Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scikit / Boreal Labs
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 13:55
Scikit / Boreal Labs

I ran across this site:
http://www.sciencekit.com/

They seem to have a very good selection of chemicals at reasonable prices. I read their policy and don't see anything about not selling to individuals. I just created a test order that included HNO3 and I seemed to get all the way through the ordering process to where I would enter credit card information for billing. It said standard shipping was $7 - that seems a bit low when order includes 500ml HNO3.

Has anyone ordered from this company before? A search of the forum for the name did not find any match.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 14:44

I've looked at that website before and was under the impression that I couldn't order chemicals. I just checked out their "FAQ" where they say you have to be a teacher to order "restricted" items. So I'll be surprised (and delighted) if you get your nitric acid.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 15:03

I have the catalog for Nothwest/Boreal Scientific. I tried a phone order once. I was unsucessful in obtaining chemicals as I "was not a school or business". I am pretty sure the two are similar as Boreal conglomerated with some other scientific companies.

Im not saying don't try though;)

[Edited on 12-6-2006 by rogue chemist]

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 15:48

I've ordered equiptment from them without problem, but never any chemicals. Give it a try.

hodges
National Hazard

thumbdown.gif posted on 12-6-2006 at 17:27

Yeah its not letting me complete my order, even just for the platinum wire. It says that "restricted" items can only be shipped to a school.

I see some other dangerous things are restricted as well.... :mad:

DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 19:06

I will assume that you are a high school student. Any who follow what I did.

I recently made a chemistry order for some various chemicals through Ward's. I told my chemistry teacher that I would like to make an order for some chemicals and provided him with an order. He said that the chemicals were ok[nothing too dangerous]. My dad sent in the order via fax machine and had the shipping address set to my high school. Within a week or so the package had arrived with everything I wanted. Except for one item but that was on back order:(

If your order does not work out have your science teacher call the company and something could possibly be arranged or have an adult/you call the company and arrange something. I called my place first before ordering. Good luck...

Kind of going off of what Rouge scientist said... Prehaps if you make enough orders using my method POSSIBLY you might be able to earn their trust. This is just a possible "theory".
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-6-2006 at 20:19

I think the trust you have to earn is that of your chemistry teacher. The supply houses like to make the sale. They just have to follow their "rules." Selling to a school teacher is allowed by their "rules."

Selling spring water to a private citizen does not fit within Boreal's "rules."

[Edited on 13-6-2006 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top