Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Titanium Electroplating!
SAM4CH
Hazard to Others

Mood: PERFECT

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 13:54
Titanium Electroplating!

Can I plate Titanium from a solution of Ti sulfate, chloride, nitrate or other!?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 15:30

I had figured no since titanium is usually won as the free metal not by electroplating but by a cumbersome process involving titanium tetrachloride, here is a link, that for the most part says the same thing though it does give some pointers on possibilities:

Titanium Plating

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 16:33

Bromic I really wish I had your knowledge of chemistry. Since I do not this may be a stupid question, is the problem of reduction of hydrogen before the reduction of titanium able to be overcome by using some type of conductive organic solvent rather than some type of water chemistry. The reason I ask is I have lots of titanium metal and always wondered what the hell can I do with it, and this all sounds very interesting!
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 18:03

Really, what form is it in? One of these days I'm going to melt and cast titanium, providing of course I get a source of argon and am somehow able to sinter magnesium oxide for the crucible AND mold...

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 19:13

Yeah, in the non-aqueous mediums it may be possible to plate titanium. As was mentioned in that thread I linked to, aluminum can be electroplated in toluene. The exact method involves the use of aluminum bromide, anhydrous of course, with toluene (I think a 6 M solution can be made) and an additive
Quote:
an additive selected from the group consisting of aromatic hydrocabons having at least two rings; alkylated monocyclic or polycyclic aromatic compounds, aminosubstituted and halosubstituted mono- or polycyclic aromatic compounds, dialkyl aniline, trialkyl amine; D. Bromides or iodides selected from the group consisting of alkali metal halides, alkaline earth metal halides, boron halides, ammonium halides, aliphatic and aromatic quaternary ammonium halides and mixtures of any of these.
Also a small amount of ionic bromide such as potassium bromide is added. I think the additive is just to help remove any free bromine being produced. The patent is 3,997,410. So by entention it may be possible to do something with titanium, something covalent like titanium tetrachloride might be useful, similarly titanium tetrachloride is also a lewis acid. However doing a quick patent search revealed no patents to give titanium metal via electrolysis in any phase but a molten salt phase. Never the less there may be reasons for this beyond if it is feasible or not, the price of titanium tetrachloride being prohibitively high with respect to aluminum bromide, so it may be possible to preform an anologous reaction, it may just be that no one has tried it yet.

[Edited on 12/12/2005 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
futiant
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 20:16

NO, Bromide. you can see jappanese patent JP1031990 for TITANIUM ELECTROPLATING. I had not try this, BUT I'd very interested of this.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 02:27

Reference Information

TITANIUM ELECTROPLATING BATH AND PLATING METHOD USING SAME
Publication number: JP1031990
Publication date: 1989-02-02
Inventor: TAKAHASHI SETSUKO
Applicant: NISSHIN STEEL CO LTD
Classification:
- international: C25D3/54; C25D3/02; (IPC1-7): C25D3/54
- european:
Application number: JP19870189564 19870729
Priority number(s): JP19870189564 19870729

Abstract

PURPOSE:To form a dense and uniform Ti plating film at low temp., by carrying out electroplating in a dry and oxygen-free atmosphere by using a plating bath composed of Ti chloride, alkylpyridinium halide, and specific organic solvent and also using direct current or pulse current. CONSTITUTION:Electroplating is applied to the cathode to be treated in an oxygen-free atmosphere of dry N2, Ar, etc., by means of direct or pulse current in 0.1-10A/dm<2> current density by using a soluble anode made of Ti and also using, as a plating bath for Ti electroplating, a molten salt plating bath consisting of 50-80mole%, in total, of one or two kinds among Ti chlorides, such as TiCl3 and TiCl4, 20-50mole% of 1-4C alkylpyridinium halide of alkyl proup, and <=75vol.% of organic solvent, such as toluene, xylene, and benzene. At this time, by using the plating bath of the above composition, the dense and uniform Ti plating film can be formed by means of a plating bath with a relatively low temp. of 20-150 deg.C without causing oxidation.

[Edited on 11-9-2006 by solo]

[Edited on 11-9-2006 by solo]

Attachment: titanium electroplating.pdf (67kB)
This file has been downloaded 1251 times

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
jayden1970
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 07:54

thanks a lot

Go To Top