Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: stupid beginner mistake
Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 20:50
stupid beginner mistake

i was using the name ellafuntay, but for some reason i cant log in now. so, now i am hellafunt.
anyway, the other night i was using a separatory funnel and i was excited to see my creation split into 2 phases like it was supposed to. so, what did i do? i threw away the wrong phase! ouch, so stupid! surely i cant be the first person to do this?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 21:19

I generally try to keep beakers around to retain fractions when doing a liquid-liquid extraction. This helps when consolidating and assists in preventing that kind of mistake.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 23:23

I had a student do something like that once. She was supposed to extract with dichloromethane, but wasn't paying attention and used saturated sodium chloride solution (hey, they both contain the syllable "chlor", right?).

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 01:48

Ermmmm NO, I have never done this...............I cant believe there is a mistake I havnt made yet!! Although to be fair most of the things I make that are meant to separate dont, so its not normally an issue

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 01:51

In the bakery we say ,"the expert is the one who has made all the mistakes."
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 05:52

I've tipped my hard-won product into a separating funnel with the stopcock open, before. It's a mistake you only make once! :D
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 12:20

Short answer: Yes !

It is a great idea to have plenty of spare beakers, and keep everything until you are sure that it ll went OK.

Personally i use a marker pen on the beakers so i (hope i) know what is in there.

It washes off glass easily.

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 14:26

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  
I've tipped my hard-won product into a separating funnel with the stopcock open, before. It's a mistake you only make once! :D

I hate to argue with you but........................ Your wrong......very wrong.:(:(:( so far 3 times :o, and I have also used a ring one size too big and the funnel wet right through and smashed on the floor. I like to think I am just getting my mistakes out the way early in my career so later it will all be smooth and plain sailing.
Now I am going to go feed the fairies mums says lives at the bottom of the garden lol

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-12-2014 at 02:29

Well, fair enough. Maybe you should try working with a starting material that costs several hundred pounds a gram?! Monetary loss (especially when met by yourself) is often an incredibly strong motivation to check the tap! People are generally clumsy at your age, though - no offence! - it's the growth spurts that mess up your co-ordination. Actually, that doesn't explain forgetting to check the tap! Not at all!

Go To Top