Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nifty way to store glassware...
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 28-12-2005 at 08:35
Nifty way to store glassware...

Nothing major, but I've found a good way to store condensers, adaptors, and other non flask type things is in a big fiberglass gun case.

Its padded and everything is held securly and fits nicely under the bed...

Last but not least they can be found fairly cheap.

Now all I need is a good way to store all my RB flasks...
lacrima97
Hazard to Self

Mood: experimental

[*] posted on 28-12-2005 at 09:40

I like to store my stuff in these plastic drawers that I have.
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-12-2005 at 10:53

I just store most of my beakers and flasks in a rubbermaid bin that sits on the ground. I don't have any of that fancy glassware you speak of (I wish I had a 24/40 distillation setup :p), so there's no need for any special storage methods for me.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 28-12-2005 at 18:05

Well I use rubbermaid drawers and it seems OK for small stuff like porcelain wares and strring sticks but I need something for the bigger items and the 24/40 glassware I have. Was thinking about a treated wooden peg system with a few rings for separating funnels.

Also, I know this is a little off subject but some of my flasks are hazy from working with barium and I cleaned them with HCL but it only half worked. Does anyone here have a way of dealing with less than clear glass? Maybe boiling disodium EDTA? Vineger?

Fellow molecular manipulator
Lotek_
Harmless

Mood: itchy.

[*] posted on 28-12-2005 at 20:57

i used to transport an item that used a 1000ml filtering flask in a guncase along with the atatchments that made it function.

i store mine on shelves.

my condencer sits in my fridge conected to its water loop(i dont feel like replacign the distiled water so i jsut refridgerate the whole thing.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chochu3
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inside looking out

[*] posted on 28-12-2005 at 21:22

this is what I will be using once I figure the volume all my labware will need:

http://store.yahoo.com/justcases/66306.html

here are some other sources:
http://www.fieldtexcases.com/blow-molded-cases.html
http://www.cpd-cases.com/blow-cpd.htm

[Edited on 29-12-2005 by chochu3]

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
lordmagnus
Hazard to Self

Mood: No longer annoyed ( I found a new girlfriend)

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 20:09

Hello, I store my vigereaux column, and various condensers (all of which fi the 200-300 mm range) in some custom cases I built out of PVC pipe, I use 1 1/4" PVC water pipe, glue a cap on one end, and a male adapter on the other, wrap the column in 1 layer of small bubble wrap, and slide it into the pipe, screw on (loosely) a cap onto the male adapter that is threaded inside, vary durable way to transport them.

I\'ll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he is gonna start a fair fight, or if he\'s bothrn me allot, or if I am getin payed good, or probably over a good woman.

-Jayne Cobb (Serenity)

El_Kod
Harmless

Mood: slepy

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 18:52

Quote:
Originally posted by chloric1
Also, I know this is a little off subject but some of my flasks are hazy from working with barium and I cleaned them with HCL but it only half worked. Does anyone here have a way of dealing with less than clear glass? Maybe boiling disodium EDTA? Vineger?

i cleaned in the dishwasher a PYREX flask that i took from my chem class (it has been used there for 3 years), and it came out SHINING :D
i would take more care with expensive and fragile glassware, but for flasks i guess that it's ok.

[Edited on 13-1-2006 by El_Kod]
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 05:07

Quote:
Originally posted by El_Kod
i cleaned in the dishwasher a PYREX flask that i took from my chem class (it has been used there for 3 years), and it came out SHINING :D
i would take more care with expensive and fragile glassware, but for flasks i guess that it's ok.

I guess I won't get into the credibility of taking glassware from your school lab, it's been iterated and debated many times in the past....

However, I don't think my family would be quite fond of me washing flasks and beakers that had been in contact with (horror of all horrors) chemicals with the plates and bowls we eat off of :)

Go To Top