Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Aluminum powder synthesis
Cappy
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2003 at 17:12
Aluminum powder synthesis

There was enough interest in this that I thought I'd put it here. (for convenience, I am not showing aqueous compounds as ions):

2Al (s foil) + 3H2SO4 (aq) --> Al2(SO4)3 (aq) + 3H2 (g)

Al2(SO4)3 (aq) + 3Mg (s) --> 3MgSO4 (aq)+ 2Al (s powder)

You say the following reaction will occur:

Al (s powder) + H2O (l) --> Al(OH)3 (s)

If I added excess Mg, the following would occur:

Mg (s) + Al(OH)3 (s) --> Mg(OH)2 (s) + Al (s powder)

I have enough Mg to pull this off, but I'm not sure non aqueous reactants will undergo single replacement easily.

Is there a possiblity that Al(OH)3 would never form in the first place if enough Mg(OH)2 formed first and used up all of the water?

[Edited on 4/3/2003 by Cappy]
BASF
Hazard to Others

Mood: hydrophilic

[*] posted on 3-4-2003 at 05:42

I don´t think aqueous media is the way to go because the finely dispersed aluminum could not be prevented from reacting with the water to form aluminum oxides.

What about making the oxalate, then heating to the decomposition temp. in inert gas?
Eventually you get pyrophoric aluminum...

HLR

rikkitikkitavi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2003 at 08:30

you can never make pure Al from an Al-compound that contains oxygen by just heating it without a stronger reductant that than Al...

/rickard
BASF
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2003 at 09:37

Yeah, you may be right.....it was just thinking out of the stomage....i had the methods involving Fe- and Pb-oxalates for pyrophoric iron and lead in mind, but forgot considering they are more or less heavy metals.....:(

BASF
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2003 at 09:58

This thread is discussing all about making aluminum powder, especially atomized aluminum.
It seems that pyrophoric, atomized aluminum powder or weapons-grade aluminum is fairly hard to do.
Maybe there is a chance to make flake aluminum, which is also very reactive....

http://yarchive.net/explosives/aluminum_powder.html

Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 7-4-2003 at 23:31

good link BASF!

cost me a few hours I would have had to spend with urgent work.

:(:(:(
;);););););)
ORG :D
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 24-6-2003 at 07:42
Al powder

If you need Al powder for thermite mixtures or burning, you could just file it from a Coke can (and use a sieve to separate the finer component if you want to, since Al powder made with that method comes in all sizes. Grainy powder would do for thermite mixtures).
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 24-6-2003 at 08:01

That's going to take ALOT of time.
Electric grinding isn't an option because you would have lots of dust floating around while getting a red hot coke can due to friction.

Not my idea of being safe...

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 24-6-2003 at 08:17

If you want to have Aluminum powder by means of a single-replacement reaction, why not have the byproduct be solube in water, thus facilitating the extraction of the Aluminum? Unfortunately, I can't think of any ion that would make this possible :(.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 24-6-2003 at 08:56

2AlCl3 + 3Mg ----> 3MgCl2 + 2Al?

However, this can not be done in water, as the AlCl3 would hydrolize. Hmm, pure liquid (it's a liquid at room temp IIRC) AlCl3 and simply adding Mg? MgCl2 solidifies and shifts the equilibrium to the right?

I can't say why, but my intuition says this wont work...:(

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 24-6-2003 at 09:43

I think AlCl<sub>3</sub> melts just below 200C. :)

Replacement reactions will typically yield metal crystals that are far larger than the particles found in a powder.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
Iv4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-6-2003 at 02:58

IMHO the best way of making fine AL powder is taking some foil and adding liquid nitrogen(or something to that extent)and using a mortat and pestle on it.Though that's probably not very convenient(though a cryo cooler could be made from the materials in extremely condducitve thread and that might be able to pull it).

I've heard of water and foil in blenders.Suposedly the water in it keeps the heat acceptable.Paranoid as it may seem I'm worried it might liberate hydrogen and oxygen.
Twed The Terrible
Harmless

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-7-2003 at 11:01

Go get some metallic paint. The sort that dries with the shiny metal in it, like that on some cars. Guess what the shiny metal is....Al! Wehey!

Now, add a generous amount of solvent (I use acetone) to the paint to thin it down to a watery thickness. Filter the mixture to remove the Al particles. Wash them, dry them, and do what you want with them. Simple.

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by Twed The Terrible]

Pain is only weakness leaving the body
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 2-7-2003 at 14:09

I read a great article on making magnallium powder where you alloy aluminum and magesium in a 1:1 ratio. It's brittle even at room temperature, so you can just use a hammer to break it up.

GZAust
Harmless

Mood: totalled

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 06:45

Where are you thinking of getting the 3 mol of Mg? Sharpeners?

50 or so grams of Al isnt a lot for two steps and all that Mg, but I'm all for the chemically atomised product! very cool

Doesnt most foil have a chrome coating on one side? In aus they do.

