Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about chloroform
Punk
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2006 at 00:45
Question about chloroform

Why is it than when I wash chloroform with distilled water the chloroform takes on a white cloudy color and when useing the chloroform to extract freebases from nasty ph 14 fluids the cloroform holding the desired freebase looks crystal clear but when the base is removed it turns cloudy again?

Maybe its just a little bit o water in it and durring the a/b extraction and the basic fluid pulls out the water?
Maja
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2006 at 01:15

Yes, It takes cloudy appearance when you mix it with water. It absorbs some. If you ever made nitroglycerine, it's white and cloudy till you dry it in desiccator. Actually I don't know why it's clear when holding freebases ... Maybe other member knows..

[Edited on 15-4-2006 by Maja]
lacrima97
Hazard to Self

Mood: experimental

[*] posted on 17-4-2006 at 04:55

When you mix it with water, It will get cloudy, but after a few days, the cloudy shit will form a very thin later between the CHCl3 and water. If you shake the glass, the cloudy shit will go back into the chloroform.

I believe that this cloudy shit is impurities. I have rid the chloroform of alot of it by running it a few times through a seperatory funnel, after it has been sitting for at least 3 days. After it comes out, I shake it up really well with water again, and then let it set in a sep funnel for several days, then extract it again.

Go To Top