[*] posted on 20-5-2006 at 18:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco Bodine
but two things that there is absolutely an
abundance of , a 500 year supply at current
consumption is coal , and * natural gas * ....two things
the US doesn't need . In fact synthtic fuel and
also ethanol production capability could fully eliminate
any energy import needs and make the US a fuel exporting country as are several others .

I say while these are all nice, invest even more resources into this. I don't wanna wait that long for ignition. It's the future. The several million tons of mineable uranium won't last all that long without breeder reactors which are just great for making weapons-grade material, given the fact that developing countries will have a tenfold increase in energy use per capita as they become developed. Heavy water, on the other hand, is enough for at least ten thousand years.

The reason the greens want sources like solar panels and wind mills is because even if you cover the whole planet with them, you couldn't produce enough energy unless progress is slowed and then halted. That's their ultimate goal. It's the most dangerous scam being forced into politics by environmentalists.

[Edited on 21-5-2006 by Quince]

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 20-5-2006 at 19:15

...Hum...

Ya know, with all this unnatural energy production (solar, you say, even over the entire solar cross-section of the Earth, is insufficient for total world requirements?), just how much hotter is the Earth going to get by pure brute force of the energy being released?

Seems bollocks to me that, in the near future, the human race will ever consume nearly that much power. Some point in the future, I suppose it could be, but I see no need of worrying THAT much.

Hmm, Earth is around 6000 km in radius. The surface area is 4*pi*r^2, but the solar cross section is of course a circle, so area is 1.26 x 10^8 square kilometers. Solar radiation is quoted as around 1kW/m^2 = 1GW/km^2 so that's around 1.26 x 10^8 GW, compared to the estimated present consumption of 6.3 x 10^3 GW. Even if the population burgeoned to 10x the present population and industry and commerce 10 times on top of that, we'd only be up to the hundreds of petawatts, still nowhere near exawatts or more.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Quince
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-5-2006 at 07:31

Er, don't forget the horrid inefficiency of solar panels. And where the fuck will you put all the solar panels? Replace roads and roofs with them, OK, that's a small fraction of land area still. You'd have to destroy wilderness. Which the greens, of course, won't allow. So under the greens plan, only a tiny fraction of that solar energy can be captured. Maybe double that fraction using wind, geothermal, and others; still it will be too little.

[Edited on 21-5-2006 by Quince]

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 21-5-2006 at 08:16

I don't really care, you said "cover the whole world". Live with it. :P

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 21-5-2006 at 08:30

It might just work if we also have each illegal coming across the border carry a solar panel.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2006 at 08:34

I recall reading somewhere that the total energy output of a solar panel during it's life equalled the amount of energy it took to make the thing. It doesn't seem true at first glance. Any input?
Quince
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2006 at 08:45

Solar panels are one of the crappiest inventions ever.

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 29-5-2006 at 16:56

No, solar panels are great inventions when used in the right context.
Mr Wiz, I can confirm this, I heard the same from a certified engineer.... mind though what solar panels are used. The energy required doesn't necessarily equate with the amount of CO2 produced.
Nonetheless I wonder how relevant such insights are, with all the improvements in technology.

Anyway this is a mock hate thread of towelheads so I better not delve further into the cons and pros of solar panels....

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Quince
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 07:27

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/06/03/canada.terror/

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 17:02
Alleged terrorism busts in Canada & UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Quince
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/06/03/canada.terror/

Oh yes, I saw in the BBC TV news last night NZ time the report from Canada about 17 Muslim men in the Toronto area being arrested on terrorism charges - allegedly conspiracy to cause explosion or arson - by the Royal Canadian Mounted Pigs, Canada's red-coated Gestapo. They wee alleged to have obtained 3 tonnes of NH4NO3 and explosive devicex, but NO such items were produced for the BBC's cameras.
Similarly, at close to the same time, and also covered on the BBC TV news last night, was the report about two men, Muslims from Bangladesh, being arrested by the London Metropolitan Pigs in a terrace townhouse in London, England, for conspirtacy to cause explosions - but, again, NO explosive chemicals or bomb-making equipment was found!
Both instances were probably hoaxes, devised by unpopular governments to use the "war/whore on terrorism" as a means to gain popularity and votes. In the same way as Bu$h deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen in 2001, to obscure his ruinous economic and fiscal policies and distract attention away from the stolen 2001 election and obtain electoral support he did not deserve.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 12:36

