Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ni from coins
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 17-11-2003 at 05:20

"An interesting approach to a study of the stabillity of molten NH4NO3 in the presence of heavy metals. Please let me know if you are going to do it so I can be sure to be out of the way."
WELL, my chemistry book says that molten AN can be used to extract metal oxides like ZnO or MgO out of their ores and gives an example equation:
2NH4NO3 + CuO => Cu(NO3)2 + 2NH3 + H2O
Or for the reaction with the metals themselves: "analogous to nitric acid":
Cu + 3NH4NO3 => Cu(NO3)2 + N2 + 2NH3 +3H2O.
On second thoughts... If you are right and my chemistry book and me are wrong, then Cu - containing thermites are nice detonators of AN! ;)
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 17-11-2003 at 08:40

I would be wary when considering mixing molten ammonium nitrate with copper and nickel, as ammonium nitrate tends to complex with the salts of copper and nickel to form primary explosives.

[Edited on 17-11-2003 by madscientist]

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 28-11-2003 at 02:31

fascinating conversation guys!

but....maybe......

....http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 28-11-2003 at 02:32

also

what is patent # for BLACK HOLE BLACK

I had read about it in an unrelated publication and I too am VERY curious!:o

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 18:16

I forget the exact specifications but nickel can be extracted from copper by fusing with sulfur and sodium hydroxide (at high heat of course, it is fusing) The copper sulfide is soluble in the molten hydroxide whereas the nickel is not, upon cooling there are two distinct layers, I believe the upper is nickel sulfide and the bottom the mixture of copper sulfide and sodium hydroxide, and such. If anyone is interested give me a holler and I'll get the specifics.

Also as a side question, does anyone have any experience with nickel electroforming?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Tacho
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 09:56

A description of the process:

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993356

It seems that you can deposit the proper nickel alloy by immertion "for five hours in a solution of nickel sulphate and sodium hypophosphite"

Of course, the devil lies in the details.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2003 at 12:15

Here is a place to start
http://yarchive.net/metal/electroless_nickel.html
Tacho
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 09:15

It seems that the electroless deposited nickel is perfect for super black.

I am very interested in depositing nickel in non-conductive surfaces. I intend to give it a try soon, but I cold not get sodium hypophosphite, only magnesium hypophosphite.

I presume that, if it is soluble, the reducing power of the hypophosphite ion will be enough to make a deposit. I will use an alkaline bath, with ammonium chloride and nickel chloride.

BTW, doing searches on hypophosphites, I found that they are soon to be controlled chemicals in the US.

A very comprehensive study about electroless nickel is here:
http://www.ias.ac.in/sadhana/Pdf2003JunAug/Pe1104.pdf
Tacho
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-12-2003 at 08:51

I tried a solution of 3 parts nickel chloride, 3 parts magnesium hypophosphite, 10 parts ammonium chloride, and 50 parts water. The exact amounts don’t seem to be crucial. I used a glass flask and heated it to 90ÂșC. Inside I put a Cu wire and a wood rod. After 1 hour, nothing had happened. I tossed in a solder wire, because it has Sn, and Uncle Al said in sci.chem that you have to prepare the surface using Sn ions. Whatever.

I left the reaction unatended for a couple of hours and when I came back, all the water had boiled away. I didn’t use any thermostat.

There was shiny nickel in the Cu wire, there was powdered nickel on the wood rod, there was NO nickel in the glass surface and there was nickel on the solder wire. Filling the flask again with water I noticed there was also flat nickel flakes floating about, just a few.

I put the Cu wire in dilute nitric acid. It reacted and eventually peeled off, but at no moment it became black. I guess the alkaline bath, using ammonium chloride, doesn’t deposit phosphorus enough.

I wonder how can I prepare a ceramic surface to be plated this way.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-12-2003 at 14:59

I might look into silvering the surface (search on amateur telescope making) and then nickel plating that. Slightly ironic to start the process of making something black by coating it with silver.
nodrog19
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-6-2008 at 18:05

the penny was changed in 1983
jarynth
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 05:15
Porous Nickel

As a follow up to my Castner cell experiments, I tried to take advantage of nickel's and copper's different resistance to oxidation in hot alkali. As often mentioned in the electrolytical sodium thread, a Ni anode in molten NaOH won't corrode, whereas Cu immediately starts getting oxidized, as evidenced by the blue tinge diffusing from the anode. This principle should allow us to extract the Cu from suitable coins if these are used as anodes in the NaOH melt (unless the presence of Cu makes Ni more vulnerable) and obtain a sort of Ni sponge.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the patience to melt NaOH again so I just took as the electrolyte a concentrated aqueous solution of NaOH instead. This did NOT work as desired. However, a large worn (= previously used in other experiments) 75/25 Cu/Ni coin regained its shine. The electrolysis probably removed the metallic salt and oxide residues on the surface. After the experiment, the coin actually looked rather greyish, kinda like pure nickel, but this could be due to the sandpapering done before the electrolysis.
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 07:02
Circulating coins made of pure nickel

A number of circulating coins are 'pure' nickel. (I might be off by 1 or so on some of the dates, I don't have my notes with me right now):

Most Canadian nickels before 1982 (some exceptions during WW2/Korean War)
Most Canadian 10/25/50 cent from 1968-1999.
Many Netherlands and France coins (no Euro coins though), e.g. 1/2 Fr and 1 Fr are Ni I think.

