Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Easy way to make plastic explosive -any standard operating procedure ?
Dr.Methyl
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-12-2014 at 09:57
Easy way to make plastic explosive -any standard operating procedure ?

Hi,

Today I would like to prepare some plastic explosive based on HE but in very low amount with the respect of the law in my country. This is olny for demonstration.

I've looked in the litterature but there are too many different kind of plastic but I retained that all process have a similar fashion :

A. Melting the HE and dissolving in a solvent.
B. Add a binder (monomer or polymer)
C. Add an additive to make polymerisation from the monomer if this latter have been used such as radical initiator (i.e. AIBN)
D. Add a plastizer
E. Add additives (optional)
F. Evaporate the solvent to have a paste.
G. Dry this paste to get the plastic.

So I have some chemicals at hand but if its not sufficent I can order them from chem companies since I am chemist.

I have :

A) HE such as urea nitrate, nitrourea, nitroguanidine, DNP, TNP (picric acid), TNR (styphnic acid). All under 1g except urea nitrate 10g. I think urea nitrate is too acidic to be used as this.
B) Binder : polystyrene, PVC powder, Perlon powder., parrafine. No NC unfortunately
D) Plasticizer : dibutyl phtalate but I can have others
E) Additives : PEG 400, polysorbate, dextrine, bentonite, ...

I tried some experiment but all have failed :

1) I dissolved 10g of hydroquinone in 50 ml boiling acetone , meanwhile i dissolved 1 of polystyrene stryofoam in 10 ml acetone add this solution to the first beaker, add 0.2 g dibutyl phtalate but the polysterene precipitated out so I tried another experiment.

2) I dissolved 10 g of p-dimethoxybenzene in 20 ml CH2Cl2, add 1g styrofoam, 0.2 g dibutyl phtalate, rotavapored the solvent and let crystalise the mixture at RT. There was some waxy products but the clumps cleave apart and the product is not malleable. failed.

3) I dissolved 1 g of styrofoam in 10ml CH2Cl2 along with 0.2g dibutyl phtalate and add ethanol. I got a good malleable plastic mixture like chewing gum but it hardens upon drying...

4) I did the same experiment whitoud dibutyl phtalate and got the same results.

Does anyone have a standard protocol to plasticize organic molecules ? There are plenty of exemple of plastic mixture but I dont know which one to choose...

help please
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-12-2014 at 10:35

Vaseline maybe?Like dissoove vaseline in petr. ether and add ETN.Let it evaporate and you have plastic.If you want,you can try Vaselate(90% KClO3 10% Vaseline)
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 26-12-2014 at 11:36

Hi- Welcome to sciencemadness.org

Read the FAQ BEFORE starting a new thread outside of beginnings. MOST especially in EM.

Remember:

It is ALLWAYS better to post in an existing thread than to open a new one!.

After you have researched the existing site threads on plastic explosives and binders, select which one you would like your thread to be merged with, PM me with that information.

I was quite torn about treating your thread this way, as you did document some experimental work!

But an hour's review of this site would have got you what you want- Please do it now, PM me and then we will merge your thread & start working on any remaining questions?

EM gets cluttered FAST when people want to start repetitive new threads on well discussed topics...

[Edited on 26-12-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Closed
26-12-2014 at 11:37

Go To Top