Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The Smell of Iron, Copper
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 08:15

It's also possible for people who consume alcoholic beverages frequently, or in great quantities, to have acetone like breath.

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 03:03

This could cause the smell of metals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oct-1-en-3-one
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2011 at 05:07

twice i have been with people that leave the whole room smelling like strong B complex vitamins.both times the persons color seemed yellowish. i thought the smell emitted from their breath but it also came from out their nostrils. i quickly thought of liver disease as in psorosis or hepatitis but medicines also can cause wierd smells and diabetes also cause liver and kidney damage. hygiene had not much to do with it but it didnt matter because i still reacted as if they had the plague.
I Like Dots
Hazard to Self

Mood: frisky

[*] posted on 24-12-2013 at 15:36

Tonight I grabbed my dehydrated copper sulfate to color the camp fire. It was stored in a plastic water bottle. When I opened it, I was greeted with a very strange smell, reminiscent of a organic solvent, but I can't put my thumb on it.

could the copper sulfate have reacted with the water bottle?

edit- I remember pouring the Copper Sulfate in the bottle when it was still hot.

[Edited on 25-12-2013 by I Like Dots]

Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 29-12-2013 at 09:02

As far as I have supposed it is the iron itself that contains free sulfurous or phosphorous particles that grant this smell. The particles are then dispersed and hardly separable when metallic iron is dissolve. As a sample, shiny bars of iron had been cleaned free from rust by immersing in a citric/ benzoic acid aqueous solution and then washed with lime water, the shiny iron smelled just as solutions of iron sulphate, and on accounting for the washes its not likely that the organic compounds played a significant role with it.
Random
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2013 at 09:18

Actually Poppy, it's not that iron has a smell but it's the smell of our lipid peroxides which react with Fe ions.
Poppy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-12-2013 at 16:50

But, how simple is it, it just has been told, what if no bare hand had touched the iron piece at all?
Random
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2013 at 16:55

It could be that there is contact with them over our breath, air-nose-metal etc.. It doesn't necessarily need a touch as the smell can be noticed in very small concentrations.

Now I'm talking about metallic taste and smell as in taste of blood, there are more of these metalic type smells. One could also be phosphorus and sulphur impurities too, especially rhis can be noticed when you dissolve iron nails in HCl there is smell of H2S.

[Edited on 30-12-2013 by Random]
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-12-2013 at 17:27

I have a copper counter in my house, and it has a very characteristic smell.
I cannot describe it beyond metallic.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 18-2-2014 at 13:50

I have just found this thread so I will not open a new one. The thing is that I can very easily detect the smell of copper, particularly if I am rubbing a copper object with my fingers. Actually, when I inhale deeply with the object close to my nostrils, it is even uncomfortable. I have also noticed a different smell when I dissolve copper(II) sulfate in hot water. Just lean to the hot beaker and draw in some air and you'll get that smell. It is NOT the same smell. In fact, I believe that the latter one has something to do with the sulphur. Iron smell, copper smell, nickel smell, aluminium smell, zinc smell... they are not the same. I'm really intrigued.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
Poppy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 15:43

Okay tin smells particularly different IMO but the metallic smells are not quite distinctive.
Likewise keeping stuff on people's house certainly impregnates them with distinctive smells. Just figure a teen's room closed 24/7 while he/ she farts and eats pizza, disgusting. Pity for the old brass clock standing beside the couch.
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 09:24

Quote: Originally posted by Poppy  
Okay tin smells particularly different IMO but the metallic smells are not quite distinctive.
Likewise keeping stuff on people's house certainly impregnates them with distinctive smells. Just figure a teen's room closed 24/7 while he/ she farts and eats pizza, disgusting. Pity for the old brass clock standing beside the couch.

The smell I mentioned is found on every copper object, regardless of the location. Iron objects brushed with steel wool to expose the metal also smell particularly strong.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top