Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crystals formed in my acetone. What could they be?
nannah
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 13:57
Crystals formed in my acetone. What could they be?

Hi guys. Today when i took a look at my OTC acetone i found that small white crystals had formed. I have it standing in the fridge, in a erlenmeyer flask thats wrapped in aluminum foil to keep it from evaporating.

Before i put it in the fridge a couple of days ago i tried to dry it with some CaCl² to see if there were any water in it.

On the bottle and its msds it said that its just acetone in there.

/n
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 14:08

Weird. Maybe a very small amount of calcium chloride dissolved in the acetone, and crystallized out when you put it in the fridge.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 14:13

Get a crystal out, dry it and place in a methanol or natural gas burner flame on a clean loop of Pt wire. Does it give the characteristic Calcium pink-orange spectrum to a flame?

[Edited on 4-1-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 15:38
use of CaCl2 with ketones and aldehydes

Due to the possible presence and/or formation of Ca(OH)2 and CaCl(OH) using CaCl2 is not recommended so even if the test for CaCl2 fails you may have one of the impurities listed ppt or a reaction product from the reaction of hydroxyl with acetone (http://bit.ly/1AcxPSh). I haven't worked through this but I would imagine a small degree of nucleophillic attack (Bert?)possibly forming a ppt. You might try a melting point.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top