Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: thermogenerator experiment
nickec
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-12-2014 at 22:43
thermogenerator experiment

Recently I came across an interesting experiment. To replicate it requires doing some things I have never done. I must safely handle finely ground metal powders, gas purge a very small reactor vessel, and work with lithal.

Like many experimenters here I seek to control cost.

In my naivete I posted to the beginners thread till a wise member suggested I outline my end goal here in Technochemistry - where it belongs.

My guide for safety is Prudent Practices in the Laboratory.

I invested in Canadian Nickels and plan to homebrew ball mill to an appropriate fineness.

Thus far, my efforts to locate a source for affordable and available LAH have yet to bear fruit. I need very little lithal.

Any ideas? I first imagined I could remove lithium foil from disposable batteries - not lithium ion - and make LAH. More study indicated other reagents would better serve.

I seek guidance on procuring or synthesizing LiAlH4.

A glove box, fume hood, and fire/blast safety is in process. The sticking point right now is the lithal. :(

Thanks to all posters who have already enriched this forum and to those who will in the future benefit from this thread.

[Edited on 12-30-2014 by nickec]

nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-12-2014 at 02:33

A translation from the original Russian paper, of the experiment I am imitating - not replicating as yet - is found here.

nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 13:57

I have found a source for 50g of LiAlH4 for $62.45 USD; shipped. This suffices for 500 - 1,000 trials of my experiment. I continue to search for vendors selling smaller quantities.

Likely I will invest in 50g and sell off the surplus in smaller quantities.

[Edited on 1-12-2015 by nickec]
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 06:07

nickec, I have read through your source literature. It claims a higher thermal output than electrical energy input and I might be inclined to believe that. I look forward to your results of reproducing this experiment.

However, there is no nuclear fusion occurring as some imply, but there is chemical fusion: hydrogen is fusing with oxygen :D

In the reactor, you are decomposing LiAlH4 in a closed metal reactor at very high temperature (1000°C). This makes lots of hydrogen, resulting in very high pressure (they mention 100 atm).

Quite simply, at high temperature and very high pressure, hydrogen readily diffuses through many metals. While the hydrogen is travelling through metal, it is mono-atomic AFAIK and so quite reactive when it emerges on the other side where it will react almost instantly on the outer surface of the reactor with air to form H2O. This releases a lot of heat! The heat is well trapped partially because the reactor is coated in a porous insulator by design... alumina!!!

Anyhow, I believe you could show this by running the Rossi reactor encased in a flow of inert gas it would then show no net heat generation because the hydrogen cannot burn and will simply be carried away in the inert gas stream.

The Rossi reactor while looking cool is just a complex and expensive equivalent of wrapping nichrome wire around a piece of wood and lighting it up... sure you'll get net heat production.

BE CAREFUL, hydrogen embrittlement of the metal can weaken the reactor and this might cause it to explode under the internal pressure. Presumably this doesn't happen, but it might. I'd encase the Rossie reactor behind a brick box on the bench if it were me just in case it decides to pop... at least it can absorb some of the metal shrapnel.

Anyhow, please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to attack you, but I do mean to debunk the way this thing works.

[Edited on 18-1-2015 by deltaH]

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-1-2015 at 22:54

No attack felt here. I appreciate your input. The experiment you outlined needs doing. I find it very unusual that the reactor did not burst. Your explanation may well prove out.

Meanwhile, I am trying to reason out what reactions would occur when a mixture of

Sodium hydroxide by weight 0.8-1.2 %
Hydrous Aluminum Silicate by weight 40.0-50.0 %
Sodium Silicate by weight 40.0-50.0 % and
Calcium Metasilicate by weight 3.0-6.0 %

are heated slowly from ambient to about 1100 centigrade.

These materials should fuse and hydrogen should be liberated. I hope to better understand the reactions in greater detail.
nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 00:38

Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  

... While the hydrogen is travelling through metal, it is mono-atomic AFAIK and so quite reactive when it emerges on the other side where it will react almost instantly on the outer surface of the reactor with air to form H2O. This releases a lot of heat! ...

Anyhow, I believe you could show this by running the Rossi reactor encased in a flow of inert gas it would then show no net heat generation because the hydrogen cannot burn and will simply be carried away in the inert gas stream.

... I'd encase the Rossie reactor behind a brick box on the bench ...

[Edited on 18-1-2015 by deltaH]

Would an observer see some evidence of steam if you are correct?

I am using an armored box.
nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 00:51

This link may prove interesting to you.

It outlines a very thorough analysis of a hydrogenization event for a company I used to work for in Houston, Texas.
nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 02:38

I should also mention, though it may not affect your line of reasoning, that the reactor has no metal parts, other than heating wire, leads, and thermocouple.

The alumina paste covers the heating wire and thermocouple. Under the heating wire is an alumina tube. *No metal tube.*
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
22-11-2023 at 19:08

Go To Top