Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Having troubles identifying an unknown.
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2006 at 23:13
Having troubles identifying an unknown.

Is it even possible to have a diene compound that contains an OH group somewhere??? FFS, stupid chemfinder sucks my balls. Anyway I have an organic unknown blah blah blah.... contains an OH group somewhere blah blah blah..... possibly contains a carbon carbon double. Formula is C6H11O

I came up with something along the lines of

3,5-hexadiene-1-ol

stupid chemfinder gives no hits.

I keep looking for a diene compound in my book that contains an OH group somewhere to make sure my naming is correct but they are no where to be found....

anyway long story short my lab report is due in like 8 hours.

oh ya I need to refrence some refractive index data I collected to prove my compound any help would be appreciated.

[Edited on 17-1-2006 by tom haggen]

N/A
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2006 at 04:10

Quote:
Originally posted by tom haggen
Formula is C6H11O

The unusual part is that the degree of unsaturation for this molecule is 1.5.....not 2 (as a diene would have)

Also, your proposed molecule, 3,5-hexadiene-1-ol, has only 10 hydrogens, not the 11 your formula requires.
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-1-2006 at 10:00

Ya I realized that last night after I posted this thread. How the hell am I supposed to find a molecule with 11 hydrogens.... I think my teacher gave us the wrong formula. But heres some more information anyway.

Smell - very similar to that of isopropyl alcohol

Refractive index - 1.394

Color - Piss yellow

boiling point - none taken.

so there you have it an alcohol with 11 hydrogens

guess im just gonna play dumb when I hand this lab in.

And another thing, I'm positive its not cyclohexanol, just incase she did get the formula wrong. The reason I say this is because I will never forget the ungodly smell of cyclohexanol.

N/A
Dodoman
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-1-2006 at 12:46

A methyl drevative of oxazolane probably 2-methyl oxazolane
Then again that would also contain 10 H. But I think could help you think in a new direction.

[Edited on 17-1-2006 by Dodoman]
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 17-1-2006 at 17:28

Could you have an empirical formula on your hands rather than a molecular one?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 17-1-2006 at 17:51

I played around trying to solve this one, without relearning the formal method, and couldn't. I'm wondering if this is even possible based on the normal valences of C, H, and O.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2006 at 00:07

Well I talked to her today and she admitted it was wrong. Then she proceeded to tell me that the formla was C6H12OH

I thought for a second and realized this did not solve the problem as it gives a molecule with an odd number of hydrogens. I then decided that if she cant give us good information then I dont give a shit about including information on it in my report. Oh ya and I used this as a lame excuse to skip lecture lol.

[Edited on 18-1-2006 by tom haggen]

N/A
runlabrun
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2006 at 01:55

if the degree of unsaturation comes out as anything apart from a whole number (integer) then the formula could be a molecular fragment with a resident charge and as such does not normally exist except in regions such as those found in mass spectrometers. The molecular formula is wrong, i would assume she meant C6H12O in which case you would have an unsaturation of 6+1 - 12/2 = 1 so you can only have one double bond in your structure. My assumption for this would be hexanal or hexan-2-one or hexan-3-one where the double bond lies on the oxygen-carbon or any arrangement with a hydroxyl group and carbon-carbon double bond system and could also probably include a single carbon branch point, there are alot of possibilities so extra information apart from the molecular formula are required for a full identification.
Try that on your teacher.

-rlr

[Edited on 18-1-2006 by runlabrun]
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 18-1-2006 at 04:53

"...Piss yellow..." "...C6H12OH..." Why do I have the sickening feeling that your sample is conjugated somewhere and that your teacher is playing with you?

"...boiling point - none taken..."

Have you attempted a distillation?

sparky (~_~)

P.S. In case you still have time, try dropping some cold dilute neutral KMnO<sub>4</sub> (a.k.a. Baeyer's reagent) on your sample. If you see brown MnO<sub>2</sub>, there's a good chance that the unsaturation is due to a double bond.

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."

Go To Top