Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Liquid Nitrogen generator
kt5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Final exams

[*] posted on 16-1-2016 at 11:46

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  
Very interesting. Being able to make liquid nitrogen on demand would meet any cooling requirements that a chemist could possibly have, I should think!
Personally I'd be more interested in buying one than making one. The fellow mentions making and selling them for $150, but whether he's made any to sell or not I have no idea. I wonder if there are any EXISTING commercial coolers that meet the same requirement of condensing nitrogen, that anyone is aware of? Hopefully more compact, too. Perhaps these are common in smaller laboratories? If not, they certainly should be! I've got all the parts together to make a Sprengel vacuum pump, so a source of liquid nitrogen could come in useful!

[Edited on 29-12-2014 by forgottenpassword]

I think the $150 was for the RTD temperature probe and display only.
halogen
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2016 at 14:10

PTFE burns in liquid oxygen?! :o

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 02:13

So, what is the most affordable method to produce small quantities of liquid air or nitrogen in a home lab? Is anything available commercially today, let say, for the price not more than several hundreds euros? Tutorials to build a home-made compressor looks a bit complex for one who has no experience in building such kind of devices, I suspect most of them also are not "entry level" ones.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 10:11

Quote: Originally posted by teodor  
So, what is the most affordable method to produce small quantities of liquid air or nitrogen in a home lab? Is anything available commercially today, let say, for the price not more than several hundreds euros? Tutorials to build a home-made compressor looks a bit complex for one who has no experience in building such kind of devices, I suspect most of them also are not "entry level" ones.

if you can find a used cryo cooler vacuum pump you can turn that into a liquid air/nitrogen generator, i've seen them sold for $200-500.
Liquid air is easier to make, you don't need any purifying process before the liquefation stage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 10:37

Thanks Ubya, I will definitely follow offers for a used lab equipment, I think a chance to buy something like that in 200-400 bucks range should be a good deal. But I think I still need few other components to make complete system.

I saw some ready-to-use device presented in this video: https://youtu.be/dCXkaQa53QQ?t=39 . But I have an impression that it is more like a toy.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 3-11-2020 at 10:29

Quote: Originally posted by teodor  
Thanks Ubya, I will definitely follow offers for a used lab equipment, I think a chance to buy something like that in 200-400 bucks range should be a good deal. But I think I still need few other components to make complete system.

I saw some ready-to-use device presented in this video: https://youtu.be/dCXkaQa53QQ?t=39 . But I have an impression that it is more like a toy.

there are 2 "kinds" of cryo pumps, the one in the video you sent has everything in the same cylinder, then there are pumps where the helium compressor is separated from the cold head and connected via helium lines.
They both can liquefy air/nitrogen but ofc the rate is different. The compact version can't make you liters of nitrogen everyday but in general they both are pretty slow systems.
Grant Thompson made 3 years ago a video about his setup, https://youtu.be/I_qKVyQ1ry0?t=130
as you can see he used the "split" kind of pump, and to fill his dewer he still needed 1 week

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top