Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 8-4-2006 at 23:08
A state of the art update

Houston , Tranquility Base here ....the laptop has landed :D

http://www.thelenovotapes.com/kent.html

Have you been to the holodeck lately ?

http://www.thelenovotapes.com/skywalker.html

Let's have a cup of coffee and talk about force field theory .

http://www.thelenovotapes.com/wayne.html
Marvin
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 14:25

You should have posted this on the 1st. Impressive.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 15:34

April Fool ? Not hardly ....these are standard issue
laptops for raptor pilots . A little something extra
from area 51 :D
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 19:04

But it all is a fake. Look at the falling notebook where the fall is stopped with not nearly enough impulse thrust to stop such momentum. Also consider that science as yet can find no way to produce a real time moving 3D hologram as is depicted in another of the movies.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 19:51

Not enough information is given for me to arrive at any conclusion about the authenticity of the illustrated
laptop " lander " , to my visual perception . It looks
a bit " off " .....but well done :D
The idea is certainly valid and the solution is humorous .

What " science " has found or not yet found a way to do
is a highly qualified AFAIK sort of expression .

Once there was a time when some would say
there is no way known to science to actually
" make " fire .... it is well known that men must wait
for lightning to strike a tree and then carry embers
in a firepot , never letting the fire go out at camp
or on the trail . For these , a butane lighter would
look " fake " or magic .....but not real .

Your science may not be as advanced as someone elses , so what you say is a problem for us may not be any problem for " them " :D

[Edited on 10-4-2006 by Rosco Bodine]
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 21:27

This one is easy to answer. The best scientists in the world still cannot make a moving real time three dimensional hologram, and the scientific reasons why this cannot be done is clear and simple to understand to one who has taken the time to look into it. So it is still not possible for anyone as far as I know, as far as they know, as far as anyone on earth knows. Simply put the money potential is so high such an advancement would be front page news and would be to market making millions as quickly as possible. Therefore your argument is entirely moot at this point in time, the movies are a fake. Not to mention viewing a similar real world working application of the notebook rockets, to move similar mass without nearly the same momentum as catching it before it hits the floor, the NASA experiment clearly uses terrific impulse in the jets in rapid pulses to hold something lighter, not falling but floating. Just extrapolate from there as to the energy needed in a rocket to catch the fall of the notebook at the time it does in the movie in the link.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 23:23

You seem to be stuck on three dimensional imaging difficulty as somehow definitivive about an argument when there is only a two dimensional image presented for you to refute . Two dimensional free air imaging is present technology commercially available and in use ,
even with virtual touchpads which are also projections .

It seems you are also stuck on the idea that rockets are somehow the only possible thrusters which could be in use here , or that the performance represented is beyond any sort of reaction jet capability which it is not .
You can hear the sound of the " jets " begin when the laptop is only a foot or so into its initial freefall , and what you are seeing there is possibly 40 year old lander probe technology .
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 01:06

I'm sorry to tell you that, but when it comes to "advanced (pseudo)science, you rock. You are not an anonymous for the explosives knowledge, hence I admire you.

There are things that are too good to exist, like the projected holograms. Maybe a better study in this domain will light you up. There is indeed an "oxygen projector" but it's actually 2 D; that is, a transparent screen based of the difference of the densities between air and pure O2.

The movies are very good fakes; good enough to fool many people. Have you ever opened up a laptop? There is really not enough place for rockets and such. Do a math yourself how much thrust force you need to stop a falling 2 kg slab, stabilize it and land it safely on the floor from a freefall. What propulsion do they use? etc etc etc.

Crackpot science it's called. Now they "have it on tape!!1!!".
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:29

Yeah it's a spoof but it is a well rendered spoof :D
Marvin
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 11:32

Its fairly clearly a spoof, from the 'drama student' wording on the site to the camera movement preempting movements of the flying laptop (suggesting either the camera operator is psychic, or that the flying part looking very similar to Earth: Final conflict flying, was added after it was filmed) to the optical impossability of the laptop 3D hologram, begging the question if you have the ability to project a 3D hologram from a tiny projector on top - why does your laptop need a screen?

Whats more interesting is why.

I'm wondering if this site is an example of something called 'viral advertising'.

There is nothing to link the company directly, but it highlights a specific manufacturer, Lenovo, with a specific product, the laptop, and is designed to give the impression these people put technology far more advanced than anyone else has into their laptops, even if the ones we finally buy can't fly.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 12:23

It's quite clearly CG rendered, the perspective is off ever so slightly in a few and you can still tell the mathematically perfect, calculated 3D objects from the real, filmed scene. Also, things don't add up on the rocket-protected laptop; even if it were hollowed out and filled with propellant, it doesn't seem to be using enough of it to create the acceleration seen. The jets are also awfully small to counter such an acceleration.

Marv: I don't see why the cameraman couldn't have seen it before and expected the result. It seems doubtful you'd get first-test footage for an ad, anyway.

Bab: don't feel bad. Roscoe seems to be good with chemistry and explosives, but I think you'd agree he should stick only to what he knows.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 13:12

Hey , I needed a bit of comic relief from the frustration
and fatigue of some boring and expensive but necessary PSC motor performance evaluations I have been doing in connection with my magnetic stirrer prototype .

This video actually impressed me as a bit of subterfuge
advertising by the company responsible .....a publicity stunt . But it isn't something clever you see every day .

Actually I could go along with it being plausible up to
the point of the spilled coffee countermeasure .....
at which point I laughed out loud and said yeah sure ,
riiiight ......all the time . Need a sonic shower curtain ,
they will sell you one too for when you give this dog
a bath :D
IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 13:53

The coffee protector is possible, imagine using ultrasonics to detect anything coming at the laptop and some kind of quick moving cover or shield.

Hopefully not while my fingers are on the keyboard!
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 15:44

>imagine using ultrasonics to detect anything coming at the laptop

Your fingers come toward it and--bam, black screen of death.

Seriously, though, I expect you'd get false positives often enough with a new technology like this (assuming it's real) that this would get rather annoying.

The waterproofing part is not so far fetched. Standard issue Navy laptops (the kind my friend has, anyway) come with rubber-covered keyboards. Not to mention the fact that some of these things are bulletproof...

IrC
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 15:59

Obviously it would have to know the difference between organic members and other body parts, and falling coffee or bullets. Of course this means it would be unlikely to defend against creeping alien slime creatures, oozing blobs and other such lifeforms.

Go To Top