Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sodium Hydroxide, Drain openers
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2007 at 00:15

If it's not specifically chemical grade enamel, strong bases or acids will trash it. Enamels are generally soft glasses, composed so as to thermally fit with the metal they are used on. Like most glass they are attacked by strong base, and are more intended to be used with weak acids or bases.

Chloride ions are hell on ferrous alloys of most types, and rough on many other metals as well. Halides will destroy the protective film on stainless steel, resulting in fast corrosion. If you can't keep halides out of your solutions, you will have to go with something more expensive and harder to get. Silver or in some cases special brass alloys were traditionally used, nickel alloys, titanium, and various special alloys are the current favs.

See
http://www.hghouston.com/naoh_tbl.html
BeanyBoy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2007 at 05:48
What a Redneck State!

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. Wack
It is in many jurisdictions. Really.
http://www.kansas.gov/drugenforcement/retailmeth.htm
Programs like this reached every hardware and grocery store in my area years ago, and have been updated (i.e. the "Meth Watch" program) since. Combination purchases top the lists here, though not appearing on that KS one.

How bizzare. One of my other hobbies is genealogy- the study of Family History. Kansas is this big Black Hole for data, as privacy concerns makes almost any state record unavailable. In most states, since marriage is a civil status (which offends my religious sensibilities), marriage records are open to you even if you're not closely related. But Kansas is one of those states where you have to prove the person whose marriage record you're after is either YOU, or one of your direct-line ancestors. You can't even get your brother or sister's marriage record, even if they died without offspring!

How annoyingly inconsistent!

-beanmeister supremo
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top