Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preferred format of information
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 21:48
Preferred format of information

With the help of the internet, paper, and film their are all sorts of ways to acquire information wether its dressed up as blog, a magazine, a movie or a forum. I was wondering what sort of medium the people of sciencemadness prefer. The medium can be anything from oral/written/digital/etc.

I like reading books(paper) as opposed to books(in adobe or other reading program) because it is easier on the eyes. I also hate carrying around a bunch of electronic shit as the stuff is very expensive if lost.
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 20:29

I agree, I like paper more than electronic documents, however I have most of my stuff is electronic files simply because paper is big and bulky and expensive. I print stuff that really interests me and isn't TOO big, which means I have two bookshelves of printed paper :P .
My hard drive holds probably hundreds of thousands of pages, which would otherwise fill most of my room with paper and cost a lot from paper and toner cartriges. Usually, to save money, I read it on my computer, or if it is going to take some time to read I skim over it on my computer, if it is useful I print it.

For electronic files, I prefer pdf's over other file types.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
andresderis
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 20:39

REAL BOOKS
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 21:31

Paper. If I'm too lazy to go to the library, I'll surf the 'net. I'll also pull up data sheets online, but data I use often (that I don't remember offhand :) ) I print.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
UniversalSolvent
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 11:16

Paper, but I archive PDFs on a flash drive because books like Vogel's and Tenney's tend to be expensive.
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 12:16

Real books are very lovely but expensive and can easily fill all your room.

I use mostly e-books in pdf and djvu format. I also have lot of page scans that i browse with AcdSee.

Sometimes i print those pages what i want to explore in detail. I rarely print pages to separate sheets. Two, four or even 9 pages to one sheet are usually readable and i also love to print to both sides. This is not for economy reasons but so i can easily take hundreds of pages with me.

In my opinion main reasons why reading in computer screen is not very convenient is just that there are still not enough pixels available. If entire page or several pages could be readably displayed at one time then it would be quite different thing.

In my opinion best e-book software has yet to be made. Djvu and pdf both have downsides. It would be usefull if we could force page images to be shown true 100% (in sense of pixel count) without any scaling to get maximum readabiltiy from poor scan. I would also like command line options so that reader could be started with book open on particular page. Both, pdf and djvu are very slow if compared to just browsing page images with AcdSee or other similar programs.

[Edited on 4-6-2006 by chromium]
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 12:50

Real books are nice, you can be anywhere without power needed.

I think some sort of book-shaped computer would be fun, it could only be used for book storage and reading, would fold in half an look like a real book, and would have page flipping buttons. And it would have to be able to hold lots and lots of books.

Go To Top