Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My School, "WAR on drugs!" Caffeine Today
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chlorine Trifloride Flame Thrower

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 13:20
My School, "WAR on drugs!" Caffeine Today

Energy Drinks, Coffee and Sugary Drinks are Prohibited at School

Attached is a letter regarding specific drinks which are not allowed prior to or during school and will result in disciplinary action if brought on campus.

School Administration

My reply to the schools email account;

"Instead of devoting all this time and energy to the war on drugs why not create a drug that ends war."
Albert Hoffman

If you ask me caffeine does a great job at making people kinder and more relaxed, this is a example of the dismissal of a excellent resource. Use this to your advantage, like California and pot.

We are chemists , we bring light to the darkness. Knowledge to ignorant, excitement to the depressed and unknowing. we bring crops to broken fields and water to the desert. Where there is fear we bring curiosity.

Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 14:20

Im not seeing the attached letter, but in your post you said "prior to" school. As in, they are dictating what legal drinks you may consume before you attend school? Is this a public school, and are you talking about high school?
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 14:23

School system should never interfere in the personal life of students, however, it is clear that caffein do have physiological effect that certainly have an effect on grades and study.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 15:56

What are they going to drug test you? :o
I doubt it. Just drink your caffeine before school, and give your principal a rat's ass.

[Edited on 19-12-2014 by Zyklon-A]

Rats ass.png - 56kB
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 16:38

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
School system should never interfere in the personal life of students, however, it is clear that caffein do have physiological effect that certainly have an effect on grades and study.

Caffeine is an almost prototpyical example of a biphasic drug, including neurologically/behaviorally.
The Journal of Neuroscience, November 1995, 75(11):7612-7624
J Pharm Pharmacol. 1988 Jul;40(7):482-7.
Lat. Am. J. Pharm. 28 (3): 465-9 (2009).
Brain Res. 2006 Apr 12;1082(1):43-9.
Etc.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 16:43

I see both sides of the situation here. A kid that drinks four cans of Red Bull on the way to school is going to be a problem. As a teacher, I once had to deal with a kid who never had breakfast (or lunch) but routinely drank a two litre bottle of coke before class started in the morning. Needless to say, that kid's ability to concentrate and learn was severely compromised.
It is in schools' best interests and in the best interests of students to have policies in place that limit the consumption of these kinds of things. And it is the school's best interests to state their expectations clearly.
That said, I doubt there is anywhere in the world where a school administration can dictate what you eat or drink outside of school hours and off school grounds. Nor would anyone want to be trying to police that. What a fruitless exercise. What they can do is control what happens on school grounds and state their expectations to students, parents and other stakeholders in the community about what they feel is appropriate behaviour for students outside the school. This really is no different from any other behavioural issue that a high school might have to deal with.
So, enjoy your coffee at home. But take a good stock of your behaviour at school. If there is a chance that what you drink is negatively affecting your concentration, learning or behaviour then the school has a legitimate interest in that. Do an experiment. If it is a problem then cut the caffeine.

And this has nearly nothing to do with drugs -- even if it has to come under that heading in the school's policy documentation. For this forum I would suggest that Miscellaneous is a better location.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 16:52

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

That said, I doubt there is anywhere in the world where a school administration can dictate what you eat or drink outside of school hours and off school grounds. Nor would anyone want to be trying to police that.

This. Dealing with ones own children would be hard enough.
Not even parents seem interested in policing, amusingly. Unless a child has a job and control over their own bank account (generally requiring some level of parental co-signature), it should be somewhat feasible for a parent to determine what they feel comfortable in their child indulging in and restricting infraction to some extent.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 17:10

They don't want (USA high school?) kids using caffeine & sugar to make it through the day? I do very well understand the health, dental, psychological and behavioral issues.

Please do disclose your geographical area (and school name?) Enquiring minds want to know.

I started drinking coffee at age 8. My parents NEVER bought caffeinated soft drinks for our family, unlike all the neighbors who kept Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew & etc. on hand at all times. But there was ALLWAYS a coffee pot sitting in the kitchen whenever a parent was home- After 9 YO, I knew how to grind beans in a hand cranked mill and load that sucker up, too.

