Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sublimation
enkephalin
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-4-2006 at 07:53
Sublimation

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the vacuum sublimation purification of gram quantities of organic materials. More specifically what kind of apparatus works well, other than a dedicated sublimator. I had wanted to use a coldfinger condenser inside a side-arm filter tube, but i cant find one that has a socket connection. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 20-4-2006 at 10:11

I have used a 20mm test tube with side arm equipped with a 13mm test tube as cold finger. The smaller tube is sealed to the larger one with a rubber adapter. I bought the adapter from a scientific supply house. But IIRC it was hard to find and a bit expensive.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 20-4-2006 at 12:29

I sublimated napthalene or camphor, I forget which, in a uni organic lab. I believe I used a 100mL RBF with ice water suspended over a 250mL beaker in which the compound was placed. Glass wool was stuffed inbetween the flask and beaker for a better seal.

leu
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-4-2006 at 17:18

Quote:
I bought the adapter from a scientific supply house. But IIRC it was hard to find and a bit expensive.

One can freeze a rubber stopper and then drill it out using conventional drills and a drill press instead of paying such prices :cool:

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond

Go To Top