Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solar pool heater
FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2006 at 16:48
Solar pool heater

I'd like to make a simple solar heater for my small above ground pool. It's a smaller unit (~3000 gal).

What I'm wondering is how those commercial 2' X 20' panels work. From the pictures of the units, it looks like there's a manifold on one end, with an inlet on the bottom and an outlet on the top, with many little HDPE tubes connected off the side of the manifold and running 20' to another manifold which ties them all together.

So, perforating 2 pieces of 2" X 2' HDPE pipe down one side with holes big enough to attach lengths of tubing via barbs, capping both ends of the far pipe, and attaching input and output fittings to the near pipe should do what I want, right?

Have any of you guys seen this type of panel before?

http://www.propools.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/products/heat...

[Edited on 27-6-2006 by FrankRizzo]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-6-2006 at 14:15

Yes, I have seen those used before for a community swimming pool (80,000 gal) of which I was once a member. We had 4 or 5 panels mounted on a west facing roof of the pumproom/shower/toilet building located next to the pool. They worked as advertised as I recall.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2006 at 16:48

I don't know how they work, but this might be similar, or at least work for the intended application. It's a solar powered water heater, that is also dirt cheap and made from old junk.

http://www.thesietch.org/projects/solarthermalpanel2/index.h...
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top