[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 10:00

Here is a not-exhaustive list :

TATP : Acetone, HCl, H2O2
DPPP : Acetone, HCl, H2O2
HMTD : Acetic Acid, H2O2, Hexamine
MEKP : MEK, HCl, H2O2
TMDD : H2O2, urea, Formol, dilute H2SO4

Silver carbide : AgNO3, CaC2 + some tubes
Mercury Fulminate : HNO3 (even low conc such as 40%), ethanol, mercury metal, ammonia
Potassium picrate : picric acid, KOH or K2CO3
Copper Carbide (I) : CuCl2, NaHSO3, CaC2 + tubes
Fulminating Silver : NH3 conc, NaOH, AgNO3
Potassium Styphnate : styphnic acid, KOH or K2CO3
TACN : Cu(NO3)2, NH3 conc
TACC : NaClO3, CuSO4, methanol, NH3 gaz
sodium nitronate : NaOH (prills), nitromethane
Fulminating mercury : red mercury oxide, NH3 conc
Lead azide : NaN3, lead nitrate
Ethyl hypochlorite : bleach, HCl, ethanol

Cellulose Nitrate : H2SO4 conc, a nitrate, cotton
Picric Acid : acetylsalicylic acid, salicylic acid, phenol, H2SO4 conc, a nitrate, some vessel.
CTMTNA : HCl, Hexamine, NaNO2
Ammonium picrate : picric acid, ammonia
Styphnic Acid : resorcinol, H2SO4, HNO3 (even diluted 40%)
Urea nitrate : nitric acid (even 40%), urea
Hexamine dinitrate : nitric acid (even 40%), hexamine

There are many others synthesis but if you want info on one of these, ask me. Take care to fulminating silver.
Taaie-Neuskoek
Hazard to Others

Mood: Botanical!

[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 10:01

Silver is OTC available, even though it might be slighly contaminated with Cu, so you need to wash your DS very good...
To make sodium azide yourself is doable, but you need big equipment, and have a good strirrel which can handle several litres.... Rosco bodino wrote excellent SOP's for synthesising hydrazine and sodium azide. You can also try to get an airbag and get the stuff out of that, there probably other crap in it, but that can be separated because the crap is not soluble.
According to a friend is lead azide itself very unstable, it detonates even in sheet-like crystals, he was not really impressed...
DDNP is a massive challenge to make yourself, I would go either for DS or for the azoclathrate mr, anonymous posted on the forum - that is appearently one of the best primary's, although you need some equipment like a hotplate/stirrer, and a separation funnel, or something else to slowly drip solutions together with.
All these methods require working with toxic materials, while making AgNO3 out of Ag metal, there will be NO2 coming from the vessel, which is VERY toxic, picric acid also has a nice photo on the bottle, not to speak about the humour of sodium azide when it comes to pH.
MEKP is also nasty stuff, and is (I think carciogenic), and not very nice as it got taken up through your skin very, very quicky. I've read a story somewhere (either here or at RS) where someone spilled a bit over its leg, and did see it being taken up, which was apparently very frightening...
It is very hard to prevent the work with nasty's in this bussiness...

Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 11:04

Oneup, a very nice source of really pure silver is www.emovendo.net, look at their site and select 'elements' at the top left of their site. They accept credit card and PayPal.

I purchased 30 grams of silver from this company for less than $15, including shipping to the Netherlands. Their silver has a purity, better than 99.95%. With this you can easily make AgNO3. Just dissolve in HNO3 and heat to dryness. No hassling with impurities and so on and with their price, you can make AgNO3 at a price tag of less than EUR 0,50 per gram. They also carry many other very pure metals at good prices (tin, lead, iron, manganese, rare earths). Many other metals are present as well, but at a higher price tag.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
oneup
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 11:10

I dit the math, with 30g silver I can make about 65g acetylide. enough for 130 detonators. doesn't sound like a bad idea actually. hhmmmm do they have alkali metals as well? :P
sylla
Alchimiste Belge Notoire

[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 12:53

Mhh I wouldn't make so big amount of silver carbide at once... If something goes wrong you gonna blow up your house ! Well probably not the whole house but 1g is already enough to kill you. I know philou does big batch, you should ask him how much he does at a time... but a 65g pot doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

Science is important but keeping your physical integrity is much more important :cool:

EDIT: oh btw, if you use AgCl in ammonia to make silver carbide DO NOT USE CONCENTRATED AMMONIA. A friend of mine did it and obtained fulminating silver (as I had expected). When dried, he touched the crystals with a plastic spoon and BAAAAAANG!

