Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Decomposition products of creatine monohydrate?
math
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 12-12-2014 at 09:42
Decomposition products of creatine monohydrate?

Hi,

I'm puzzled about creatine monohydrate (in form of pure, food grade powder) shelf life.

Some manufacturers list it as little as 2 years, however what would really happen in a dry powder like that unless an enzyme, finely divided metals, water, strong light or high temperature (way more than ambient one) or a mix of them is introduced?

Thank you :)
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
13-12-2014 at 01:47
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 01:48

I bought some dimethyl sulfone that also has a 'shelf-life' of 2 years. It certainly does not reflect its chemical stability, so where they got that figure from is anyone's guess. Perhaps it's some maximum legal time period for consumable supplements?

In your case, 'decomposition' to creatinine may be a possibility? Though hardly a problem.
math
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-12-2014 at 14:48

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  
I bought some dimethyl sulfone that also has a 'shelf-life' of 2 years. It certainly does not reflect its chemical stability, so where they got that figure from is anyone's guess. Perhaps it's some maximum legal time period for consumable supplements?

In your case, 'decomposition' to creatinine may be a possibility? Though hardly a problem.

Could be. I don't know how it would lose a water molecule plus degrade to creatinine inside a box at room temperature. :)
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2014 at 02:18

Many things do. I'm sure you could find stability studies for storage of the chemical over prolonged periods, if you are interested. You obviously ARE interested, so why not look it up? This is a common test for every pharmaceutical. Stability studies. It'll be easy to find if you type it into google.

[Edited on 30-12-2014 by forgottenpassword]

Go To Top