Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 24/40 or 19/22?
Flip
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 12:57
24/40 or 19/22?

I'm just wondering if there is really a functional difference aside from the difference in size. Is one generally preferred over another?

If I buy a set of glassware, my aim would be to have the most popular joint size, so as to be compatible with other pieces I might find from private sellers. I don't want to get 19/22 only to find that everyone and their mother on ebay or labx uses 24/40.

That being said, what is your preference?
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 18:20

I just buy what is compatible with what I already have: 24/40. It seems to be the most popular size in North America.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 19:30

I bought 19/22 as I was familiar with it from school. Also I wanted to keep the size of my equipment down. The largest RB flask is 500 ml and the smallest is 25mL.

This works fine if you just want to do a synthesis to verify that you can do it. But if you want to stock your reagent shelf the equipment size is a little small. E.g., for making chloroform I would like to have a 1-liter or even a 2-liter flask.

[Edited on 6-3-2006 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 11-3-2006 at 10:40

If you're brewing nitric acid and such, you'll be handling large volumes and 24/40 is better.

As for me, in my organic chem labs, we use 14/20--and it's quite good for working on small scale (that is, 50 mL or less). Probably good for orgainc synthesis, too...

Heh, but at work I came across a box of 24/40 columns--a good 18" long. I was surprised at how huge this popular standard taper really is. :)

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.

Go To Top