Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buy/Sell/Trade & Steals'n Deals
ChemSales
Harmless

Mood: Fairly Decent

[*] posted on 25-1-2006 at 16:13
Buy/Sell/Trade & Steals'n Deals

Hello.

I am an amateur experimenter very much like yourselves.

As everyone pretty much knows, purchasing chemicals can be a real pain in the behind and the wallet.

Sometimes buying chemicals in bulk is the only way to go. For example, it is possible purchase 50lbs of some chemicals for the same price as 2-3 pounds at a dedicated chem supply company. This can save hundreds of dollars. That sounds good in theory, but most chemical resellers want business licenses and/or minimum order totals, plus you gotta get rid of excess materials that are uneeded.

Polverone has graciously decided to let me sell some of my "overstock" on this board. For now, all I have to offer for sale is some industrial grade prilled 4a activated molecular sieves in the 8-12 mesh, which is equal to approx 1/16th of an inch. I decided to get the smaller size as the increased surface area should allow for faster drying.

If you’re interested, drop me a PM/U2U. Prices will be determined on how many pounds total I can get rid of. I'm guessing that prices will be around the $15 per pound range, with shipping included in the price. This price is well below what several chemical companies that sell to individuals want… from what I have seen prices their prices average around $40 per 500 grams.

Later on, I will be getting a business license and ordering some of the more common acids used acids in the lab such as sulfuric, nitric, phosphoric and acetic... possibly by the drum. Hydrochloric acid is too OTC to mess with. It will take some time to figure out how to safely re-package and re-ship the acids because I want to do things LEGALLY. If you have any special requests, PM me.

Later on I plan on getting accounts with some of the fine chemical suppliers like AA (guess who that stands for) so I can aquire hard to get things like sodium and potassium metal or other specialty materials. I'm considering selling those items at near cost and charging a flat per item reseller fee.

I will under no circumstances sell any DEA List I chemical to any individual. That means no phosphorus, iodine, or any thing of that nature... so please don't even ask. If the chemical is uncontrolled but considered suspicious, I may request that photo ID be provided to cover my own rear end. If what I'm selling is dangerous, I may require that a statement of intended usage and waiver of liability be filled out and signed.

I hope this helps out the members out there pursue their research.

If you’re a member and have anything you wish to sell or trade, post them in this thread so they can be kept together.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 08:35

Just to be clear, shipment is in the US only of you can ship across border?

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 13:39

Nice... A few questions

Are you going to have that 20usd Hazzmatt fee that all other chemical sellers have. Are you going to also sell lab equipment too or is it just chemicals?
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 19:05

I often wonder about the Hazmat fee. Some chemical sellers charge and others do not.
ChemSales
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 20:19

So far I'm working on shipping to the EU and I don't think it'll be too much of a problem... however some materials are simply not shippable overseas.

As far as Hazmat fees go, wellllll... I'll have to look at it on an item to item basis. The penalties for having a non labled hazmat container leak during shipment can literally run in the tens of thousands of dollars. Personally, my opinion is that if its a powder or other solid, then your OK because you can seal stuff up pretty good and the shipper not find out about it unless they do something stupid like run over the box or drive a forklift thru the side.

If its a liquid, then maybe according to how reactive it is.

If its an acid, probably so. I will try to "cheat" as much as legally possible using ORM-D quantity exemptions for the folks wanting small quantities. Beta testing of the shipping containers will have to be conducted in a clothes dryer because those UPS fockers give packages hell. :D

The best solution to shipping may be to just buy several gallons of what you want then have it sent out LTL truck carrier from one shipping terminal to the next and have the purchaser pick it up there. I'm will be checking into that this week.

Its crazy, but on a 1 liter order of acid the freaking cardboard box alone can cost more than the bulk product.

I do plan on having some lab equip for sale, but I don't have any wholesalers so everything would have to be resold and I'd have to charge a nominal handling fee for re-shipping and dealing with the company.

The only lab equipment I'm working on currently is having some custom gas diffusion apparati made. Basically they are a ground glass gas inlet adapter with a tube going down the center and a frit on the end. This will let you turn any standard jointed flask into a gas wash bottle or to make saturated gas solutions.

Other things are sub $400 overhead stirrers... they are off brand but the quality seems OK... horsepower is unknown, but the motors are controlled to maintain the same speed regardless of viscosity. Prices will probably go up because I'd want to upgrad the stainless shafts to teflon. A 24/40 sealed teflon bearing will probably cost a little over $200.
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 20:38

Don't even think about shipping hazardous materials in unmarked packages using regular service. You can go to jail for a long time. In the post 911 world the US government seriously frowns on this practice. Standard packages sometimes get put on passenger aircraft if they are running late. If your unmarked box happened to be in a lot like that and they found it....bad news. Even though you did not intend it to get shipped by air, you would do serious federal time.

If your going to do this, do it right and get your hazmat training and become a certified shipper. There is no reason the risk your freedom to make a few bucks.

P.S. most carriers are wise to the ORMD trick.

[Edited on 27-1-2006 by ordenblitz]
ChemSales
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-1-2006 at 02:40

I'm flying with ya there ordenblitz.

It just takes quite a bit of time and not to mention money (which I need for other purposes at the moment) to get set up as a certified shipper. There are training courses that must be gone through and all sorts of other gobbledygook including getting set up with a 24 hour spill response information service.

But, I'd say that the ORM-D trick still works well as I have been sent hazmat material via several chemical companies and not had to pay a fee. For example, thechemistrystore.com will send you all the sodium hydroxide you want in 2lb containers without accruing a hazmat fee. Any more than that in one container and they rip you a new one. As long as you do not exceed the max container size and/or max number of containers per package restrictions you should be good to go.

All in all if you ask me its about freaking stupid. UPS must make a MINT off of hazmat fees.
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 27-1-2006 at 07:35

UPS probably makes nothing after all the expense of training their hazmat employees doing and keeping the reems of documentation the feds require.
You can look around and find deals on 24hr line services usually through trade groups and organizations in your industry. IATA is a good resource for help and information on shipping haz. Training for certification should cost about $600 a year is you shop around. Fed Ex sometimes offers it for a reasonable price, or at least they have in the past.

ORMD has it's purpose if used correctly. What I meant was the practice of putting just about anything including explosives in a box, slapping a ORM-D sticker on it, calling it good and shipping it. There is a list of what and how much can be shipped using: Other Regulated Material - D
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 27-1-2006 at 12:17

I have a couple of websites/ebay auctions that have huge bulk amounts of stuff...

Would you be interested in them?
Drunkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: somewhat pissed.

[*] posted on 31-1-2006 at 10:50

I need some moelcular sieves btw.

I need other stuff too. If u guys can compile a price list or something and preferably a web site of some description then this would be helpful.

Cheerz

Go To Top