Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: filter paper
toxin
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2005 at 17:44
filter paper

Whats so special about lab filter paper used during a filtration, are there any good tangable substitues ?
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 30-12-2005 at 18:38

Lab filter paper has a constant density of porousity which allows you to remove the precipitate from a solution(in a reasonable ammount of time). Coffee filters can sometimes do a half decent job, but they often have pores big enough that you loose some precipitate through them. Using double coffee filters is a realistic solution, but still not the best. Nothing beats good lab grade filter paper.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-12-2005 at 19:50

A friend (not swinm!) gave me some fermentation product for analysis. It was cloudy although he said he had run it through coffee filters. I put it through about 2-3mm of diatomaceous earth on top of Whatman #1 filter paper using a Buchner funnel. The filtrate was crystal clear. ;)

[Edited on 31-12-2005 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 13:13

Is there a post on the art of filtration.
Filter under vacuum, pressure or gravity? Grade of filter, glass wool, cotton wool, coffee filters, blotting paper, 40 mu filter?
How to construct a filter bed?
Aqueous or organic?
Type of pump, diaphragm pumps can kick back and trash the filter bed.

mick
toxin
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 13:24

When they make that paper, how do they manage to get those small pores into the paper, how come common paper we write on doesn't have them ?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 19:19

Paper is essentailly made of cellulose fibers with additives. Writing paper additives would include pigments (TiO2, kaolin clay, CaCO3, etc) and sizing (starch, protein, etc). These additives reduce porosity. Filter paper is likely almost pure cellulose with very little additives.

[Edited on 12-4-2006 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
lacrima97
Hazard to Self

Mood: experimental

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 04:52

Alot of times I have wanted to keep the filtrate, and not the stuff in the filter. Using maybe 5 coffee filters would result in a cloudy filtrate, but if i stuffed the filtering funnel full of cotton balls, (and give it about 2-3 hours to drain), it would come out very clear.
geezmeister
Harmless

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 07:28

A surprisingly effective filter can be made from a piece of toilet tissue. One square, folded over itself a couple of times, then rolled up from one end, can be gently pushed into the neck of a funnel. Once wetted with the filtrate, the flow rate can be adjusted by pressing it down into the neck. In a tapered funnel this also compresses the paper, resulting in finer porosity. Adjusted to a drip rate of a few drops per second, the so called "Charmin Plug" (named for a soft brand of US toilet tissue that seems to work particularly well for this appication) will give fine filtration in a single pass for gravity filtration. Overlaying the plug with a coffee filter will help prevent clogging.

mostly harmless
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 19:06
Filtering

I've used folded up white paper towels with good, clear results but the best OTC paper
I've ever used is cutup HEPA vacuum cleaner filters. They do a fantastic job ! I'm not that
impressed with filter paper that came with my Buchner funnels.

[Edited on 2006/4/13 by MadHatter]

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
praseodym
Hazard to Others

Mood: crazy

[*] posted on 13-4-2006 at 04:45

How about using glass wool or shredded asbestos? Wouldn't they be more effective?

Alles sollte so einfach wie möglich gemacht werden aber nicht einfacher.

Go To Top