Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Aluminum powder synthesis
nodrog19
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2008 at 20:53

oops, it was silicon.
"Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil is 98.5% aluminum. The balance is primarily iron and silicon. These are added to give the strength and puncture resistance obtained only in the alloy used in Reynolds household foil."
National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 01:57

Have a look at this! Production of Al powder down to less than 100 nanometers, the best a mill could do is maybe 5000 nanometers! And the best part is it is all done in an OTC liquid phase solvent (toluene).

http://www.google.com/patents?id=koIYAAAAEBAJ&printsec=a...

And here's a patent on preparation of the required aluminum hydride:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Pf0FAAAAEBAJ&printsec=a...

The problem is getting the alkali/alkaline hydride... I think most everything else involved is not too hard to find or synth. Maybe buy sodium (>$50/mol) and react w/ hydrogen? Ugh that sounds like a pain in the ass, there must be an easier way?

Hmm now I can't stop thinking about all the things I would love to try with that super fine Al :P
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 11:51

If you are looking for mesh filters:
www.inoxia.co.uk sells em quite cheap (in UK)
cant you just put Al foil in a blender then ballmill for 3-4 days then filter it to seperate it?
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 12:00

I remember reading once on the side of a kitchen foil box that it listed ingredients and among them were manganese, iron, and various others I can not recall. I assumed that these metals in the alloy were what the grey powder was that resulted from dissolving aluminium foil in NaOH... I suppose for pyro these impurities don't matter, but if you are using the aluminium for something more demanding...? I have never been able to find a box with the ingredients listed again (Although I think it may have been Waitrose brand in UK).

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 12:20

manganese and iron :O that doesnt sound good :P
i had better stick to a differen source of Al for powder then :P
You can buy it from metal work shops for casting, i may have to look into that option...
then grinding with a metal grinder and channeling the powder into a bow to collect ect...
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 12:52

Perhaps it would be interesting if somebody with the time and resources could analyse aluminium foil for the % composition of Mg, Mn, Fe, etc and post the details, perhaps comparing to Al of LR grade available cheaply from many lab suppliers (in a powder although not usually the extremely fine dark grades)

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 17:32

I have made common alum ( potassium aluminium sulphate dodecahydrate ) from a variety of aluminium sources.
The aluminium is dissolved in excess potassium hydroxide solution, filtered and then neutralised with sulphuric acid.
I have used sheet metal from cans, foil and LR grade aluminium powder and I have always had a fine black precipitate left in the alkaline solution.
As a guesstimate I would say that it is a few percent on average, some of it is magnetic while other particles are not.

Very pure aluminum metal is not cheap!
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 18:06

there are some 22,000 known Al alloys/compositions/treatments and counting, something made of aluminum is rarely 100% aluminum. Foil esp. so, generally containing the above mentioned stuff. Luckily here in Australia the land of the free and rational it is illegal to sell Al powder but everyone seems to sell it! Liquid N2 is cheap ($59.00 for 1-60L, price same regardless of how much lol, my dewar is only 15L but i'm always tempted to order 60L and make a huge batch o super-fino ice-cream) Can you pulverize al to powder after cooling it?

Actually maybe there are 22,000 types of thread profiles, and 2200 known al alloys, i always mix those two up. The alloys one is from a Mat Scientist speciailising in Al and Mg alloys, he's been researching al alloys for 40 years so i'd believe that one, the thread number is from my father, and it made up part of his rant as to why the British are stupid, he would quote the number of thread the british had developed, so that maybe wrong, he's german and prone to exaggerate.

Overall this post provided very little real help or information, apologies for that!!

National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 10-9-2008 at 18:39

Quote:

cant you just put Al foil in a blender then ballmill for 3-4 days then filter it to seperate it?

Sure you can... this has been discussed time and time again. No one will ever get aluminum powder out of a mill that is anywhere near the reactivity and power of precipitated 100 nanometer Al (not to mention an amateur mill!). That is why I think it would be better to work on finding a way to semi economically produce a precipitated Al powder rather than trying to adapt/improve a process that has already been optimized to its full potential (milling). Just my opinion.

What are you worried about a % or two of iron? You realize there would probably be at least that much added by milling in with steel media? And BTW there is no need to pregrind the foil prior to ball milling, just tear it in strips. Let the mill do the work..

Also, unless you use a very low ratio of Al:steel media (eg <1:20) you will probably get a pretty low quality product. The problem with this is that it required a very large mill to produce much Al powder at once. For example a 5 gallon mill filled with 100 pounds of 5/8" steel media might give you at most 5 pounds of 50-200 mesh powder after a few days of milling. Then you have to separate that 100 pounds of steel out...

[Edited on 10-9-2008 by 497]
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-9-2008 at 23:05

I have perhaps 30lbs of railroad themite welding material its utilized by RR track crews using forms to weld the ends of the ribbon type rails, filling with the thermite comp and igniting the thermite, forms apparently helping contain the heat. The welding thermite appears to consist of black Iron oxides small lumps of some type of nonmagnetic alloy/flux? material and of course a large % of coarse AL.Seperating the AL/Iron is relativelty straigtforward w/magnets but time consuming as it requires several passes with magnet to ensure Iron partcles arent included in the AL powder, the larger(nonmagnetc) golden hue globles of very hard flux/steel alloy ?material are removed by hand so even at that point of seperation its a time consuming process.For what I woud put at 100-150 mesh sperical being my guess usng a low powered magnifyng glass and 'feel'.
Cetainly not a pyro grade as it is but what other possibilitys could one see for this material? i hate to simply trash this much
thermite based welding material given the flaked black Iron oxide/AL content material that cost $0.Rather than a ball mill has anyone tried a vibratory relading case cleaner with steel shot/etc as the AL reducing agent? The vibratory reloading case prep machines are intended to operate for extended periods if needed .
Assuming this material turns out to be 100-150mesh sperical AL as is would it be suitable as is fuel for small charges (4-5 kilos) Binarys etc 25/75- AL powder as fuel/ appropriate oxidizer and substantial booster
w/o further reducing w/ball mill or eqiuvalent?The Reducing experient wouldnt cost much as the vibratory case cleaner is on hand as is the partialy reduced AL powder.Ball Bearings of a suitable size could also quite likely be scrounged but for curiosity sake if anyone thinks this is viable what size steel bearings would you use?Bearings are all that are required
to answer the question unless someone has tried it before and can either confirm success or save me some time not proceeding,though a couple doubts would'nt dissuade.:) Any thoughts -suggestions as to reducing AL other possibilitys for material much appreciated However.

[Edited on 14-9-2008 by grndpndr]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top