Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  10
Author: Subject: List some BAD chemistry YouTube videos
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 21-1-2016 at 17:21

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
This video is pretty bad: Molten Aluminum Vs. Lava Lamp. I'm not sure why this guy calls himself the "Backyard Scientist."

Oh, yeah, that guy! I follow him to get laughs at his "science". All his videos are to the end of Internet 'fame', and are quite uninteresting.

I gotta defend TheBackyardScientist a little. If you look at his first videos, he pretty much started as the standard chemistry youtube channel. Videos like making tetraaminecopper sulfate Also chloroform, chlorobutanol, capsaicin ect. But one day he uploaded this molten alumin(i)um video which got over 2 million views overnight, hitting the front page of reddit on r/videos or something like that.

When you do something like that, you might as well keep giving the people what they want, and that's 'pop-sci' videos. The videos are very well made and shot, pretty fun and there are some cool builds behind some that go towards making the videos. So sure, he doesn't do hardcore science but i'm sure he knows that, he's just making cool videos for the millions of people that watch them. That's not bad, and i'm sure he wont need a part time job for a little while.

So calm down people, not every youtube channel can be Doug's Lab
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 25-1-2016 at 11:50

Quote: Originally posted by RobRylan  
Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
This video is pretty bad: Molten Aluminum Vs. Lava Lamp. I'm not sure why this guy calls himself the "Backyard Scientist."

For whatever reason it seems the new trend on all these youtube channels is to just pour molten metal on random crap. I know of another channel where the person pours molten copper on stuff. It gets old.

I don't have any problems with popsci experiments, like pouring stuff into other stuff (for example that video with pouring molten aluminium into an anthill is really awesome). What I don't like is when almost no safety precautions are taken, not even the basic sense ones, like for example in this video.

Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2016 at 19:18

Although this previously posted clip is somewhat wreckless, there is an interesting effect at the 11:45 mark when a nifty fuel/air explosion above the bottle occurs. If you freeze the frame you'll see a round orange ball of fire. Does it seem like it was lit from a fleck from the reaction in the bottle or might it have been UV light or just spontaneous combustion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-vUeAXjQTw#t=11m41s

[Edited on 26-1-2016 by Morgan]
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 26-1-2016 at 17:33

given the title, shouldn't this be relegated to whimsy? or did you mean "shitty" you-tubes?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
DetritusBag
Harmless

Mood: down syndrome

[*] posted on 20-2-2016 at 13:25

I made this for my gofundme page..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYeFhETi6fo
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2016 at 13:44

I wouldn't expect many, if any, funds from this effort.
chemplayer..
Awesome

[*] posted on 20-2-2016 at 20:50

Statistically our observation is:

0.5-1% of views translate into subscribers (provided you post regularly and therefore there's an incentive for viewers to subscribe).
0.5-1% of subscribers are willing to offer support.
50-75% of support pledged doesn't materialise.

An increase in views can be obtained through more 'pop/shock science' and hard marketing, but in turn this lowers the support % so it does become self-limiting.

So you can fill in the blanks...

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-2-2016 at 01:23

Well, chemplayer, I have been enjoying your videos lately.
I haven't subscribed -- I don't subscribe to anything. A bookmark suffices and I check in regularly.

There is no substitute for good content and your channel is definitely one of the best.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 16:19

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I haven't subscribed -- I don't subscribe to anything. A bookmark suffices and I check in regularly.

There is no substitute for good content and your channel is definitely one of the best.

Subscribing, of course, gives benefit to the user. There are monetary benefits to having a much-viewed channel.

100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-3-2016 at 16:19

There's a lot of videos of kids who don't know anything about chemistry making explosives. Just a search and I found a lot.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 14:54

In regards to good channels, Cody's Lab has some good stuff, though very little chemistry. Perhaps he's not the smartest guy ever on youtube, but he's not really claiming to be either. Has some good videos about making heavy water, and some cool stuff regarding geology since he has a mine on his property.

Jstuyfzand
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning, Sorta.

