Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Molybdenum - how to etch/roughen?
lahthffire
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 13:31
Molybdenum - how to etch/roughen?

I need to figure out a way to take molybdenum sheet with a smooth surface finish and roughen it. Abrasive blasting hasn't worked all that well. A belt sander does work OK, but I want to find another solution; a chemical one. There's always the worry of contamination of the metal surface with the abrasive media in the above two methods.

So what would be a good acid / other chemical to use for etching?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 13:48

If you want it hell ass rough I don't think chemical means will be very useful, aside from nasty pitting if you can make it. Getting such a deep corrosion is going to use a lot of metal, too.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
lordmagnus
Hazard to Self

Mood: No longer annoyed ( I found a new girlfriend)

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 20:46

Good luck,

Maybe hydroflouric acid at various dilutions. The old Steel divers airtanks were coated with a few layers of molybdenum t resist corrosion, I don't think I've ever seen one actually rust

I\'ll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he is gonna start a fair fight, or if he\'s bothrn me allot, or if I am getin payed good, or probably over a good woman.

-Jayne Cobb (Serenity)

chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 02:18

If you have time to experiment, you may try to use your molybdenum as anode in electrolytic cell with different electrolytes. Some of electrolytes may appear quite destructive to surface but then again they may just passivate or oxidise surface. Some amount of HF (or maybe just NaF) is probably needed to get etching to work.

Go To Top