[Edited on 13-1-2006 by sylla]
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 18:04

I've always liked the looks of triazidotrinitrobenzene, TATNB, as an initiator. Very difficult to do OTC unless you have alot of chemistry skill and equipment. But, it is as powerful as RDX, 0.004 grams will detonate PETN at high density, and is less sensitive than a number of primary explosives such as nitro, EGDN etc. Disadvantage is that it slowly turns into a non-primary explosive over time (3 years at 20*C converts .6% or so, higher temperatures are much faster, lower temperatures presumably much slower).
I hope to try it someday, make a bunch of 0.05g TATNB + 1.00g PETN detonators, and never have to worry every time I press some unstable primary into a tube for a detonater.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
oneup
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 23:58

sounds too good to be true. do you have a synthesis for this TATNB?
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 00:06

Sure. In general:

Oxidize toluene to benzoic acid (KMnO4 or whatever)
Heat benzoic acid with urea, then treat with NaClO + NaOH to give aniline (see the threads on aniline)
Chlorinate aniline to trichloroaniline (Cl2 with AlCl3 catalyst should work fine)
Diazotize trichloroaniline to trichlorobenzene (NaNO2, HCl, EtOH)
Nitrate to dinitrotrichlorobenzene (conc. HNO3, H2SO4, heat)
React with sodium azide to give triazidotrinitrobenzene
Nitrate to triazidotrinitrobenzene

Not exactly OTC you see.... I shanged the last steps, generally it is done using trinitrotrichlorobenzene, but since that takes very harsh conditions for nitration I figure the dinitro will work fine, since triazidotrinitrobenzene nitrates easily to the trinitro.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
oneup
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 00:15

I have toluene, KmnO4, NaClO, NaOH, Cl2, NaNO2, HCl, EtOH, HNO3, H2SO4 the only things I don't have are AlCl3 and Sodium Azide, and if I would have had NaN3 I would have made it into lead azide.
Taaie-Neuskoek
Hazard to Others

Mood: Botanical!

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 05:09

That is very usefull information, Chris! Thanks for sharing. I did play around with dinitrodiazobenzene perchlorate, but that was unstable and would decompose very quickly...
If I am home I would love to try that, I've got alinine on the shelf, and the rest as well. I've always find these diazo compounds quite fascinating.

This sounds like a very workable setup, AlCl3 is not easily made I see, This thread gives more information. Is AlCl3 watched on, or is it easy to get?
Again, oneup, you can look for NaN3 in car-airbags, just go to a scrapyard and ask for a wheel with an airbag in...
Saw it open carefully, they're made out of aluminium, so that's not too hard.
Also - lead azide is not a very good detonator!! It is unstable over time, and is still friction sensitive! People even warn not too stir with a magnetic stirrer when the stuff is in solution!! Look into the azoclathrate synthesis provided by mr. Anonymous here, or stick to double salts - they're much safer, and (relatively to lead azide) not so toxic...

Ow, balancedWorld, I have absolutely no idea what you are asking... can you be a little bit more specific, or refrain from posting when under influence of certain hydrocarbons?

[Edited on 14-1-2006 by Taaie-Neuskoek]

Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience.
CD-ROM-LAUFWERK
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 09:42

i found this article in an old HMTD-tharade:
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?action=attach...
mark
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-1-2006 at 18:35

"Better however is to use ammonium nitrate instead (!) of Nitroglycerin."

Maybe you meant

Better however is to use ammonium nitrate instead of Kieselguhr.
mommo
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 12:11

Quote:
Originally posted by oneup
I wrote a PDF about HE.
dowload it here: click
Tell me how you like it:)

I can't find this file, can anyone post it again? Thanx!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top