Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sciencemadness file hosting
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 23:18

IrC, you should let MadHatter know about this. Actually this whole exchange should have been posted in his FTP thread.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 14:52

As some of you know I am very much into collecting scanned books. I have a freind who worked with me who is now a "power" in a State library. She has given me access to micro-fishe scans of all the books in the State!
Some of you have my Email and I have long said I am happy to share what I have but Email is a poor way to share some of the larger files (most anything over 20Mb). I just got a serious collection of stuff related to organic / inorganic chem, energetic materials, etc. - and I have been having bad luck with file sharing via web-hosted file sharing pages.
What is the method of using torrents via a private party to party technique? Could this be done in some manner for the users of this board only?
Before I was BANNED as RS (for what, I do not know - nor have ever known) they were experimenting with torrents for their board - could this be done here?

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 23:52

I'd stick to the FTPs. The problem with torrents is that peers can see each other's IP addresses. FTPs don't have this problem, assuming the operator of the FTP is legit.

For better compression, I'd suggest looking into converting the books to DJVU format. I have a 3MB DJVU chemistry book full of text and structures, very clean and ~400 pages. That's good compression, IMO.

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 07:22

Point well taken. I'll use the FTP. - The djvu format is smaller; that I know but can it be searched as well?
I got a scan of a text book on energetic materials from 1919 and it was an OCR with JUST TEXT! Well this thing is only 400k for a full classic textbook. - It's new to the "community" I believe so I am enclosing it for download example (compressed with RAR it drops to 100k)
EXPLOSIVES BY E. DE BARRY BARNETT, B.Sc.(Lo ND .), A.I.C.
CONSULTING CHEMIST AND MANAGER TO BAGLBY, MILLS AND CO., LTD., FORMERLY
WORKS CHEMIST, NATIONAL EXPLOSIVES CO., LTD., AND WORKS MANAGER,
STOCKTON-ON-TEES CHEMICAL WORKS, LTD. Britiish explosive textbook 1919.

[Edited on 8-1-2007 by quicksilver]

Attachment: explos_ttxtbook-BARNETT_1919L.rar (110kB)
This file has been downloaded 2318 times

alancj
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-6-2007 at 22:43

WinRAR gives me an "unexpected end of archive" error message when I extract that file. So I think it may be corrupt.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2007 at 03:37

There is an utility called "Advanced RAR Repair" which could be used. My download of it was OK; it is a TXT file containing the text only of a 28-Mb PDF of the book which also was available then.
tito-o-mac
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2007 at 06:31

It is definitely more convenient to understand and be able to read and "see" at the same time. Thanks for the feature anyway.:P
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 6-7-2007 at 19:20

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver
As some of you know I am very much into collecting scanned books. I have a freind who worked with me who is now a "power" in a State library. She has given me access to micro-fishe scans of all the books in the State!
Some of you have my Email and I have long said I am happy to share what I have but Email is a poor way to share some of the larger files (most anything over 20Mb). I just got a serious collection of stuff related to organic / inorganic chem, energetic materials, etc. - and I have been having bad luck with file sharing via web-hosted file sharing pages.
What is the method of using torrents via a private party to party technique? Could this be done in some manner for the users of this board only?
Before I was BANNED as RS (for what, I do not know - nor have ever known) they were experimenting with torrents for their board - could this be done here?

I suggest 4share, they give one gig for each valid e-mail address so one could have many and there the files are safe and ver accessible if an ftp is not available.......solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
CycloKnight
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still waiting for the emulsion to settle.

[*] posted on 29-11-2013 at 16:54

Could someone please tell me if the scipics directory is still accepting uploads? I've been trying for some time to connect using my FTP software so I can upload photos, but it's not working. I'm using scipics as username and password which used to work fine. Now, I keep getting:
Status: Delaying connection for 1 second due to previously failed connection attempt...
Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error: Could not connect to server

Any suggestion would be much appreciated !
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 29-11-2013 at 17:27

It's been disabled for a while now. Not sure when (or even if) it'll come back.

CycloKnight
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still waiting for the emulsion to settle.

[*] posted on 29-11-2013 at 18:59

Thanks bfesser, I'm relieved at least now I can now stop trying to fix a non-existent problem ! :D
Off site image hosting I guess it'll have to be then.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top