Iv4 have you tried lateral thinking puzzles? - You'd be great at them :)

I wonder if CO2 would do it? But I don't know how to freeze CO2, placing the compressed gas in the freezer? :D
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 12-7-2003 at 14:49

How to freeze CO2

open the valve

:D

Irgendwas is ja immer
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2003 at 04:06

Under optimum conditions making solid CO2 by expanding from a room temp cylinder wastes about 75% of the CO2. Putting the cyclinder in the freezer would probably help a bit but buying dry ice directly from icecream sellers is probably the way to go here.

I'm unsure if it would be cold enough to make the aluminium brittle, but it shouldnt be used anyway. CO2 is not inert to aluminium powder and a mix of aluminium dust and CO2 gas is flammable/explosion hazard.

Ballmilling paint grade aluminium or aluminium foil is supposed to work quite well at room temp dispite mallability. Inert gas of some sort would be a must there I think, and the result could be pyrophoric. Not tried this yet, the paint grade Al Ive been able to buy here is rather course.
Mongo Blongo
Unregistered

[*] posted on 13-7-2003 at 04:54

You can buy Al powder from Fibreglass suppliers. Does anyone know how fine /mesh the powder is? (I have yet to get some)
You can also get Brass,Bronze,Copper and Nickel powders.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 13-7-2003 at 09:18

Marvin: Yes it´s a waste but dryice isn´t easily available where I live but CO2 bottles are and they are asscheap here. Get a bottle with two adaptors where one is for taking out liquid CO2. Filling the liquid CO2 in a thermoinsulated bucket makes it freeze instantly by the cooling invovlved in the expansion and phasechange on the surface and the special properties of CO2 which goes from solid to gaseous state directly. The liquid state in the bottle resembles a kind of denaturated solid phase. The losses are not so big this way.

Very important and right on the point is that CO2 cannot be regarded as inert gas for chemistry. Argon is most favorable (pure no welding mixture) and nitrogen as cheaper substitute in most cases sufficices.

Mongo Blongo, might you hint me to the fibreglasssupplier carrying the metal-dust. Mine doesn´t. :(

Irgendwas is ja immer
Mongo Blongo
Unregistered

[*] posted on 14-7-2003 at 06:05

Cheak your email. ;)
AngelEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: Better than it used to be.

[*] posted on 14-7-2003 at 06:58

I have tried the fibreglass (cold-casting) metal powder additive. It's definitely Al, but it seems very difficult to get it to any usable state. Rinsing with acetone seemed to do nothing - in it's present state it can be ground up with NaNO3 and it still won't ignite. You'll get the occasional spark coming off it...but that's all. No good for flash.
I have heard it said that you can put in the oven for a few hours at 200 Celsius (or thereabouts) to remove the coating on the Al, but I have not tried this. Anyone confirm if it works or not? Anyone confirm if there even is a coating, and it's not just mixed with an inert 'filler' to pad it out?

If you're looking for this stuff just do a search for fibreglass, resin, metal powder and the metal of your choice - you can get copper, bronze, brass, aluminium etc. No Mg though :-(

I have a few pots of various metal powders but no way to turn it into a really useful product.
BASF
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-7-2003 at 02:32
Another weird idea...

Melt aluminum with an inorganic salt(or a combination of different ones) having the same specific density and melting point.
The hope is this would then mix thoroughly and the inorganic salts could then lateron be washed out by means of a suitable organic solvent.
(It is understood that the number of inorganic salts soluble in organic solvents is quite small.)

I know this would afford a LOT of experimenting and recherche, but who knows...

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 29-7-2003 at 03:10

I have heard it said that you can put in the oven for a few hours at 200 Celsius

Even if it did work in removing the coating, you'll be reinforcing the oxide layer on the particles. You'll be left with 80% Al and 20% Al2O3 layer on the outside which makes the particles very unreactive.

Any means to remove the oxide layer attack the aluminium as well.

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 16-10-2003 at 12:05
Aluminium powder grades

although it's slightly off topic, does anyone have information on the different grades of Al powder?
For instance, there are the 'mesh' grades, which come in 200, 400, 600 etc. What does this stand for? 200 micrometer particles?
Also, then there are varietes like dark German Al powder (dendritic?) , or American etc - what are those? Especially the dendritic version, sounds to me like some nano-crystallised form - how the hell is that made??

PS I am sure a number of people have been wondering the same... so hail to my bravery for askign this... or flaming me for asking something as seemingly trivial? ;)

[Edited on 16-10-2003 by chemoleo]
blip
Hazard to Others

Mood: absorbed

[*] posted on 16-10-2003 at 15:14

This is the closest thing I could find, I think this page was mentioned here: http://www.fisher.co.uk/techzone/tables/chemicals1.htm#Sieve...

I've gotten into the habit of collecting useful links and saving them into text files for future reference, sometimes it really helps.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top