general), so there's also a cultural thing going on here, but you should really try to step back and look at the big picture more objectively before you call someone who advocated better safety as "insane".

Oh, I'm not convincing you at all, I know that. But this had to be written.
warteo
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-12-2014 at 15:07

This one could have ended up so much worse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpVV59RRneY

Makes me cringe seeing them with the blowtorch hovering over that mixture.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2014 at 16:21

Quote: Originally posted by warteo  
This one could have ended up so much worse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpVV59RRneY

Makes me cringe seeing them with the blowtorch hovering over that mixture.

There could have been dead bodies :(
I think that's the first YouTube video where instant death was a distinct possibility.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  10

Go To Top