Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plagiarism
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

thumbdown.gif posted on 5-6-2002 at 09:48
Plagiarism

Recently, a new E&W Forum member "Vegeta" has been taking information either verbatim or slightly altered from this forum and posting it on the E&W Forum without crediting his source. When Pu 239 Stuchtiger tried to give credit to Madscientist on this forum, Megalomania censored him and accused him of trying to "steal" his members by posting a link to this site. The E&W Forum also had a massive rearrangement last night so that it now has new forum sections including "Chemicals, Apparatus, and Equipment" - sound familiar? It is also worth noting that the E&W Forum has changed so that there is no indication that posts have been edited or of who edited them. The series of events has left a bad taste in my mouth.

HOWEVER, I didn't write just to gripe about what's happening on the E&W Forum. This series of incidents has made me far more aware of how important it is to cite sources. It is unthinkable to build on another researcher's work without giving credit in the published scientific world. Online, people pretty much share any information they come across. The lack of citations can make it hard to verify someone's claims without painstaking research in the library or laboratory. It also makes it harder to find related information if one wishes to continue exploring a topical area.

Therefore, I am going to try to hold myself to a higher standard in the future, and I hope that others might follow. I am going to try to credit published articles, books, and even web pages whenever it is appropriate. The authors certainly deserve that respect, and our members will be able to independently research a topic more easily with citations in hand.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 5-6-2002 at 14:38
Tsk, tsk.

Firstly, I'd like to thank Pu239 Stuchtiger for valiantly attempting to give due credit.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that all of the ideas I have posted here (as in, "here's an interesting idea of mine") were NOT found and plagarized from a book, which megalomania has been accusing me of at the E&W Forum.

And finally, I'd like to laugh at the E&W Forum. They closed their MEKP thread (which was copied and pasted from here), because Pu239 Stuchtiger said it was from this forum ("Madscientist was involved?! It must be shit!").

[Edited on 5-6-2002 by madscientist]

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
raistlin
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-7-2002 at 10:23
The things some people do...

Isnt it amazing how people can sit there and claim things to be there while trashing other people about not citing there things.... Personaly Madscientist is probably one of the most knowledgeable people out here, and I'm not positive, but I really doubt he wouldnt give credit where credit is due....

Raistlin
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 9-7-2002 at 12:41

I suppose I should say how this incident ended. Megalomania was apparently misled by somebody about how this forum was trying to "steal" his members, which is why he was such an ass about the citation at the time. The misunderstanding has been cleared up and when roguesci.org starts its affiliates or links page we should probably show up there.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 3-11-2003 at 17:47

Citing sources is exceedingly invaluble, expecially in the instance that a person reading the thread would like to start their own research or would like to read something "Straight from the horses mouth" if I'm just mentioning something in passing I won't cite it but if I go into some detail I will almost always give information on the book it's from.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 28-11-2003 at 22:10

What's the proper name for the E+W forum anyway?

And

Why would anyone worry about someone stealing his members?

Is he a Pimp?
Charge admission?
At risk for losing advertising royalties?

anyone?

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Iv4
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-11-2003 at 08:26

Explosives & Weapons(this bit is a joke IMHO).

My personal hatred for roguesodonomy not withstanding I wouldnt be surpried if the MEKP thread was from BS(most teste one I'v seen so far).No way could a bunch of K3wls have ocme up with that.

Anyways I've cited this place from time to time but I've always given a link.

Go To Top