Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ketene Lamp for sale- custom glass
Weinreb
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2014 at 17:28
Ketene Lamp for sale- custom glass

I have a custom made Ketene Lamp manufactured to the specs described in Vogels available for sale. Please see the following link for a diagram explaining how the lamp is setup from Vogels Ketene Lamp Diagram per Vogel

It can be used for both synthesis of ketene from acetone and 1,3-Butadiene from cyclohexene (Org. Synth. 1937, 17, 25)

The large taper joint supporting the filament tree is T55/50 and the smaller male and female joints are T24/40.

The side tube for return of condensed acetone has a wide-bore 3 way teflon stopcock in line that can be used to divert return of acetone to boiling flask if so desired.

The nichrome filament is new and is approx 24 guage. It can easily be replaced as it is secured to the electrodes with brass screw-down couplers.

The unit was manufactured by Scientific Glass & Plastics, Inc.

Please post here with any questions or additional photo requests. Please U2U for asking price.

Thank you, I hope this beautiful lamp finds an owner who will enjoy it as much as I have!

It does have a slight defect as displayed in the picture below- One of the electrodes snapped below the end of the glass tubing surrounding it, however this is not a serious issue as the glass can be easily nipped back to expose electrode shaft. I can do this upon request. The tubing surrounding the second electrode is also slightly chipped.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 15-12-2014 at 03:29

Ketene, eh?
At first glance, I misread the word carpets as "caskets" . . . :o

The broken electrode may be a real problem since the glass/metal seal may be compromised!
Sorry.

[Edited on 15-12-2014 by hissingnoise]
Weinreb
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2014 at 10:27

Quote:

At first glance, I misread the word carpets as "caskets" . . . :o The broken electrode may be a real problem since the glass/metal seal may be compromised! Sorry.

I should have mentioned this in the first post... The glass/metal seal is at the bottom of the glass tube as seen in the fourth picture--- the area with the blue tint applied. The tubes supporting the electrodes are slightly larger in diameter than the electrodes allowing a little wiggle room. It should be fairly simple to nip or melt the glass back without breaking the seal. I have not done it as I figured someone with a torch may be able to do a nicer job than myself.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 15-12-2014 at 12:58

One just can't 'hope for the best' with ketene.

IIRC, the Ace lamp had a somewhat more robust electrode fixing though it, too, used hard-to-clean nichrome but at least the filament was taut on its supports!

The Pt/Ir filament ─ stuff of dreams . . .

Go To Top