Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury......Reacting?
lacrima97
Hazard to Self

Mood: experimental

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 16:53
Mercury......Reacting?

I have about 30g of mercury in this little 30ml boston round glass bottle. It's been in there for about 4 months with no problem, but recently I noticed a slight tint around the bottom. I inspected this and the glass (that is in contact with the Hg) is turning a slight green color. When I looked at the mercury the next day, there was a reddish orangish oil slick type thing on top of the mercury.

Is it possible that the Hg is reacting with the oxygen in the glass forming.......Mercuric Oxide?

[Edited on 4/12/2006 by lacrima97]
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 04:09

I had this exact effect with my mercury too.
However, I distilled the mercury myself from dental amalgams, therefore it contained a very small amount of tin and other metals.
I figured that the tin would have oxidised, and formed the yellow layer. The tin oxide most likely wasn't pure also, so it could have any color except white.

Maybe yours is a bit impure, too, since I have some analytical grade Hg, and this does NOT form the yellow stuff!

Then I washed my mercury with 10% HNO3 (very vigorous shaking in a closed flask to divide the Hg into very small droplets), to remove less noble metals (mercury is quite noble, and if any Hg dissolves, it would plate right out again as it meets any tin). I now have it in a similar flask as you. Let's see what this does.

To dry the mercury, I've let it drip through a filter with a small hole at the bottom. This removes mechanical contaminations as well as water. The mercury was sucked up from under the HNO3 layer with a pipette and put into the filter portion by portion.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
lacrima97
Hazard to Self

Mood: experimental

[*] posted on 12-4-2006 at 04:48

Uh oh....When I first got the mercury, it was in a vial with an either Sn or Al cap. It reacted with this cap and there were little pieces of amalgam floating around. I attempted to separate this from the mercury by sucking the Hg up in a very small syringe, but it seems that some of this Sn or Al has remained....So I thank you.
_cyan_89
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2006 at 13:03

How/where did you get dental amalgames?is it possible to isolate mercury from the HgS in colors?:)

Go To Top