Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FIGHT FOR SCIENTIST RIGHTS!!!
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 19-12-2005 at 12:07
FIGHT FOR SCIENTIST RIGHTS!!!

I have the PERFECT idea. There were black rights activists. There are gay rights activists. All WE need to do is start a Scientist Rights Movement. If we make it look like racism and discrimination, the politically-correct average person can't help but feel sorry for us and we will be accepted!

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 19-12-2005 at 14:24

It's good idea but not that easy. Most of us just do not have time to spare but writing good article for newspaper or making short film about home scientists may be as hard as acetic anhydride preparation. Communicating with public is very complicated and one has to read lot of books to be succesfull in any kind of propaganda work.

It may be usefull to look around for friends among writers, journalists or filmmakers. Current state of hobby science in US may well be used to make awardwinning documentary film.
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-12-2005 at 17:37

If some of us are ethnic minorities we should have no problem at all. Modern society will trip over itself to rush to help minorities who feel discriminated against in any way. Just show the cops beating up on some minority chemist cause he was doing some interesting, safe experiment that looks cool (and doesn't take too long either) and people will feel sorry for us.

A documentary film would do alot of good, but I doubt any of us here could make a good one, and get it distributed widely. If someone did know someone who could do it, and it happened (and was a good, interesting yet informative film) then it could do alot of good.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 20-12-2005 at 11:29

good luck convincing anything about chemistry is safe... See current new fad: everything gives you cancer and natural things are a lot safer than synthetic things:rolleyes:
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 20-12-2005 at 12:57
Another perspective

Point out that Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Edison both had home "labs" and that the great contributions to society they made.

Also, there needs to be someway to relate to the public that even in this advanced technical age, there is stil some very simplistic inventions being granted patents. IT should be said that you don't have to discover something new but only a different, easier, cheaper, or better way of making or fixing something.

Fellow molecular manipulator
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 20-12-2005 at 15:44

I think it would definatly be good to remind the public just how much of the important chemical and technological advancements were done in home laboratories. Nobel, Curie, Hall(yup, Al was first produced in the backyard of his parents house :P), Tesla, and others all did their experiments in their homes. It is only within the last fifty years or so that science has been deemed bad for the public.

Interesting to note, Edison's Menlow park research firm was actually the first company simply for research.

Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 20-12-2005 at 15:52

We could raise an army of clones dressed in labcoats and armed with spatula's!!!
*laughs hysterically!*
Bill
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 08:10

Check this out
http://www.jce.divched.org/cgi-bin/JCE/jce-idx.pl?type=artic...
I hope that helps.
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 07:44

Everyone is saying it's hard to fight for rights, to lobby for what we want. But is anything worth doing easy? Stay quiet, and see what will happy to our hobby.

I might be making an assumption, and sorry if I am, but we need to stop viewing Chemists solely as people wearing labcoats and synthesizing the next big thing. What one can do with Chemistry is *extremely* broad in terms of careers, and included in that is public relations/government advising/etc.

Think about it. The guys on Capital Hill, the average person on the street doesn't know a *thing* about Chemistry or Chemicals. So they cannot be expected to make rational decisions based on facts because they just do not have the background knowledge that a chemist does. It is up to the chemists, then, to show that their field is not the modern day witchcraft which will bring wrath from above and destroy our society.

Public relations with Chemistry is actually a big deal. Consider when a freight train derails and releases Hydrogen Chloride, as what happened in Baltimore back in 2002...who was there to calmly explain to the public what the situation was, what the risks were, and what was NOT to fear?

So I don't think it is far-fetched for the politically savvy among us to write some petitions or to start mailing congressmen about how much they are truly hurting science in this country by their "crackdowns" on terror and drugs--which no doubt are scourges to society, but at the same time reason must be applied. A model rocket is not a Surface to Air Missile.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 08:22

I`m all for it!

and as for drugs and funny smells etc... Who better qualified to know what they`re on about when reporting some smack head lab or tcap bomb synth in a bath than people like US.

they ask the public to be Vigilant, but joe public doesn`t know his ass from his elbow half the time, WE on the other hand have Much better training visually and nasally (except for those that make it habit to breathe Cl2 :P) to ID such an occurance.

if Anything WE should be on the Gov`s fu(kin` payroll!

