Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Azobisisobutyronitrile synthesis
=SkyNET=
Hazard to Self

Mood: Randy baby :P

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 11:07
Azobisisobutyronitrile synthesis

I've looked for a way to make this, but i've only been getting info on polymers.

I'd like to use it as a nitrogen source. Unless someone can suggest a better one.

Chloronitropropane+NaCN>Diazo? Then theres the problem of chloronitropropane. I dont think I can afford to buy either.

[Edited on 11-5-2006 by =SkyNET=]
Frankenshtein
Harmless

Mood: oligomerized

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 05:54

I searched this compound before asking questions and didnt find much. Here's a synthesis. I dug for the cited text but it is a rare and extremely expensive hardcover book written in German, I believe some of this series of text were digitized but this synth is from before that time, IIRC.

Someone might find better info from a patent as this compound is used much in foam somethings.

This is a screenshot from the paper cited by wikipedia's page on the compound.

Essentially, acetone cyanohydrin and hydrazine, then oxidize with Chlorine, removing two hydrogens to receive the product with a cloud of HCl.

Edit: I'm aware this post is 14 years old. But now the search will provide info on this compound.

Acetone cyanohydrin is made from sodium cyanide or potassium cyanide, combined with acetone. Ah here's the paper I recall, with multiple pathways. However, theyre all the same essentially, in that there's no avoiding cyanides. Obviously liquid HCN is harder to handle than NaCN or KCN.

Screenshot_20200919-093015_Adobe Acrobat.jpg - 339kB

[Edited on 19-9-2020 by Frankenshtein]

[Edited on 19-9-2020 by Frankenshtein]
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2020 at 08:45

I am pretty sure that there is a preparation of this compound on the SM site. Try the search engine.

Ah yes 30 seconds and here we are:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10240#...

[Edited on 19-9-2020 by Boffis]

Go To Top