Quote:
I hate to break it to you Sandmeyer, but we haven't been beaten in Iraq. As to the deaths in Iraq of US soldiers, I'll let history judge. We lose more US citizens each month in traffic accidents than we have lost in the total war in Iraq. The last year for traffic stats I have:
http://www.madd.org/stats/10212
This shows 42K dead or about 2500 per month. This is the real danger Americans face. There won't be any mass retreat in Iraq so don't dig up your Saddam Hussein pictures yet.

Ok, so the WTC attack was nivellated by one month of traffic deaths. Yet Iraq and afghanistan were a direct consequence of that. Strange to justify two multibillion dollar wars with hundredthousands of unnecessary extra casualties then, no?

[Edited on 11-6-2006 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Quince
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 18:44

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnWW
Both instances were probably hoaxes, devised by unpopular governments to use the "war/whore on terrorism" as a means to gain popularity and votes.

Are you just a troll, or you're really such a fucking paranoid cretinous imbecile?

[Edited on 12-6-2006 by Quince]

Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 20:00

Re Vulture:
Nivelated :-) I had to go look it up, even though the meaning was clear by it's usage. I only found it used in Google, no other online dictionaries. Yet my statement that the US war losses are not even in the same magnitude as accidental automobile deaths still stands true. The money spent is having a more immediate effect, as disrespectful as that sounds.

What should we do?
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 17-6-2006 at 21:06

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8260059923762628848...

Quince
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2006 at 03:38

Moore-style lowly propaganda. For those that haven't watched this yet, there are better ways to spend your time, like going to the mall to pick up girls.

[Edited on 18-6-2006 by Quince]

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 18-6-2006 at 13:00

Quote:

Re Vulture:
Nivelated :-) I had to go look it up, even though the meaning was clear by it's usage. I only found it used in Google, no other online dictionaries. Yet my statement that the US war losses are not even in the same magnitude as accidental automobile deaths still stands true. The money spent is having a more immediate effect, as disrespectful as that sounds.

What should we do?

What I'm trying to say is that if terrorism related deaths are so insignificant compared to traffic and obesity related deaths, why waste such a disproportionate amount of resources on it?

Shit happens in free countries. Want to be perfectly safe? Go live in a police state. But don't come along with bullshit like protecting freedom with police state methods, eg torture, abduction, etc.

How about pulling out of Iraq right now. So blazingly fast the insurgents will be scratching their heads in confusion.
Then they'll go on with their lives and start blowing up...start blowing up what? Once the US forces are gone everybody will have to show their true colors, instead of forming a curious amalgame, tied together by their hate for the US only.

Sure we'll see civil war. But I'd say what is going on now is already civil war. Can't get much worse.

BTW, asking "what should we do to clean up the mess" to someone who warned you your plan would go south is a little easy, don't ya think?

[Edited on 18-6-2006 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Taaie-Neuskoek
Hazard to Others

Mood: Botanical!

[*] posted on 19-6-2006 at 01:59

Quote:
The reason the greens want sources like solar panels and wind mills is because even if you cover the whole planet with them, you couldn't produce enough energy unless progress is slowed and then halted. That's their ultimate goal. It's the most dangerous scam being forced into politics by environmentalists.

Possible, but there's not only solar energy, also wind energy, tidal enery, 'bleu energy', hydropower, etc etc. Combined this could probably give maybe not all, but a large quantity of the energy we use now.
I think it was a thread started by chemoleo - why were the 390 billion (thats 39 ITER powerstations for you!) invested in some arabs on top of some black goo instead of into renewable (sp?) energy... Sure the war is good for war manufacterers and the economy, but I still think that investing in this kind of technology is better.

I hope the ITER thing is going to work, but I also hope that the use of green energy will increase. They are now making solar panels on large films, so by meter. They are aiming for a price of 5 to 10 euro per meter... That seems to go now, but slowly. I thought that the energy produced using solar panels is regained in about 6 years, while the lifespan of the things is about 20, so no worries about that.

Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
2-2-2014 at 12:42
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top