Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question About Electrochem Technique/Apparatus
azoth
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 13:21
Question About Electrochem Technique/Apparatus

I am thinking, well more than just thinkingl, about trying some various electrochemistry experiments, and I've gotten most of the pieces i need together to do them.

the one thing i'm having problems with is finding a suitable cooling coil, that i can use in tandem with a circulating water pump.

i know a glass coil, with the right dimensions. would be ideal, but this could run in the hundreds of dollars,

i want to fit up to 1/2" electrodes between the coils, and don't want the coils to have a larger total diameter more than 2" so that it can fit in the cell.

does any electrochemists out there have any tips on DIY coil tubing materials or whatnot, to make an effective recirculated water cooling 'coil'?

im fresh out of ideas.

oh and 5 or so revolutions or 'coils' would be sufficient for the cooling needs i have planned.
Thanks!
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 13:34

Copper? Stainless? No good for reactive solutions of course. How about polypropylene tubing? Plastic isn't real conductive yeah, but you can look for thin tubing.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
azoth
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 13:49

i dont' think copper of stainless steel would work too well, since they are conductive.

i've thought of the tygon tubing route, but some of the cathode/anode solutions will be fairly concentrated acids and stuff, and i've soaked a few in them and they seem to 'leach' over time,
although i suppose i could make a bunch of disposable tygon coils, but its a bitch to try and make them sturdy like glass would be.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 14:07

Just use an ice water bath for the cell, adding more ice water when necessary. I do a fair bit of electrochem, and when something needs cooling this is what I do.

azoth
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 14:47

yeah. but it's a cell within a cell.

so an ice bath really won't work very efficiently as far as heat/cooling transfer.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 19-4-2006 at 16:04

If your inner cell is a thin walled glass beaker, you should get plenty of heat transfer to a waterbath. You can then pump your water bath water through another external cooling system to keep the bath temp down.

Heat transfer out of your electrolyte will also improve if it is stirred.

E-cell cooler.GIF - 8kB

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings

Go To Top