Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Water to Fire....
oscar145
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 02:14
potassium + water

if you mix potassium with water you will have an explosion but the fumes are flammable or potassium permanganate+ glycerine.
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyboy
im looking at different reactions that start a fire when you add water..

aluminum powder + silver nitrate

zinc powder + ammonium nitrate + ammonium chloride

aluminum powder + sodium peroxide

any others come to mind?

aluminum - zinc and magnesium powder could be used interchangeably in most of these i would think..

[Edited on 15-6-2006 by jimmyboy]

ah... pyrotechnics..
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 16:13

Hello,

I had found a cool one involving cerium ammonium nitrate, potassium bromate and malonic acid. I copied the text from the ACS safety notes page and it can be found here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=7163

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 19:12

hehe this thread gave me the giggles whats your guys idea of a troll is it the same as a hive/WD troll or just a harden patriot.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 31-10-2019 at 13:02

When I was a kid, 40 years ago, I had a teaspoon or sodium peroxide mixed with aluminum powder. I added a drop of water and it went off in a flash that left me half blind for a while and with a white face and almost no eyebrows. Cant remember if I wore safety glasses but my eyes recovered quickly.
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-10-2019 at 14:09

When I was about eleven I bought some calcium hypochlorite 70% and found it burned with a lot of things. Cox glow fuel turned the granules a pretty orange and then it burst into crackling flames. But with sulfur it would light on fire when sprinkled with water. But later I learned it didn't need water. I had put some of the mix in a short wide mouth plastic jar of sublime sulfur bought at a pharmacy, perhaps a tablespoon or so of the mix.

Then I showed it to my 21 year older brother this stuff that lights on fire when sprinkled with water I said. Just as soon as he had unscrewed the lid and tilted the jar to glance at it it flashed which resulted in a few specks on his glasses and a few tiny dots/burns on his forehead. I had powdered the pool chlorine which made it go faster as well.

So after a few wet washcloths on his face he remarked "very funny" to which I felt badly for not knowing it would do that. My mother was on the phone with my dad who was overseas at the time and having witnessed the event, thankfully didn't relay the fireworks to my dad, although her body language would have.

Oh those wonder years ...

[Edited on 31-10-2019 by Morgan]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top