Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: N-methylhydroxylamine preparation
Crypto
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 09:17
N-methylhydroxylamine preparation

The procedure is taken from the ,,Laboratory methods of organic chemistry" by L. Gattermann.

An aqueous solution of nitromethane is mixed with about its own weight of ammonium chloride, the mixture is then cooled (temperature about 10°) and three parts of zinc dust are added in small portions with constant shaking. Zinc dust is now removed by filtration, and it is found that the filtrate reduces ammoniacal silver and Fehling's solutions.

I want to give it a try but not everything is clear to me. What is suppose to be the ratio between water and nitromethane and what would be the most convenient way to separate the product from the solution?
Pasrules
Hazard to Self

Mood: Lacking an S orbital

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 13:22

As part of some drug research at university we made the same molecule by nucleophilic substitution of hydroxylamine and methyl chloride. I can't share the notes as they are not my property however the research was into the use of N-methylhydroxylamine as a route to make methamphetamine which was accomplished and then destroyed. Which leads me to ask why would you be wanting to make this stuff?

Public reference avaliable: http://chemistry.mdma.ch/hiveboard/rhodium/pdf/meth.2-methyl...

Atropine, Bicarb, Calcium.

Go To Top