[Edited on 11-7-2007 by YT2095]

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
gregxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 10:03

Unfortunately there is a big problem

Many "hobby type" activities are on the decline, even ones that are considered "safe" and dont have connections to terrorism or drug cooking. There was an article in the San Jose Mercury news about a year ago about how hobby shops are going out of business. The reason is video games. These days kids would rather play the video games than build model airplanes. The games are very seductive & give instant gratification with no risk of failure. I have two teens and have built battlebots, gocarts, potato-cannons, fireworks etc but I can't even get my kids to go into the garage to look at the stuff, they would rather play the games allll dayyyyy longggggg.
chromium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 11:35

I agree with 12AX7 but must say that this is much harder task than it seems at first.

Nowadays no one gets continuously positive attention in media if someone powerfull enough wants things to change. No, do not get me wrong! You will not be blackmailed or threatened any way, there are much better ways to deal with you.

There are always journalists who are ready to frame up something against you if they are paid for it. They are much more skillfull in media world than you are and can tune up public against you without lying anything for which they could be accused. This is especially easy to do if you are not visually attractive or just are not very skillfull in defending yourself against provocations.

It's also rather hard to find popular journal or newspaper which wants to publish your opinions. Most of them sincerelly think that this does not interest their readers and thus is not profitable for their business. Most of them earn their money by writing what their readers want to belive the world is like. And you wish them to write something completely different.

In reality i belive that there is still possibility to make usefull propaganda for hobby science but then we should go to streets with banners or do other classic "rites" wich are proven to be so effective for gay movement, feminism, pacifism etc.

I do not belive in presenting us as "those who carry light of science" because its generally thought that academic institutions are more than enough for science to blossom. Most professors also will rather denounce amateur science as something that does things not as safely and not as controlled way as "professionals" do. Their point of view is usally something like "if you love science then go to college and use all your time there doing your courses to get good job afterwards - what else do you want".

To represent us as somebody who just can not live without those "useless" experiments, may be much more effective.

Gay activists have told us that they just can not live as was formerly considerd normal and they got what they wanted. The same was with conscious objectors (from armed services) and it could as well be with us.

[Edited on 11-7-2007 by chromium]

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann
tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 03:31

First things first. What are the issues of scientist rights? What have they done to condemn us? One should ponder on such questions before taking any actions!
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 04:02

The idea is absurd on its face.

Society does not regard amateurs as scientists at all.

Professional scientists are not having a rights problem that I am aware of.

What we need is community outreach and better public relations, not some dimwitted Hundred Man March on Washington in defense of our rights to experiment in our garages. I can see us all sitting around with hand made signs singing We Shall Overcome.

We need fewer Swerleins in our midst and FAR fewer dope cooks, I daresay.

We need to bolster our image as good neighbors and responsible citizens, NOT eccentrics, not explosives nuts, even if we are into energetics. Swerlein setting off charges in his driveway at 3 am is PRECISELY what we do not need to be associated with in anyone's mind, not the media, not the cops, and not the public.

Scrap the 60s mentality, burn your old Peter Paul & Mary albums. We don't want to be collateral damage in the War on Terror or the War on Drugs. That's all there is to it.

What we need is the ACS on our side. Every one of us should join if not already a member. If you do not have a formal degree in chemistry you can still join as an associate.

The ACS has political clout and can if it wishes do a lot more for amateur chemists than the ACLU can. The ACLU cares only about certain civil liberties and won't lift a finger or spend a dime on quite a few others.

[Edited on 12-7-2007 by Sauron]
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 06:15

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris The Great
If some of us are ethnic minorities we should have no problem at all. Modern society will trip over itself to rush to help minorities who feel discriminated against in any way. Just show the cops beating up on some minority chemist cause he was doing some interesting, safe experiment that looks cool (and doesn't take too long either) and people will feel sorry for us.

