Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dissolving Radium and Friends
PacketStorm
Harmless

Mood: Very Curious

[*] posted on 27-7-2006 at 05:55

IrC you mentioned detecting gamma with damp ZnS - does that work? I thought it only responded to alphas.

Also, I wanted to mention a good way (that I found at least) for making a pretty effective scintillation screen with powdered ZnS.

I took some clear packing tape, tapped out a very small pile of ZnS on it and smeared it around on the adhesive side until I had a very thin layer - just to the point where the tape lost its stickiness. Obviously you know that you must keep the layer extremely thin in order to see through from the other side (non sticky) and not absorb too many alphas on a frontal layer that is blocked from view.

Put your alpha source on the ZnS side and enjoy the show! Mine reacts quite well to an Am-241 source from a smoke detector. I've been wanting to get a microscope to view the scintillations - primarily to get a higher magnification and also to get my face and eyes away from the source when using the magnifying glass method. Am-241 gives off a fairly weak gamma, but I still don't like having my face down within 3" of it when looking at the scintallations. :o

I\'m trying to see things from your point of view, but I can\'t stick my head that far up my ass...
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 27-7-2006 at 06:48

No, I mentioned smelling damp ZnS, to see if it was ZnS by noticing the rotten eggs smell of H2S.

Oh yeah I forgot, there is a silver activation process that lets it detect gammas, which was also what I mentioned checking for.

Not likely what this stuff is though, it's probably just ordinary ZnS.

[Edited on 27-7-2006 by IrC]
PacketStorm
Harmless

Mood: Very Curious

[*] posted on 27-7-2006 at 09:56

Quote:
Originally posted by IrC
No, I mentioned smelling damp ZnS, to see if it was ZnS by noticing the rotten eggs smell of H2S.

Oh yeah I forgot, there is a silver activation process that lets it detect gammas, which was also what I mentioned checking for.

Not likely what this stuff is though, it's probably just ordinary ZnS.

Gotcha - I re-read your post and I see now what you were saying.

I\'m trying to see things from your point of view, but I can\'t stick my head that far up my ass...
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 11:16
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top