Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Forum upgraded!
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 21:58
Forum upgraded!

I think you'll notice new features in U2U and a few minor visual changes. The main reasons we upgraded, though, were to patch some longstanding security problems and to relieve the database load (this version is supposed to be much kinder to MySQL). Please let me know if you notice any problems and I'll attend to them.

[Edited on 12-4-2005 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 22:03

Wow, quick reply box, neat! Two other things I've noticed, the almost god-like power of the "Who's online' button has been comprimised and at the bottom of the main page XMB has included some kind of text banner that is at the moment for e-coupons, did I miss that before, overall though I like the new little icons and such, the U2U pannel is also neat, but it has things like "U2U Inbox" listed twice, one right above the other and "U2U Outbox" and all the other options, maybe the new U2U's appear between the two though, I guess I won't know till I get a U2U, still, really nice to see a forum upgrade, looks like our smilies got upgraded too, humm, don't know if I like them as much as the old ones....

Edit: You've got 9 stars now!?! So do we get a new rank setup at 1500 and 2000 now? ;) Oh, and I like the new information under the profiles.

Edit again: Actually it looks like those are stars specifically for your rank and the max I can attain is still 5. Oh well.

[Edited on 12/4/2005 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 22:14

Interesting, the new layout both scares and intrigues me....

Hmm "ยป all users can reply." does this mean even non-members can post? I am also testing quick reply with this post. I think I liked the old smilies better :(. AARG the fonts are very slightly different now nooooo..... (kidding:P)

Forum definatly faster now.

Cool I can be invisible...

I like the U2U upgrades and the new info in the profiles.

Also the being able to edit posts to add an attachment will prevent against hundreds of double posts!

EDIT: The "whos online" page does not have links to the threads being viewed. And if one does not want a smilie in the header of their post there is a little star thing there instead, I don't know if that is intentional or not.

EDIT2: Kinda dissapointed that I am most active in whimsy..
EDIT3: We broke 3000 members recently!:cool:

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by rogue chemist]

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 22:20

Nope, looks like you have to be a member to post, also, when I re-logged in it gave me the option to be invisible, I now show up on the "Who's Online" again, I wonder if the search function works and better?

Edit: Nope, search doesn't work any better, a search for 'hydrazine nickel' not in quotes only gave one hit in the exotic primaries thread despite there being at least one post that I can think of in the nickel thread where I mentioned both hydrazine and nickel in the same post. Also the search button for google is gone but honestly I didn't use that much, it never gave me information on what thread it was brining up and often brought me to the replies page with the text for a quote already inserted.

Polverone

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 22:38

I've copied the old smilies over. Does it look okay now? My browser had the old ones cached so I hadn't noticed the image change. I will try to find out about the Who's Online changes. When I click on it, I get the old setup with all clickable stuff, but I tried logging in as a regular user and there were no hyperlinks there.

Oh yes, the upgrade did alter the search page, didn't it. I will try adding that back in too.

EDIT: U2U Previews currently do not work! They will screw up your messages if you attempt to use them! Also, "Reply and delete" in the new U2U message panel does not work either.

Post preview shows all quotation marks (both ' and ") with slashes in front of them when you preview an edited message.

I can't believe they released this as a "final" version with these bugs unfound. We'll probably have to upgrade in the near future to fix it, but it shouldn't be something users will notice.

[Edited on 12-4-2005 by Polverone]

Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 23:14

Quote:
Originally posted by Polverone
I think you'll notice new features in U2U and a few minor visual changes. The main reasons we upgraded, though, were to patch some longstanding security problems and to relieve the database load (this version is supposed to be much kinder to MySQL). Please let me know if you notice any problems and I'll attend to them.

There is another glitche I see immediately .

For the " not logged in user " which is what I generally am
because of using proxies , the " reply " button has disappeared , but the " quote " button still works . So
I can just cut the quoted message and then use the empty box as it would have appeared before the change .

The way I have been posting replies or new topics is to use the authentication boxes above the message window to
provide a user name and password for the message post ,
without ever actually logging in . I suppose that some of the
new changes aren't readable through the filtering introduced
by the proxy , or are hidden to users not logged in .

