Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ICE-Advantages of N2O over O2
Cappy
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2003 at 20:32
ICE-Advantages of N2O over O2

Although not street legal, N2O is sometimes used to increase rate that fuel can be burned by supplying an additional source of oxygen. Although N2O contains a higher percentage of oxygen than air(33% vs. 21%), pure oxygen could be used. Oxygen gas contains twice as many oxygen atoms per mole of gas as N2O. Both gasses can be easily condensed for high density in storage. Both cool the intake charge significantly by evaporating, further increasing oxygen density. However, N2O is used and not O2.

I'm assuming that N2O has some practical advatage of O2, otherwise smart people would have been using O2 by now. Does N2O require less energy to free oxygen atoms for combustion? Does the formation of triple-bonded N2 release greater energy? Is N2O cheaper or safer to bottle and use?

[Edited on 4/1/2003 by Cappy]
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 31-3-2003 at 21:30

My guess would be that it has to do with the highly exothermic formation of N<sub>2</sub>.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 31-3-2003 at 21:31

QUOTE: "Both gasses can be easily condensed for high density in storage"

Well, it's not true. While the N2O can be easily liquified, O2 cannot. This is due to the critical temperature of the oxygen.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2003 at 13:29

You can't use pure oxygen in an engine.
This would cause to rapid ignition and flame front dispersion which would cause the famous "rattling" or "bumping" of an engine, because the piston head does not follow quickly enough because of it's inertia.

Secondly, the pure oxygen would severely corrode the piston in a very short time.
The N<sub>2</sub> acts as a reaction mediator because of it's relative inertia.

N<sub>2</sub> formation does not contribute to the reaction enthalpy as it's formation enthalpy is zero. I know that the bondenergy is huge, but you may not include this when calculating enthalpy.

If you would want to, you would have to calculate with the bond breaking and formation energies of every bond that participates in the reaction.

[Edited on 1-4-2003 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 24-6-2003 at 07:45

Quote:
"I'm assuming that N2O has some practical advatage of O2, otherwise smart people would have been using O2 by now. Does N2O require less energy to free oxygen atoms for combustion? Does the formation of triple-bonded N2 release greater energy? Is N2O cheaper or safer to bottle and use?"
Correct. All of those contribute.

Go To Top