Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Score!!! Supplied air respirator...
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 14:57
Score!!! Supplied air respirator...

Just landed a brand spanking new MSA pressure on demand air line respirator for $230 US.

http://media.msanet.com/NA/USA/SAR/AirLineRespirators/Pressu...

It has the Ultra Elite mask, a belt mounted regulator that hooks onto an air compressor up to 300 feet away using standard quick connect fittings and can be upgraded to an escape cylinder.

Once upgraded with an escape cylinder it will be NIOSH/MHSA approved for use in environments that are considered Immediatly Dangerous to Life and Health. :D

F'n sweet I say. Now I can play with some of the more poisonous chemicals outside without a fume hood...

I figured if I can't be protected from the fumes via a fume hood, this is the next best option, and considering how toxic some stuff is, you just about gotta have one on for safety anyways even with a fume hood.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 15:26

You may already know this but any respirator equipment is only as good as the fit on your face, assuming you need to pull a slight vacuum while using it. IIRC the air on demand type would.

I never have been on supplied air but used to have to go thru an annual mask fitting test and practice with the escape air cartridge (SKA-PACK). I would occaisionally use a particulate air respirator when entering radioactive contamination zones at work.

Don't get me wrong - this is constructive criticism. I commend you for putting your $ to protect your health. ;)

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top