The old " quoting " style without the truncated rectangle
box window for the quoted message was a lot better than
this new " quote box " .

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by Rosco Bodine]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 23:27

curl Ahhhh! It works now! :o

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3819

I like the new quote box, but I have to take a look at how quotes of quotes of quotes look.

Oh! And whimsy posts are once again appearing under the "Todays Posts" heading, it did that when I originally signed up, and I liked it so I didn't have to look into the forum itself separately, will it stay this way this time again?

sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 23:38

Nice. :) Maybe we can get a rolleyes smiley now?

I don't know... Whimsy topics show up in Today's Posts even if I'm not logged in... I'm not sure if that's good... is it possible to set the forum software such that Whimsy topics will only show up in Today's Posts if you're logged in?

Anyway, it'll take some time for me to get used to the new UI, but I'll manage. :D

I also like the new quote box!

Neat; "Members who have visited today" no longer sorts in reverse alphabetical order, instead being sorted on the basis of who has most recently been active. :) The page showing only that is the one that sorts the names.

Might as well test a few more functionalities...

(let me borrow this for a moment, Org. ;) Merci!)

1. this
  2. tests
  3. the
  4. list
  5. functionality

1. this
  2. also
  3. tests
  4. the
  5. list
  6. functionality

Code:
s=0 for(i,1,10) s=s+1 end :)

Odd, why'd it become double spaced? :o

Bromic's suggestion:

Quote:

I'm quoting this:
Quote:

where this is the text being quoted...

Quote:

and I'm quoting another line of text... :)

and this tests "deeply nested quotes":

Quote:

testing
Quote:

this:
Quote:

I'm a deeply nested quote!!!!

Looking at the User's Control Panel, it amazes me that I can now set it up such that I can look at, like, 100 posts per page. :o It used to be limited to only 50. Oh, and I suppose the icons for the U2U functionality are missing... hmpf. But the U2U works though... can't complain! (edit: fixed, thanks Polverone!!!)

Hey, if you look at your own posts, there are now previews included! :) And in one click of a particular link in the "Member List", one can easily tell who the mods and admins are.

sparky (^_^)

P.S. Hey Bromic, I think it's justified; we're just trying to see if this ship we're riding has any leaks... :D ;)

P.P.S. If there are any more bugs in this release, I'm wagering that some other word might now trigger the reaction that curl once did. Hmm...

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by sparkgap]

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 00:00

Even more things, I think it's marking a post as unread once someone edits it, a kind of neat feature, I wonder if it is just for the most recent post being edited or for any post in the thread, I don't think it's moving it to the top of new posts, just changing the color of the icon to show you haven't read it yet.

Also, the search function is significantly better in my opinion, more like googles now, it gives not only the thread title, but somewhere around a paragraph of text from it showing words bold faced that you searched for, it doesn't work any better in finding the topics you search for but it helps you find the results you are looking for in the ones it does return.

[Edit] Sorry for so many posts, it's like a new toy! :D

Another Edit; It appears as though it is now fixed so that the topics of the "Secret Lab" are compltely hidden from the masses, now begins a new dark age of conspiracy and paranoia :P

Good point Sparkgap, kind of reminds me of getting something new at a great price then finding little flaws in it, but still being happy with the overall price.

Polverone

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 01:18

Rosco, I have asked the XMB users forum how I can fix the board so that guests still get the post reply and post new topic buttons.

Sparkgap, what U2U icons? The icon at the bottom of each user's post to send a U2U is still there. Were there ever any others?

I'll ask about the smilies in code tags.

sparkgap
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 01:31

If you take a look at the U2U panel, you'll note that there are supposed to be images there on the top representing buttons. They aren't there. You didn't install them, I suppose, Polverone?

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Polverone

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 01:47

Oh, that's why the U2U panel looked funny. Images fixed there.