I am interested in a more complete list, as I collect elements, and these coins are cheap and so fun and easy to collect.

As far as copper cents, US cents before 1982 are 95% Cu, those after 1982 are Zn, 1982 goes either way. To distinguish, weigh them, Cu cents weigh c. 3.1 g, Zn cents weigh 2.5 g.
Canadian cents were 98% Cu until more recently, maybe the late 90's, I don't remember for sure. I think a lot of older UK coins are close to pure Cu as well.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 09:27

Dutch pre-euro coins were 99.5% nickel with a little other stuff mixed in (IIRC tin, and some metalloid elements). The coins which were nickel are
- 10 cents, 1948 and later (dubbeltje)
- 25 cents, 1948 and later (kwartje)
- 1 guilder, 1969 and later (gulden)
- 2.5 guilders, 1969 and later (rijksdaalder)

We also had 1 cent and 5 cents coins. There were made of pure copper, starting from 1948.

Unfortunately this nice source of pure copper and nickel has gone when the euro was introduced. I am happy to have saved almost 1 kilo of dubbeltjes and kwartjes. 1 dubbeltje is 1.5 grams of nickel, one kwartje is 3 grams of nickel. So, the total value of coins is only 30..35 guilders, appr. EUR 15.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
ssdd
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hypergolic

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 12:02

This may sound a bit obvious, but at the cost of dissolving so many coils to collect the nickel would it not be a bit more economical to purchase the metal itself and not worry about purity?

United Nuclear sells Ni strips for $3 each (5in by .75in)

This is at least if you want to use the metal for other experiments, but if you just want to prove you can extract it I guess that works too....

-ssdd

All that glitters may not be gold, but at least it contains free electrons.
-- John Desmond Baernal
http://deepnorth.info/
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 14:51

The nickel coins from NL are very pure nickel, so there is no need to worry about that. Actually, they are a fantastic source of pure nickel. It also allows dissolving small amounts (the small coins only are 1.5 grams) and the cost of the coins probably is less than buying nickel strip from some supplier.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
ssdd
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hypergolic

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 15:24

Ah OK, I was thinking more in the terms of American coins when I had made that statement. But I could see how having coins with a much higher percentage of Ni in them would make it much more economical.

I just had this funny mental image of people taking massive amounts of Nickels and dissolving them.... :P

-ssdd

All that glitters may not be gold, but at least it contains free electrons.
-- John Desmond Baernal
http://deepnorth.info/
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 17:16

I've bought Canadian 25 cent coins at less than Ni spot before. Mainly I am just collecting them (like I collect other elements).

As for alloys like 75 Cu/25 Ni (US 5 cent coins) and similar, I agree, it is kind of silly to extract the separate metals, unless you just feel like doing it. But there are close to pure coins, for various elements.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 05:49

Cupro-nickel, usually 75% Cu 25% Ni, is widely used as imitation "silver" coinage in many countries. Until about 1900, almost pure Ag was used (I have one or two such coins), then until sometime between about 1946 and 1963 alloys of about 50% Ag, 37.5% Cu, 12.5% Ni were used, and after that no Ag at all (except in special commemorative coins).

That being the case, I wonder what efficient means of separating Cu and Ni could be used on cupro-nickel. An obvious one would be the carbonyl process used for purifying Ni industrially, but generating and using large amounts of CO in a laboratory would be very dangerous.

[Edited on 6-10-08 by JohnWW]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 06:50

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnWW
but generating and using large amounts of CO in a laboratory would be very dangerous.

Gnaw, CO isn't much of a pain, it's quite easy to stack charcoal, blow a mild current through it and get a billowing dark blue flame out the top, pure CO burning in air. Tap off as much as you'd like, or do it inside pyrex tubing heated with a bunsen burner.

Now generating and using large amounts of Ni(CO)5 in a laboratory would be very dangerous.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 08:08

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnWW
but generating and using large amounts of CO in a laboratory would be very dangerous.

Gnaw, CO isn't much of a pain, it's quite easy to stack charcoal, blow a mild current through it and get a billowing dark blue flame out the top, pure CO burning in air. Tap off as much as you'd like, or do it inside pyrex tubing heated with a bunsen burner.

Now generating and using large amounts of Ni(CO)5 in a laboratory would be very dangerous.

Tim

Dangerous, and quite tricky since it only forms the tetracarbonyl.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 09:15

Oops, that's iron. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_carbonyl#Charge-neutral_b...

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top