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
In regards to good channels, Cody's Lab has some good stuff, though very little chemistry. Perhaps he's not the smartest guy ever on youtube, but he's not really claiming to be either. Has some good videos about making heavy water, and some cool stuff regarding geology since he has a mine on his property.

I love him, he explains everything really well and it got me into chemistry
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-4-2016 at 05:57

I'm surprised these guys haven’t had any injuries yet, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwyiR-FnhQ, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGBu7sOPHK8

Microwaving an air bag = bad idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhjHAPw1q-M

[Edited on 24-4-2016 by NedsHead]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2016 at 08:52

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

By subscribing you help support them and their Chanel.
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-4-2016 at 19:23

Thanks!

Actually we don't mind so much if people subscribe or not, just so long as people enjoy the videos, get something out of them, and learn something!

We don't have any ad platform switched on so there's no benefit to us (YT adverts are just too annoying). If you subscribe though you'll see when new videos come out more easily. That's the main advantage.
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-4-2016 at 19:24

Oh and BTW this is yet another new login (laptop died, attempting to log in on new one with old credentials failed, attempt to reset password via email failed)!
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-4-2016 at 21:35

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer.................  
Oh and BTW this is yet another new login (laptop died, attempting to log in on new one with old credentials failed, attempt to reset password via email failed)!

Don't keep losing you logons. You will run out of dots.

And, I did end up breaking policy and subscribed to a whole bunch of chemistry channels. I don't know if the new system is working better for me.
Looking forward to the next chemplayer installment.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2016 at 03:45

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer...  
Thanks!

Actually we don't mind so much if people subscribe or not, just so long as people enjoy the videos, get something out of them, and learn something!

We don't have any ad platform switched on so there's no benefit to us (YT adverts are just too annoying). If you subscribe though you'll see when new videos come out more easily. That's the main advantage.

Well your channel has indeed helped, I successfully made hydrazine followed your synth, just with a bit more cooling then you did and turned out flawless. going to try for a repeat today.
Jon snow
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 11:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVkknwEJbKk

what a waste of sulphuric acid also i'm very surprised he's still alive,
i'm wondering if someone knows why there was so little damage to the aluminum whick usually react readily with h2so4
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 12:48

Quote: Originally posted by Jon snow  

i'm wondering if someone knows why there was so little damage to the aluminum whick usually react readily with h2so4

it passivizes, a sulfate layer forms protecting the lower aluminium, the same effect is utilized to anodize alu.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 12:53

Quote: Originally posted by Jon snow  

That's not his first video where he handles stuff which he obviously doesn't understand with none of the necessary safety precautions in place. To be honest, I'm not sure where he bought some of the stuff he used in his other videos, because there's no way he prepared it(eg. Br<sub>2</sub>;). He will hurt himself at some point, how badly just depends on what chemical he happens to be using at that point.

Here's another one of his recent videos where he handles rather dangerous chems with no safety precautions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3Ct3jxbTQ

Daffodile
Hazard to Others

Mood: Riding eternal

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 12:59

Please stop giving him views.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 15:07

I started shooting a video for YouTube yesterday, but some of the clips are badly overexposed or out of focus, so I'm going to have to redo them. It's not easy to make professional-looking videos....

[Edited on 5-5-2016 by JJay]

Jon snow
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 16:00

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  

it passivizes, a sulfate layer forms protecting the lower aluminium, the same effect is utilized to anodize alu.

thank you for the information, i knew that copper in fuming nitric acid did that but i didn't knew that

Quote: Originally posted by Daffodile  
Please stop giving him views.

i won't stop giving him views because i enjoy watching his videos regardless of the really bad chemistry involved also gdflp he is famous and i think he has lots of money so buying reagents should not be a problem for him, i think that he should have an assistant when he does videos involving reagents like H2SO4 (NH4)2Cr2O7 and elemental bromine
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 16:02

It's not a question of money. It's a question of liability and that guy is surely what they're worried about, i.e. someone who has no idea what they're doing hurting themselves and suing.

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  10

Go To Top