I am your poster boy!
I grew up on a reservation. The PC crowd thinks any tribal member can do no wrong. Fucking idiots.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 06:20

LOL, That`s the Spirit!

we can have a Mad-Scientist Pin-up Calendar too! (I`ll take one of the Longer months, the chicks will go Wild seeing me).

ok Who left the Top off the Toluene Bottle...

Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 06:57

I did not grow up on a reservation, but I did have a lot of reservations about growing up.
chromium
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 12:49

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
The idea is absurd on its face.

Society does not regard amateurs as scientists at all.

You are smart as always. I also agree that we should be (and look as) good neighbours and responsible citizens. And ACS seems valuable idea although i live in quite another country.

Quote:
Professional scientists are not having a rights problem that I am aware of.

In my opinion scientists have quite a lot of problems with rights but for some reason they do not think they should have any (specific) rights at all. Only specific scientists rights that i can think of are "right" to be part of academic institutions (and thus use some of possibilities that academic institutions have) and "right" to get some specific jobs that otherwise are not available.

When chemistry professor starts home lab he is quite in the same position than uneducated 14 year old because criminal-, environmental- and any other laws do not make any difference here. In some sense professor has it even worse because he may lose his job or licence if LE only says he is suspicious man - and his collegues will not help him. He may even lose his job because of scandals that are not related at all to science or his ability to do usefull scientific work.

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2007 at 22:11

I would hope that a professional chemistry association analogous to ACS would exist in most countries.

Is this not the case in your own land, @chromium?

I guess that you are correct that a chemisstry academic (be he/she professor, or lecturer/instructor) would be putting himself in the same problem set as a layman is he set up a home lab but, why would one do so?

After all they have facilities at their institution.

I had a private lab of my own when I was a research assistant, a stock room or two to draw from, ordering privileges when I needed something not at hand in those. And that was as a student. Were I on staff the situation would be even better because I'd have all that and be getting paid for my labors as well. Well, maybe not paid very well, but paid.

An academic has a lot more freedom to follow their whims than does a commercial employee, companies get nasty about use of corporate equipment and materials for personal projects, at least until you are quite senior. Or unless you own the company.
tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 06:14

What about those genetic-cloning human rights stuff? They used it "in the name of science" though some human or animal rights despise them...
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 07:32

yeah until the Tech is proven Viable and it`s one of Their kids lying there with only a week to live?

most tend to get a nice tall glass of Shut-the-fuck-up then!

Bromide
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 07:55

Quote:
Originally posted by tito-o-mac
What about those genetic-cloning human rights stuff? They used it "in the name of science" though some human or animal rights despise them...

I tried but I can't really grok what the big deal is about human cloning. Seriously--what exactly is the supposedly awful thing about the possibility of creating "time-shifted twins" that gets the masses (and the politicians who feed off them) so worked up?
Sergei_Eisenstein
Hazard to Others

Mood: training

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 12:19

I only have to look out of the window to know why I'm opposed to human cloning :)

damnant quod non intelligunt
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 15:49

Wow, I don't say sentences very often starting with 'there should be a law'...but there should be a law that only people with IQs over a certain number can be cloned.:D

chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 20-7-2007 at 17:15

Quote:
What we need is the ACS on our side. Every one of us should join if not already a member. If you do not have a formal degree in chemistry you can still join as an associate.

The ACS has political clout and can if it wishes do a lot more for amateur chemists than the ACLU can. The ACLU cares only about certain civil liberties and won't lift a finger or spend a dime on quite a few others.

Yes I think this is a good begining at least as a way to seperate us from the kewls out there. Maybe the amatuers could have our own represented chapter within the ACS or the Royal chemical society. Maybe a number of us could become a not for profit research organizations selling products and holding fundraisers for income. Our major mission would be the importance of teaching children how to experiment safely. Make being a kewl REALLY uncool. I was bored today and have been waiting to share this idea.

[Edited on 7/20/2007 by chloric1]

Fellow molecular manipulator
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top