Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Our prolific, multifaceted troll- ban him or not?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 20:19
Our prolific, multifaceted troll- ban him or not?

I am somewhat torn regarding our multifaceted troll-

He IS wasting massive amounts of the time members might spend on actual people with genuine questions.

However, some of the material put out by members in response is brilliant, and well worth reading.

Should we consider him to be analogous to an environmental challenge to the immune system that helps keep the organism healthy, or as a malignant cancer that sapps the organisms energy and should be excised wherever discovered...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 20:40

I have to say, I(and hopefully some others) can't really say unless we know precisely who it is you're talking about. Has this person perhaps fraudulently claimed to hold a doctorate and indicated this in their username?

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 21:00

That could be one incarnation.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=46...

There are at least 5 other nicks behaving in a strikingly similar fashion.

Precious

Chinchilla

Smokeup

AsocialSurvival

TerroristChemist/TiniestChemist

And likely more that I have not noticed, or have not been as blatantly obvious as these.

Then there was this little gem:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=51...

phendrol

ewel

Same critter, or just a meth cook trying to spread his spoon feeding requests across several nicks?

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 21:22

If I was to throw my thoughts in I would go for a ban.
Granted there have been some brilliant responses but that is more a reflection of the high quality of members here than it is his capacity as an intellectual stimulant.

I for one feel ripped off that I devoted any time to reading and responding to one of his threads when I first joined. I don't mind answering a genuine question. I don't enjoy pissing into the wind.

[edit]
I am not sure why trolling and sock-puppetry is not an instant bannable offence. It is on other boards I frequent.
[/edit]

[Edited on 2-12-2014 by j_sum1]
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 21:40

I vote ban on sight. Just treat him/her like a spammer.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 02:24

Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
I have to say, I(and hopefully some others) can't really say unless we know precisely who it is you're talking about. Has this person perhaps fraudulently claimed to hold a doctorate and indicated this in their username?
Whether or not Dr. Bob is a real doctor, he does sell some good glassware; and I vote not to ban him! :D
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 06:22

Dr. Bob never called himself ThePhDChemist.

Don't recall him specifying that he holds a Ph.D.

He might be an MD, a D.D. or even Th.D.

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 06:26

It was a joke. Dr. Doctorate. Big laughing face. A joke. Humour.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 06:42

Life is serious! For more information, contact your local authorities!!!;)

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 07:05

I don't think we need him banned necessarily; but for just his posts and his alone, they can be reported and detritus'd any time they show anything but seriousness. Or, since we like playing with them sometimes, they could be moved to Whimsy?

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 09:29

I would prefer a ban. The quantity of usernames is prolific and the post quality is very poor, despite good conversation afterwards. He should just use one username so people get a feel for who they are helping (contributor, random people, one incessant needy degenerate). Is he also "itsmetheuglykid?"
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 10:33

Banning likely will just cause him to return later, as he already has before. That being said, I'm for it as well. Don't delete any threads and the quality replies will remain. j_sum1 is right in that the quality comes from the rest of the members, and this guy is just a distraction.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 10:55

Bert - forgot to ask you this, but do you know for sure this is the same guy trolling the forum (same IP)?

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 11:09

If you don't ban his IP address he'll just keep coming back. I don't really care if he stays or not, he's funny and doesn't really do harm.
It would be better if this was a poll. Except he might vote to stay from all of his accounts, which could very well make the difference:D!
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 11:59

I say ban all but one account and give him a troll title.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 13:06

Nah, he doesn't even deserve that much - we'd just be giving him attention, which is evidently what he craves.
I vote ban on sight, in keeping with previous policy...

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 02:46

Give him is own subforum 'village idiot'. It should generously satisfy his need for attention, would separate his crap cleanly from the rest of the forum and at the same time preserves any potentially interesting discussion his questions might provoke.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 13:20

(Edit) In no way do I wish to appear to threaten anyone. Sorry if the first paragraph was taken that way, I was just explaining what I learned today and how.

I wish to offer this amnesty to our various users who have registered more than one account:

Come clean here, introduce yourself to the community and start over. Pick which name you will use, and all is forgiven (assuming you go forward in line with the fuidelines given in the FAQ and are an ethical, respectable member). Trust me, if you did this for attention- You have now received it.

If you feel there is a legitimate reason for using multiple identities here, PM me. I do understand that connecting you work/public ID to certain lines of personal interest inquiry might be a bad career decision...

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by Bert]

[Edited on 3-12-2014 by Bert]

chinchilla
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 20:41

Bert, you really hurt my feelings. I was trying offer a method for the manufacture of saltpeter using fixed nitrogen in the form of urea. I have engaged this process for seven summers and wanted to share it. I also have several issues regarding it that could value from input by others. If you feel i am not worthy of participating in the forum i won't. I have always enjoyedyour posts.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 21:23

Chinchilla/various other names- Come in from the cold and participate. Please. It will be easier & waste less of your time, as well as ours to do so under a single identity. More time spent on our actual interests has to be an improvement?

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 09:26

Maybe out of line, but here I am complaining about someone.

Has this person perhaps fraudulently claimed to hold a doctorate and indicated this in their username?

If that would bother you, what about "blueberry58?" The guy claims to have an MD, yet also admits to treating patients with what is likely a sham treatment (fraud!), and clearly is abusing this forum for what should be simple work themselves, likely while being paid an above-average salary for their nationality, and not yet contributing anything in return.

Examples: not citing literature, repeatedly. Asking for medical lab apparatus sources. Asking questions on separation and purification without appropriate equipment.

Worst part not related to human health? Literally every single spoonfeeding post is replicated on chemicalforums. How many rules is this guy bending if not outright breaking?
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 15:00

I see that Dr. Bob was mentioned in this thread. From the few exchanges we had on this forum, I got the impression that he, like me, is not a Dr. in chemistry but has a similar background like me, that is, micro-and-nanofabrication/technology.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 16:15

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  
Maybe out of line, but here I am complaining about someone.

Has this person perhaps fraudulently claimed to hold a doctorate and indicated this in their username?

If that would bother you, what about "blueberry58?" The guy claims to have an MD, yet also admits to treating patients with what is likely a sham treatment (fraud!), and clearly is abusing this forum for what should be simple work themselves, likely while being paid an above-average salary for their nationality, and not yet contributing anything in return.

Examples: not citing literature, repeatedly. Asking for medical lab apparatus sources. Asking questions on separation and purification without appropriate equipment.

Worst part not related to human health? Literally every single spoonfeeding post is replicated on chemicalforums. How many rules is this guy bending if not outright breaking?
I believe the reference was to ThePHDChemist.
Blueberry is a different issue. But I agree, there is something weird happening here.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 16:28

At some point, one needs to have acquired a reputation for giving as well as getting. I hope that bluberry58 might be able to help others as well as harvest information for his day job...

ThePhdChemist under his various incarnations is a quite different issue. And even he has occasionally thrown out something useful.

Dr. Bob is a stand up guy, no one needs to explain that or defend him to anyone who's been here long-

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 16:41

I don't see anything wrong with falsely claiming to hold a doctorate here. This is the internet. We all know people commonly pretend to be someone they are not. It'd be much better to judge people by their actual contributions and not their nick.

Besides, having a PhD myself, believe me that it means very little. Some of the smartest, most interesting and hard working people I know have no degree at all, and I know quite a few PhD's that are not exactly the sharpest pencil in the box and/or downright lazy.

[Edited on 5-12-2014 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top