Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 35% H2O2 technical grade
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 18:22
35% H2O2 technical grade

Hello...I have been looking for 35% hydrogen peroxide, 50% would be even better, but I'd be scared of keeping any quantity much stronger than that. Don't need rocket fuel, just enough to have on hand for general-purpose oxidizing chores around the house and basement lab. I've found various vendors on line, but they either want and arm and a leg for a few liters or else the shipping charges are more than the retail price. Where might I find a gallon or so of technical grade locally? Best I've come up with so far is from Sally's by the name 40 Volume Hair Bleach at about $4.50/liter. Any help would be much appreciated!

Emory from Alabama
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 18:29

40 Volume Hair Bleach is only 12% H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> as I learned sometime
ago. Strange, isn't it? 10 Volume is 3%, 20 volume is 6%, etc.

You can get 35% H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> from some pool supply stores, I have saw
it. I think there might be a thread around here some place on this specific chemical's acquisition
though, I think there are some readily available sources for it. There is also a thread on
concentrating it if you want to start from the hair salon stuff.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 19:20
Baquacil Shock And Oxidizer

This non-chlorine pool shock is 27.5% H2O2. Otherwise, look for "wood-bleaching" kits at
hardware stores. It really depends on how much you're willing to pay. As Bromic stated,
some non-chlorine pool bleaches can go as high as 35%. Pretty potent stuff for OTC, IMHO.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 19:56

Hydroponic stores. Cost varies between 10 and 15$ per litre (CDN$)

enhzflep
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 23:06

As Rogue Chemist pointed out, hydroponics stores are the place to get the stuff. In Aus, 500ml 50% H2O2 costs $13.50, or $80 for 5 Litres.

The refference to "Volumes" is quite simple once understood. This means quite simply, the volume of oxygen gas that may be liberated.
I.e
1L of 10 Vol (3%) liberates 10L of oxygen
1L of 20 Vol (6%) liberates 20L of oxygen
1L of 30 Vol (9%) liberates 30L of oxygen
1L of 40 Vol (12%) liberates 40L of oxygen

etc.
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 03:27

Quote:
Originally posted by enhzflep
The refference to "Volumes" is quite simple once understood. This means quite simply, the volume of oxygen gas that may be liberated.
I.e
1L of 10 Vol (3%) liberates 10L of oxygen
1L of 20 Vol (6%) liberates 20L of oxygen
1L of 30 Vol (9%) liberates 30L of oxygen
1L of 40 Vol (12%) liberates 40L of oxygen

etc.

Wow, I didn't know that. Interesting fact to know :)
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 03:55
Mail

One site listed 4 gallons of the Baquacil at 69 USD, but also mentioned the HAZMAT fee. Count
on adding at least 20 USD to shipping costs if you go that route. The only savings would be
in this bulk form as the fee applies to the whole shipment, IIRC. Otherwise, it's best to find a
local supplier. Again, it depends upon your needs.

Enhzflep, that's a rather odd unit of measure, but interesting nonetheless. Thanks !

[Edited on 2006/6/7 by MadHatter]

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

thumbup.gif posted on 7-6-2006 at 04:42
35% technical H2O2

Thank all of you for your prompt and helpful replies to my query. I had not considered pool and spa supplier as possible source - will check it out. BTW I suspect the salon-grade 40- volume H2O2 I procured weaker than 12%. I suppose I could decompose a known amount and see if it actually does evolve 40-fold its volume in O2. Is the percent strength figured by weight or by volume? A little MnOx or blood meal should work OK as catalyst...this could be interesting. anyways, thanks again!
enhzflep
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 04:55

Elawr,
I have in front of me a 1L bottle of "Hi Lift Creme Peroxide For Hair 40 Vol - 12%"
It states under the CAUTION warning that it "contains Hydrogen Peroxide 120ml/L"

So that's vol/vol

Also I have several bottles of
"OXY PLUS - Sanitiser and oxygenator for hydroponic systems"
"Active ingredient: 50% Hydrogen Peroxide."

From Memory 500ml of this weighed 600 odd grams, which roughly equated to 250ml of (100%)H2O2.

So that's also vol/vol.

Dodgy suppliers may sell it as 50% w/vol - or 250gms of H2O2 in 500ml, which would clearly weigh less than 600g. (250g H2O2(@d=1.4) + 321g H2O)

Don't know about catalysts though. :(
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 10:18

"I suppose I could decompose a known amount and see if it actually does evolve 40-fold its volume in O2. Is the percent strength figured by weight or by volume? A little MnOx or blood meal should work OK as catalyst...this could be interesting. anyways, thanks again! "
40 volumes peroxide will, under these circumstances give 20 times its volume of oxygen. (Baker's yeast works as a catalyst too).
The "volumes" they talk about are released when it is oxidised, eg by KMnO4.

Go To Top