Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: White smoke upon addition of HCl to Aniline/H2O. Any ideas?
LifeisElemental
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 14:24
White smoke upon addition of HCl to Aniline/H2O. Any ideas?

Hi guys,

I hadn't planned on posting the next video I filmed here and I am not actually finished with it yet.. there's something I'm not sure how to explain in the video.

On the addition of HCl to aniline a significant amount of a dense white smoke was evolved as seen in the video below. Is this ammonium chloride? How can this form from aniline? Am I losing some of my phenylammonium chloride?

I'm sure this is something trivial or obvious but it would be great to know it so I can pass it on to viewers in the final video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTPefB624wI&feature=youtu.be

The moment happens about 20 seconds in FYI.

Thanks!
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 14:29

A small amount of aniline vapour in the air will react with the fumes of HCl to give solid phenylammonium chloride.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
ParadoxChem126
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 14:37

I have witnessed the same white fumes in the synthesis of chlorobenzene detailed here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=32851

I'm fairly certain that it is phenylammonium chloride. Aniline vapor would react with hydrogen chloride much like the way NH3 reacts with HCl. This leads me to believe that the white smoke is due to the formation of phenylammonium chloride.

However, it should not significantly affect your yield because only negligible amounts are lost as fumes.

[Edited on 1-1-2015 by ParadoxChem126]

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 15:01

O-toluidine also behaves this way, from personal experience.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 15:13

I'd assume that it's HCl vaporized by the heat of neutralization. It happens with bases much less volatile than aniline.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 16:38

Yup. Seems like a version of the old UC Berkeley chemical espionage scheme. Wherein enterprising students graded on a CURVE, improved their own grades at the expense of their classmates. A few drops of Ammonia in a competitors locker, followed by a few drops of ammonia, and "poof" ammonium chloride smoke coats all of the glassware. Loss of a whole lab period. Gotta wash and dry all of your glassware before you can do your next experiment.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 7-6-2015 at 13:05

Whoops! Meant to say:
Yup. Seems like a version of the old UC Berkeley chemical espionage scheme. Wherein enterprising students graded on a CURVE, improved their own grades at the expense of their classmates. Instill a few drops of liquid Ammonium Hydroxide into a competitors locker, followed by a few drops of Hydrochloric acid, and "poof" ammonium chloride "smoke" gradually coats all of the glassware. Loss of a whole lab period. Gotta wash and dry all of your glassware before you can do your next experiment.

Go To Top