East coast (NY) parents in a largely Scandinavian immigrant descended area of the Midwest. My dad used to joke that the Scandinavians had bought 1lb. of coffee at the East coast port they arrived at, and had then used the same batch of grounds over and over for the whole covered wagon journey to the midwest- And that their "dishwater" coffee preference arose from learning to like it at that strength on the immigrant trail!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Hellafunt
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 17:49

interesting trend, when i was in high school(1984-1988), we had a soda machine in the building. I remember when there was the push to banish soft drinks from public school campuses. now, no soda at home. whats next?
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 18:40

My area is West Palm Beach florida, I do not feel conferrable discussing my specific school for obvious reasons but its a middle school. I laugh daily at the big sign out side my school "drug free school", what about medicine? They are by definition drugs. I just wish that the school system's "WAR ON DRUGS" (thats how they write it on the patch for clothing, papers, posters and other means of propaganda) would be a bit more specific, they are working against the abuse of substances, a reasonable cause, but thats not what they say. Claiming voluminous amounts of substances evil. This back fires on people like us amateur science enthusiasts. Drug busts, arrest and other events become a real fear for us.

We are chemists , we bring light to the darkness. Knowledge to ignorant, excitement to the depressed and unknowing. we bring crops to broken fields and water to the desert. Where there is fear we bring curiosity.

SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 18:44

The actual letter failed to copy so here it is.

These drinks are designed to give the consumer a burst of energy because of their high levels of caffeine and/or sugar.
These drinks include but are not limited to Red Bull, Vault, Power-aide, Monster, Bawls, Coffee drinks, Sodas, Kool-Aide or other sugary beverages. Energy drinks cause seizures due to the "crash" following the energy high that occurs after consumption. These drinks DO NOT provide the proper nutrition children need but instead create negative side effects due to over stimulation of the child’s system caused during the “high” brought on by the caffeine and other ingredients.
These high caffeine and high sugar drinks are not a suitable substitute for a proper breakfast. Students should also be getting to bed at a reasonable time so that these drinks are not being used to “wake up”. Needless to say, our students who are allowed by their parents to have these drinks are experiencing an initial caffeine high (which is making them hyper in class and causing classroom disruptions which they then blame on the energy drink) and then a “crash” sensation (which is causing them to be drowsy and sleepy). These negative side effects are affecting their classroom behavior, class participation and ultimately their grades and success. It is also affecting the learning environment for their classmates. This is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

Please do not allow your child to drink these or any other beverages with high levels of caffeine or sugar. This applies whether they are in the original container or camouflaged in another drink bottle. Please talk with your child and explain that these drinks are not suitable and are not allowed prior to or during school. Any student caught with one of these drinks will be issued a discipline referral and will be brought to my office for disciplinary action.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation in helping to resolve this issue and prevent any problems from occurring in the future.

This is from a public school...

[Edited on 19-12-2014 by SimpleChemist-238]

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 11:53

I had to laugh at their description of caffeine (discontinuance syndrome causing seizures is hardly common), but it is particularly worrisome they appear to be asking for parents to blanket ban.

Caffeine can be considered a drug of abuse, as it is reinforcing, and mild addiction/withdrawal is common. There may be some developmental issues in children at the high dose phase, but I think your school needs to contact a professional such as a pharmacologist or perhaps a pharmacist before making decisions so that they can be informed on such issues. Unfortunately, that would be exceedingly rare, and as a middle school student, I doubt you can get someone to assist you. Perhaps if you have job fairs or career day or whatever.

It took until 1996 for a single case study of seizure during withdrawal to present, and it was not an average patient. Funct Neurol. 1996 Nov-Dec;11(6):333-7.
You're more likely to get a seizure with a toxic dose, which is also pretty rare unless you get an idiot almost trying to kill themself.
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 12:26

On the other hand you could just ignore any mentions of caffiene in the letter to reveal the hidden message:

"Parents, your kids are arrogant shits and we've had our metaphorical balls cut off since they outlawwed the cane. How bout doing your damn job for a change?

P.S. Here's a scapegoat so we don't get roasted by the media."

[Edited on 19-12-2014 by Mesa]

Go To Top