Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Additive to Hydrogen Peroxide for rocket engines
Astroboy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 10-4-2003 at 16:16
Additive to Hydrogen Peroxide for rocket engines

To the audience of Energetic Materials:

This is my first topic placement on this forum. I'd like to firstly congratulate all of you for carrying such a professional and interesting site, which I've been visiting for some time.

I decided to join the group, because I now believe that some of you might have the answer to my problem.

I run a small shop designing rocket engines and catalyst for amateur rocketry. My specialty is catalyst for hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) decomposition. H2O2 as you may know, has been used since the 1920's in torpedo engine O2 source, V2 rocket turbine drive, Redstone missile, Lunar landing module trainer and many reaction control rockets in satellites (Telstar) and early space rockets (Gemini). All of these applications used H2O2 concentrations from 70wt.% to up to 98wt.%.

Now that I set the mood properly, my reason for addressing you is to seek help in the search for an additive to ioncrease the decomposition energy of H2O2 of concentrations of 50wt.% to 65wt.%. The reason being that, only two companies supply 90wt.% peroxide (FMC and Degussa) and they do not make it available to private or small companies, only to military or NASA/ESA like agencies.

The performance of 90wt.% H2O2 is such that it can be safely used without a fuel (hydrocarbon or other), in a form known as "monopropellant" or monergol mode.

Silver mesh screens are used to decompose catalytically the peroxide into water + O2 + heat. The adiabatic decomposition temperature of 90wt.% is 740C vaporizing the water into superheated steam. Below 70wt.% (233C) there is enough water in the solution to quench the decomposition reaction and the thrust is dramatically diminished.

What I am looking for is for an organic or inorganic additive to 50wt.% peroxide solutions (easily available from several sources for pulp and bleach industry at U$S 1.50/kilo) so it would have enough energy to simulate the performance of 90wt.% peroxide.

In the past alcohols have been added with sad outcome. Above 6 to 9wt.% of ethylic or methylic alcohols with H2O2 forms unstable ternary mixtures that are explosive. Lots of data on this by NASA, FMC, Degussa.

I am looking into the possibility of adding Hydroxyl Nitro Urea (CH3N3O4, F.W.-121) or hydrazine nitrate (acidic) and see if I can boost the 50wt.% to 90wt.% performance. BTW, 90wt.% peroxide has a decomposition products volume ratio of 5,000 (for every liter of peroxide decomposed, 5,000 liters of gas is produced, oxygen plus superheated steam).

Well enough ranting. Can anyone bless me with suggestions on how I might achieve my goals.

Sincerely,

Astroboy

\"Any time lost uphill, can never be recovered downhill.\"
J. M. Fangio - Five times F1 World Champion
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

smile.gif posted on 11-4-2003 at 05:31

50% H2O2 by weight means 1000g contain 500g H2O (27,77 mole) and 500g H2O2 (14,70 mole)!

14,7 mole of H2O2 will free 7,35 mole O2 (235g)!

The admixion of NH2-NH2 (82%) is roughly 100% NH2-NH3OH (comercially available);it is stable but might be hypergolic in contact with H2O2!So better keep the two separated and injected in the reaction room!

NH2-NH3OH + O2 --> N2(g) + 3H2O(g) + heat
1kg of 100% NH2-NH3OH is thus 20 mole/kg!

To use properly the O2 available in the 50% H2O2 you will need 2,72 kg H2O2 per kg NH2-NH2 82%!

Thus final equation is:
3H2O + 2H2O2 + NH2-NH2 --> N2(g) + 7H2O(g)

You have to gather standard heat of burning of NH2-NH2; standard heat of decomposition of 2H2O2 and use that energy to heat up 7 H2O and N2(g); then you will know the final T obtained and you would be able to estimate trust or kilo ratio)!

The use of NH2-NH3ONO2 has the problem it is solid fuel and has a positive OB!
The use of "Hydroxyl Nitro Urea (CH3N3O4, F.W.-121)" should lead to even more troubles!
NH2-CO-NH-NO2 is nitrourea (CH3N3O3) I don't see where the OH would go and what it would do to help stability???

I'll keep searching for infos!And results!

:cool:

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Astroboy
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-4-2003 at 07:54
more on Hydrogen Peroxide impetus improver

Dear PHILOU:

Thank you very much for replying to my post. Yes I do not want to mix hydrazine with H2O2 as they are hypergolic. In fact I do not want to make hypergolic mixtures with my 50wt.%.

What I am wishing for is an additive to 50wt.% peroxide that would be stable with the peroxide until it is time to decompose it in the thrust chamber, by contacting a catalyst, most typically silver mesh screens.

For example in the 1960 FMC experiemented with a mixture of 67.8wt.% H2O2 (100wt.%) + 6.8wt.% Diethylene Glycol (C4-H10-O3) + 25.4wt.% H2O. This mixture with a density of 1.309gm/cc and a BP=225F had a specific Impulse (Isp) equal AND greater than 100wt.% H2O2 at 1ATM exhaust pressure.

The problem with this mixture is that I need to start with 67.8wt.% of 100wt.% H2O2 and, again that is hard or laboriously done (not to mention risky).

The ideal additive would be one that could be used alone or in conjuction with other additives into starting peroxide solutions of 50wt.%

Astroboy
------------------------------------------------------

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 11-4-2003 at 18:14
suggestion from Mr. Anonymous

Quote:
What about adding propylene oxide, and / or nitromethane to the percentage of its solubility in the mixture? Such a mixture might work, if everything in the mixture is unreactive with each other.
Astroboy
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2003 at 18:15
Propylene oxide??

Quote:
Originally posted by Polverone
Quote:
What about adding propylene oxide, and / or nitromethane to the percentage of its solubility in the mixture?

NITROMETHANE I KNOW IT MIGHT NOT WORK FROM SOME TEST DONE IN THE 60'S, BUT PROPYLENE OXIDE? I'LL HAVE TO LOOK INTO IT. SOLUBILITY AND STABILITY IS THE QUESTION.

THANKS,

ASTROBOY
Such a mixture might work, if everything in the mixture is unreactive with each other.

Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2003 at 07:00

Virtually any reducing agent you add in quantity that will significantly affect performance will render the mixture detonatable, as you have a mixture of oxidising agent and reducing agent mixed at the molecular level and this is usually all that is required.

Epoxides are strained and participate readily in ring opening reactions, probably resulting in a mixture of glycols and hydroperoxides. I'm not sure how fast in the slightly acidic peroxide solution this would be, but its not anything Id want to try.

In small amounts concentration of the peroxide solution is possible, through without resorting to distillation loss will significant and production will be very slow, whatever method you choose, evporation, freezing out...

If you really want to go this route, having people suggest additives there is no data for, will only cause accidents. Pick a known mixture, study the detonation curve, pick a distance far enough away from it to be considered safe, then attempt to detonate the mixture deliberatly under different conditions. The curves last I looked suggested that pure peroxide solution can be detonated and this is not I think the case, the amount of oxidiser needed is tiny the higher the concentration you go though. The vapour above 90% peroxide will detonate without anything added IIRC producing higher than the 78%? concentration limit needed in the gas phase.

If you are registered to make the rockets, have the requisite health and safety stuff, then you should be able to find someone to sell you 70%+ peroxide which should be better performing than any safe mixture with 50% you could make would be. If you are after a bit of extra power this should be enough, but if you are after all out performance 90% peroxide monopropellent would not be enough either.

[Edited on 15-4-2003 by Marvin]
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 19:25

Never too late to add to the knowledge base
Invaluable propellant data resource : http://www.astronautix.com/props/index.htm