I just tested on another very popular bulletin board (vbulletin) and it looks like it doesn't disable smilies inside code tags either. I suppose that's just the standard behavior. If you want to write a message without smilies you'll just have to check the "disable smilies" box. I know, it's too bad there is no way to disable them for just part of a message, but I don't think it will be a problem that often.

sparkgap
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 04:31

Most of the other forums I frequent use Invision, so I thought all other forum software implemented "no smilies in between code tags". Oh well.

sparky (~_~)

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 07:20

Quick reply. Nice. I suppose automatic spell checking would be a little too much to ask? :P

Personally, I think that this new style has too many unnecessary lines. Quotes and such are too boxed in, as opposed to the old style of two horizontal lines. Also, why is there a line between a person's stars and post #? This also seems unnecessary.

Well, those are my first impressions, anyway.

edit: There's something more satisfying about making a post in the quick reply and seeing it part of the thread right after submitting. Better than having to go to that other screen for a while while you typed.

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by neutrino]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 10:47

Woooot :D It looks brand-spankily-dankily-new :D

...But does CTRL+S work?

GARRR!!!!11

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 11:06

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerro
This is a quick reply :D
Yep that was pretty quick indeed :D

;):P:o:mad::D:cool::):(

bizzle itizzle undizzle

centered

urrel!

snailmail

[img]c'est une image![/img]

Code:
koot!

• l
  • i
  • s
  • t!

what colour do you like best?

[Edited on SunSun/DecDec/2005200520052005 by Nerro] When id the dating system getting fixed?!

[Edited on SunSun/DecDec/2005200520052005 by Nerro]

ump 2 maal.jpg - 200kB

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 11:43

I notice there are also a number of new themes availiable.... I like the 'corporate' and 'onepoint.9' options... minus the banner... which is a bit large in the first case.

Also, the new U2U box is FANTASTIC!!!

You can now move U2Us into subfolders (which can be created), including those in the outbox, to keep it manageable!! This keeps it nicely seperate, and not such a huge message mess!

I preferred Whimsy being private, and not viewable by the general public.... would it be at all possible for them to turn up in today's posts only for registered/logged in members?

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 12:32

The new themes are interesting, but I still like the Sciencemadness theme best.

If one goes to member list, cicks 'status', then clicks 'decending' you can see everyone who has been banned, 23 people.

EDIT: I am realy liking the way a thread changes to unread only after you have read it.

And thanks Polverone for the smilie change back:cool:

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by rogue chemist]

Pommie
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2005 at 22:12

The # button - insert code formated text - comes up with the wrong message (enter text you want quoted) even though it inserts code.

Just playing now.
Red Text

Big text

Are all the fonts readable?
Andale Mono
Book Antiqua
Century Gothic
Comic Sans MS
Georgia
Impact
Tahoma
Trebuchet MS
Script MT Bold
Stencil
Lucida Console

Mike.
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 03:25

Excuse my ignorance, but just where are these themes? I can't find them on the control panel.
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 04:42

in profile set your date stamping to D/M/Y to get a correct date reading again :)
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 14:25

Oh, rogue chemist was talking about those themes. Nevermind.
zoomer
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Curious

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 16:18

I really like the changes, thanks Polverone!

I have noticed one small bug - the first icon in the "Icon" section has the "broken picture" icon picture, and a "open_bracket-star-close_bracket" text symbol next to it.

I'm using the default (SM) theme on MS Explorer, does anyone else see this?

(I tried to get a pic to show up, but couldn't, you'll have to use my poor word description...) :(

Z
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 16:27

Ditto.

Here's something to go with your description. ;)

- SMDB theme here, which is more or less default, right?

Tim

[Edited on 12-6-2005 by 12AX7]

Ecks.gif - 2kB

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 18:24

Interesting, I'm using Firefox, and I don't see that red X for the picture, but I do see the asterisk in the square brackets.

Edit: Interestingly enough, when I tried to type in [ * ], it made a bullet, but it wasn't in the text field, it was on the left hand side near my user name/posts etc.

Edit: This will show the weird effect
  • (look to the left of the text, I see a bullet point)

[Edited on 6/12/05 by Darkblade48]
     Pages:  1  

Go To Top